It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor folks need not apply for prescription help.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Some of you may know (most probably won't) that I recently suffered a heart attack due to a 100% blocked carotid artery. Don't celebrate just yet; I'm fine, got a strong heart and an attitude issue when it comes to not breathing. I also have a stent in that artery. With any foreign object safely tucked away in living flesh comes the need for anti-platelet medication, and that even includes rednecks apparently.

My doctor's choice was a little pill called Effient. Now this particular little pill is apparently made of some very precious stuff. Walmart Pharmacy wants $410 a month for it. I was smart enough to check the price before leaving the hospital, so the doctors are sampling me mine... but what about others? Who can afford to just start dishing out that kind of money?

Well, it turns out the manufacturer isn't completely heartless. They have a program to help patients by giving them free Effient for one year, more than the time I am expected to need it, but look closely: there's a catch!

*This offer is invalid for cash-paying patients and those patients whose prescription claims are eligible to be reimbursed, in whole or in part, by any governmental program. Patient's responsibility may exceed $0 depending on the pharmacy provider. Other restrictions may apply.

In simpler terms, if you have insurance, you can get it free if insurance doesn't cover it. If you're too poor to have insurance, or if you have Medicare/Medicaid, you're out of luck; pay up.

I find this tremendously unfair and about as despicable a policy as I can imagine. Financial help for those who don't need it, none for those who do? I think this is one of those things that need to desperately be exposed.

So, what say you, ATS?

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
but thanks to obamacare everyone has insurance now

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Actually...

I don't make enough to qualify for Obamacare, and Medicaid is unavailable because I make over $400 per month.

Thank you, Washington. Thank you, Montgomery.

God save me from people trying to save me.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Faced with the same #...Farixga is $4310.00 a month (30 pills) for cash/non-insurance customers. If you have insurance or your insurance does not cover the drug the company offers a coupon...yep, you get it free or no copay.

The coupon will reduced the $431 by $150 for cash/non-inusrance customer...so that is something. Fortunately I can afford the stuff...many can not.

This is the scam...the drug company support the insurance companies...have insurance get benefits...don't purchase insurance no cost support from the drug company.

The Irish say it well...you are fooked!

Cheers

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Is this a calcium blockage, cholesterol or both? I am happy to hear you made it through the coronary.

If Calcium... eat K2 rich foods (deep leafy greens) as Mk7 much of todays heart disease etc.. is a result of dairy derived and otherwise calcium without attached K2 as mk7 that occurs naturally. There are whole food supplement sources available if your diet doesnt accommodate the resource mentioned.

As for the robbing of the American taxpayer by ever inflating insurance costs, I think the response you expect is obvious. I am sorry that people with little expendable income are put in this position, I am even more sorry that real education in the matter is ignored, even ridiculed in order to bolster the economic gain of corporations, lobbyists, professors and the rest of the ilk.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I think big pharma, FDA, medicaid all need to be expose for the lying fraud money hungry pigs they are.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Please check this out ... Drugs.com Prescription Discount Card

We don't really have prescription coverage with our insurance and this card saves me a lot of money.

I checked your Effient ... a once a day 10 mg supply for 30 days runs between $19-$22 a month at pharmacies in my area with this discount card. The discount card is free, but if you read the fine print the catch is they use information about purchases for marketing. Fine with me if it saves me mega money on prescriptions.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Cholesterol. Triglyceride count was 528... the doc said that was high.

Don't worry, I'm also on pills for that and (doctor OK'd) supplements to supercharge them. I have two more arteries 80-90% blocked, and they want me to be the frog in biology class in a few months. If I thought injecting Drano would help, I'd probably try it.

Real education can only be ignored if people choose to ignore it. The whole point of this thread is: stop ignoring it and speak out!

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

In simpler terms, if you have insurance, you can get it free if insurance doesn't cover it. If you're too poor to have insurance, or if you have Medicare/Medicaid, you're out of luck; pay up.

