It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor folks need not apply for prescription help.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
It's a sliding scale because the drug company that makes the only medicine that may save your life or keep you alive has to adapt to the dynamic situations all of us find ourselves in at different times.

While the system needs an entire overhaul, it's hard to deny someone the only thing that might keep them from dying. The drug companies don't want the negative press. Otherwise, you make a good point.

edit on 16-8-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Oh ok cool, just wondering. They seem to be using triglyceride/hdl ratio for a more accurate heart attack risk now.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I don't understand a lot of things about insurance, mmkay? I'm just too stoopid I guess.

I really don't understand 5,000 dollar deductibles--which is what I have.

Doesn't that pretty much mean I have insurance, but can never use it?

I certainly can't afford 5,000 a year.

I just never understood it. If it's too difficult to understand, it's probably a scam.

edit on 16-8-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

I'd be willing to bet this is restricted to the US. That's what ticks me off. I'm fine; you can't kill a redneck, you have to get us to kill ourselves ("Somebody hold my beer.").

This is just one more example though of a governmental program sold as a way to help people actually hurting the people who need the help the most.

I caught the tail end of a news report earlier today about epipen costs rising 500%. Remember the AIDS drug that went up a few thousand percent? I have helped my mother find ways to reduce her medicine costs... her co-pay on Lyrica alone is $100 a month, and she's got double coverage. Then try shopping for healthy food... the cost is triple or better than the junk-filled processed food.

If we really wanted to address Healthcare in this country, we'd be busy making quality food affordable and medication reasonable... not trying to create an insurance website.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Our own gov't for profit, has allowed themselves to consider themselves God...

If you were sitting on large pile of cash and influence, you'd get what you need pro bono...

smh...

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
Some of you may know (most probably won't) that I recently suffered a heart attack due to a 100% blocked carotid artery. Don't celebrate just yet; I'm fine, got a strong heart and an attitude issue when it comes to not breathing. I also have a stent in that artery. With any foreign object safely tucked away in living flesh comes the need for anti-platelet medication, and that even includes rednecks apparently.

My doctor's choice was a little pill called Effient. Now this particular little pill is apparently made of some very precious stuff. Walmart Pharmacy wants $410 a month for it. I was smart enough to check the price before leaving the hospital, so the doctors are sampling me mine... but what about others? Who can afford to just start dishing out that kind of money?

Well, it turns out the manufacturer isn't completely heartless. They have a program to help patients by giving them free Effient for one year, more than the time I am expected to need it, but look closely: there's a catch!

*This offer is invalid for cash-paying patients and those patients whose prescription claims are eligible to be reimbursed, in whole or in part, by any governmental program. Patient's responsibility may exceed $0 depending on the pharmacy provider. Other restrictions may apply.

In simpler terms, if you have insurance, you can get it free if insurance doesn't cover it. If you're too poor to have insurance, or if you have Medicare/Medicaid, you're out of luck; pay up.

I find this tremendously unfair and about as despicable a policy as I can imagine. Financial help for those who don't need it, none for those who do? I think this is one of those things that need to desperately be exposed.

So, what say you, ATS?

TheRedneck

Our Wal-Mart pharmacy wanted $455 for Effient. There is a program called "Lilly Cares" that can help patients with the cost of their meds, but you have to fill out paper work to get it. Check with your cardiologists office about it.

You could ask if there is a substitute for the Effient. Plavix is available as a generic and ran between $70 at Walgreens to $30 at Wal-Mart. When my husband was out of work for a while he went with Plavix and ended up with less bruising than with Effient.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

First,I want to tell you how sorry I am about your health problem.
Second,my husband also has an artery that is 100% blocked and the
artery on the other side of his neck is 60%.He has had three strokes
because of these blockages.
I have been cutting back on his red meat and pork.I have been giving
him more vegetables and fruits.He gets a good multi-vitamin and fish oil
and flax seed oil.
Some of his prescriptions are pricey,even with good insurance.Please
be careful and take care of yourself.You could also have a stroke besides
the heart attack.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Eat lots of fruits and veggies.
Drink what many would judge as excessive amounts of spirits.
It'll cure what ails ya.
Worked for me at least.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Cheddarhead

That may have been the reason he wanted me on Effient: I don't bruise easy. I left with one bruise from an IV... nothing from the cath.

If there is a problem getting the Effient, he's already told me Plavix is an option, just like if the Lipitor becomes too expensive, there are other statins cheaper, just less effective.

How many patients check prescription prices and research alternatives lying in a hospital bed, though?

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

a reply to: eeyipes

Wow, that is helpful! Thank you! They are sampling me for the three months I need them, but just in case that runs into a snag...

