It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bug Out Bags - Series of Questions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: one4all
Understood

Basically the top six including foods were for individual families. So one family may only need one raft device and limited NBC suits...
The extras were just adds for the imaginations of the observing survival thinkers.
On a serious note, back when it was wmd, wmd, wmd days I looked into sizes of those suits for my smaller family members, couldn't find any in Grainger. So again something for the thinkers...

a reply to: ratskin32
You can also bury them, your ideas are logical

edit on 8/17/16 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

1. Are there 10 or so general items that everyone should have? I kept the number at 10 because you need some room for your personal gear and it can't be too heavy that you can't carry it for a long distance.

Something to carry water in
Some way to purify water
Some kind of food you can eat while moving
Something to keep rain off
Some kind of light source
Some way to make fire
A basic, fixed blade knife
Lots of paracord
Hand crank radio (for news)

(anything else is just comfort stuff)

2. What is your purpose for the bag? A Katrina type event or for a worse case scenario?

To make the 3-4 day on-foot journey from my work to my ranch (about 40 miles away).

3. If you have a family, do they all have a bug out bag or is it different for them, meaning you can have knife, flint, tent...they only carry food, flashlight and medical supplies.

Just mine, and it's in the truck, they aren't usually far from home. The wife was a GHB (get home bag) too, but it is more pared down than mine.

4. Do you carry any water or canteen or just a water straw type device?

2 metal drinking canisters, and a filter straw, and purification tabs. (and fire starters, to boil water), and a collapsing bucket

5. Do you have a budget? $100 per bag--cheaper or $200-$1,000 for better bag and items?

Built mine over time, probably around $150 or so.

6. Would you suggest buying a pre-made bag for a couple of hundred as long as it contained what you thought you need?

I prefer to make my own, though I can see the marketing appeal. Thing is, I have actually USED the things in my bag, so no guess work if the time comes.

7. Or last case scenario..you have all the stuff you could possibly need at the house...plenty of backpacks and bags and you'd just be able to wing it and make it up on the spot if you had to leave.

I could wing it if needed (and certainly ACQUIRE the things I need by scavenging, but I'd rather have it at hand...)

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Here's my thought. I'd say most everyone who's had a bug out bad eventually got rid of it. It's like having a safety blanket as a child. It's stupid. If anything keep maybe a few things in your car. Or if you don't have a car then don't even worry about it. Here's all you need, a good pocket knife, either a swiss army knife or a small folding knife. That's all you NEED!!! With that if the SHTF you can do everything you need. I like bear grills small folding knife that's about a 3 inch or 2.5 inch blade. Something like that. Like out in the woods that's all you'd need. All this other stuff is absolutely ludacrace! total and complete waste. Like are you really gonna be at home, right be your bag, and you'll have that moment to grab it, just when you need to bug out? Most likely not. That's why maybe a "very small bag" in your car might be handy. However, you don't need that. If there's a dollar store near by just grab a few things "if and and when you ever need it". They even sell backpacks. But what if everythign is closed? Well go to a friend, family's place, relatives. Or maybe if things are really bad, their's a run on supermarkets and you can go get what you need free. Like that bag is not gonna save you trust me. Remmber the movie Zombieland? What was the first rule of survival? Cardio!!! Ya cardio. That you keep with you. that might come in handy if the shtf. Like how many blocks can you even walk? It's not the bag that's gonna save you, it's YOU! At most a pocket knife could come in handy in some situations. But anything else you'll pick up along the way, or make in the woods with your pocket knife. Add a log (baton) and now your pocket knife doubles as a saw or axe. Like you don't need a bag. You need skills. The other thing is how far can you carry a big heavy bag? NOT FAR! Your better off if your on foot just having a bottle of water and your knife, and a jacket, and hat, sunglasses. All else is just too heavy, bulky, slows you down. There's far far far too much materials everywhere you go. YOu can pick up what you need whereever you are, in some way when the shtf. Ideally what you need is a treefort or a cabin or a bunker somewhere that you could eventually walk to if you had to. But again, they'll be lots of those abandoned if the shtf that you can comendeer.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to: amazing

I have bought two 5 day survival bagpacks, for $60 each made by wise company with 5 days/32 servings of food & water, stainless steel cup, pocket stove with fuel tabs/24, mylar space blanket, basic medkit with dust mask, waste bag and hygiene, 5in1 survival whistle, hand squeeze flashlight, waterproof matches, poncho, playing cards.

Then added a knife, and 3 more days dehydrated food, along with paracord and ever strike Flint n steel zippo match. Plus a Stanley steel thermos.

I'm keeping 1 bag in my truck and other at home.

I've added and removed others items to balance load, but kept it simple. Like eaton hand crank red cross radio, can charge cells.

Thats 1st premade kit I liked, so couldn't pass it up.

My other kits, include a camel back with Henry survival rifle with an ammo reloader for 22 bullets w/ mold+ powder etc. Plus 2 catch 22 ammo cases and a couple hundred rounds extra ammunition for hunting.

An active shooter tactical fannypack response kit, which has 2 IFAK and loaded mags for my .45 acp.

In addition my pantry has
Water filter lifestraw plus 6 weeks additional freeze dried food, and am always looking for more on sale. 25 year shelf life is top shelf.

I suggest hand crank powered devices, along with commo gear like cb or ham for staying in touch.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Carrying stuff around is heavy. I'd avoid that. Or look up "ultra light backpacking". Look what they pack. Depends where you're going and what you're doing really. But the reality is this. If you're on foot you can only walk so far in a day. I tested this and I realized that everyone who's not well trained has their limits. Most people can't walk for over 8 hours. And many max out at maybe 4 hours. so add a pack to that and you got problems. You'll be moving at a turtle crawl.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join