Medicare has a prescription drug component, Part D. Make sure you check that out. I just looked up the drug in the Medicare Advantage program I am on in their "Formulary" and it IS there and covered as a "Tier 3" (Preferred Brand). There is a co-pay, but nowhere near what you listed. Also, it's worth stating that it is one of a dozen drugs in this category, some of which are generics and "Tier 1" which is a whole lot cheaper, as in negligible.

So, you may actually be covered. But even if you are not, follow through with your doctor and see if he is willing to prescribe an equivalent generic. Doctors will frequently prescribe the newest and best without regard to cost, perhaps influenced by advertising directed at doctors. My eye doctor did this by prescribing drug costing $120 a bottle: Travatan. I pointed out to him that a generic "tan" cost $17 and he almost reluctantly said okay. It's been working fine.

Also, the drug goes off its patent in April, 2017. There's no guarantee there will be a generic replica for it, but there might be.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: eeyipes

The saying "No such thing as free" is so true. Atleast in society. The new unseen currency is information. It just makes certain things seems free.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: eeyipes

Wow, that is helpful! Thank you! They are sampling me for the three months I need them, but just in case that runs into a snag...

The thing is, even the hospital and the doctor couldn't tell me about this card. I have ATS, but how many people don't?

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Triglyceride levels are often tied to excessive alcohol consumption in modern America, however there are some excellent ways to reduce the triglyceride and cholesterol levels, red yeast rice, Guggul, believe it or not Omega 3 and 9 fatty acids and good ol Tumeric has worked wonders in keeping the blood moving albeit it is contraindicated if taking Coumarins...likewise K2 is contraindicated if taking blood thinners, although the appropriate choice in bothe regards seems the aforementioned rather than the 400 buck pills with life and death consequences. For instance Statins leach Co Q10 which just happens to be THE heart nutrient created by healthy gut bacteria.

Id definitely look into the above food based alternatives until you can get your desired meds, and certainly a Dr. Formulated probiotic (brand by Dr. Perlmutter) and a good co q10 sup.

Cut sugar and processed carbs as much as possible.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Mine was just eating too much grease.

You mentioned two of my 'superchargers.' I'm on CoQ10 and fish oil, plus concentrating on fiber and greens (I love spinach!).

TheRedneck

ETA: Effient doesn't have any dietary restrictions.
edit on 8/16/2016 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Try goodrx.com

I got my $160 GENERIC medication last night with a coupon from that website for $14.

Worth a shot!

EDIT
Nevermind, it's still super expensive...
edit on 16-8-2016 by Nathieu because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
We share-unfortunately-the same. I had a heart attack 6 weeks ago (I received 2 stints)-still can't believe this happened to me-slowly feeling better. I did not meet obamacare standards and have no insurance. My doctors are very sensitive to finances as I am diabetic etc etc etc and about 12 other drugs. So far most meds I take cost under $30/mo but without insurance it is a struggle.
My new heart meds are plavix and lipitor but also take about 3 others. I take the generics.
When I have been prescribed expensive meds I always call the physician's office and ask for a different, less expensive generic.
Now you have me wondering about some new miracle drug I wasn't prescribed due to my present economic situation.
Hope you can get our meds lowered and I hope I am not cheating my health by not receiving a possible better outcome. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

What did your lipid panel look like? Just curious if you don't mind sharing

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

What was your HDL?

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

That's steep... have you checked out the price for this script outside the US, and is this another of the price gouging for script that seems to only affect the folks in the US?

I think it was MEDICARE part D, during Bush II's term that allowed the astronomical prices in pharma.... I could be wrong but that's how I recall it...

Hang in there my brother.... you are tough as nails... you will get through this

edit on Tue, 16 Aug 2016 20:38:43 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: sp

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Nathieu

How about we limit the cost of any prescribed drug to an annual cost of 1% of the patient's annual net income? No coupons, no crazy prices, no shopping around. Just go get your meds.

I'd bet doctors would look a lot harder at expensive drugs, and pharmaceuticals wouldn't be able to rape the poor.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

I don't have the full report right in front of me, but I do remember the nurse explaining there is no HDL level because the triglycerides were too high to read it.

TheRedneck

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join