The thing is, even the hospital and the doctor couldn't tell me about this card. I have ATS, but how many people don't?

TheRedneck

We had the card for a while. Even with insurance the copay was $80, the card cut it to 0.

You're only effient for 3 months? We were told about 9 months to a year to prevent any clots plugging up the stent.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Lipitor is available as a generic, about $20 self pay if I remember right.

Here's some info for down the road. Check into the FMLA intermittent leave. It will help cover you at your job if you need time off periodically for appointments or a day you just don't feel well and call in.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Cheddarhead

3 months is what they said. They want me off it so I can play jigsaw puzzle. My goal is to fix the problem before they get scalpel-happy. Where I come from, anyone approaching with a cutting implement is a bad thing and generally leads to the use of weaponry in self-defense.

I always use generic.... always.

My job is being very considerate. I have been off for two weeks, only went in once for 4 hours. I even get a few hours of work in from home when I can crawl out to my shop. Can't really ask for more than that.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Check your PM.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I caught the tail end of a news report earlier today about epipen costs rising 500%. Remember the AIDS drug that went up a few thousand percent? I have helped my mother find ways to reduce her medicine costs... her co-pay on Lyrica alone is $100 a month, and she's got double coverage. Then try shopping for healthy food... the cost is triple or better than the junk-filled processed food.

A typical cancer drug IV bag dose is $10,000+.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   

a reply to: Nathieu

How about we limit the cost of any prescribed drug to an annual cost of 1% of the patient's annual net income? No coupons, no crazy prices, no shopping around. Just go get your meds.

I'd bet doctors would look a lot harder at expensive drugs, and pharmaceuticals wouldn't be able to rape the poor.

TheRedneck

I hope you come out of this with your health restored.

Sounds like our friends that do some R and D, test, market and make pills need some REGULATION. Funny how REGULATIONS are a dirty word until we find ourselves at the mercy of any of the numerous machines we face.

Remember it is always about money, every time and all the time.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I find this tremendously unfair and about as despicable a policy as I can imagine. Financial help for those who don't need it, none for those who do? I think this is one of those things that need to desperately be exposed. 

In many cases, the Manufacturer's voucher cannot be legally used with tax funded programs such as Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, FEP, etc.

People pay an arm and a leg for drugs because the DEA and FDA is so far up the medical industry's ass that it costs a fortune to produce new drugs.

The you have cases like colchicine. It was an excellent drug that was dirt cheap until the FDA demanded drug companies to re submit paper work, then it was re-released as brand only Colcrys, and it still costs a fortune. One of the oldest and most effective drugs on the market held hostage be the FDA.

Its not always just the drug company's greed. Its the favoritist policies of the EPA, DEA, and FDA.

I deal with this stuff every day. The source of our problems in the medical industry is government intervention and cronyism.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   

There is a coupon you can download online for EVERYONE by the Rx Discount site. Use it and get up to 80% off...no restrictions at all locations.

As well...you can contact that pharmaceutical company directly. They have programs funded and will/can provide your meds free.

I currently use both. The online Rx Discount coupon I printed...just saved me $125.00 on a $165.00 a month pill for arythmia.

I paid $39 for a $165 script. No questions asked, no restrictions on using the coupon. No stores or locations excluded. GO for it. Good luck.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

This is off topic, please excuse. I think you may mean you had a blockage in a coronary artery. Simple mistake. The carotid artery goes up your neck to the brain and is blockage is responsible for strokes. Maybe you have time to change it.

My condolences. Our Pharma prices are geared for the wealthy otherwise, you are of no consequence. I don't even know how you live on that amount of money. Talk to a pharmacist, they may have information you aren't privy to.

Best wishes to you.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

My great neighbor recently passed away after having Fought 7 dlifferent cancers for over a decade. Great guy and will surely be missed. Such an event makes one contemplate and question life and the after life.

I don't have a factual answer in regards to the purpose of life if any or whether the after life exist. However I do know one thing when I die , if possible then I will find a way to fix the corruption within govt that is putting greed and bs priorities at the forefront. Perhaps I will start an ATS thread about such a pledge,lol? We need all the help we can get because the majority are distracted from the real issues in this reality.

Besides a miracle or Devine intervention I don't see things getting better for future generations.

It makes me sick thinking how disgusting the pharmaceutical companies are by taking advantage of people at there most desperate times.

Anyhow glad you are well.

edit on 19831America/ChicagoTue, 16 Aug 2016 22:19:23 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22831America/ChicagoTue, 16 Aug 2016 22:22:15 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   

O.P. Here are the 2 discount sites accepted everywhere-no restrictions. Download yours. Good luck again....

www.rxpharmacycoupons.com...

www.goodrx.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join