It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too Much Federal Regulation? Caleb Died at Schlitterbahn.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Who has been in charge of FEDERAL oversight for the last 7 years?

An EO would have taken care of the safety of all amusement parks.

Keep ranting, the leadership you got is the leadership you asked for, and the leadership you deserve.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle
Well, just think, 545lbs minus what, 80lbs for a 10 year old. 465lbs for the pair of women, he was riding with altogether 2 very heavy woman. Someone wasn't paying attention.

Hmm...here is an article that has photos of the two women who were in the raft with Caleb and they sure the heck do not look 200+ pounds each: Link

I am thinking the park lied about the combined weight of the passengers.

That's entirely possible, however, those are not full body shots, so it's a little hard to tell for sure. Good on ya for putting the picks up, it does give some kind of reference.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

This is a case in point--I'm not a right-winger. You're making assumptions of me based on your own pre-conceived notions.

Whether or not you get "attacked" by right wingers has nothing to do with me as an individual. You can be upset about that all you want, and you can post cry-baby images trying to make some immature ad hominem attack, but if your goal is to start getting people to have a serious discussion with you about the topics that you post, then this approach is not going to work.

And I'm not here to talk about Caleb, I joined the discussion to point out that your blatant accusation that a lack of federal/state regulation is what causes accidents like this does not have a solid foundation. I provided examples of things that are federally regulated up the wazoo that still have mistakes and still kill people.

I have to agree with the few people on this thread who blame the park--safety harnesses and ride maintenance in general should be an absolute priority where no expense is spared. It is obvious from this accident along with the comments made by other riders about their harness that this ride has been neglected (assuming these people complained about the issues to part personnel). This family absolutely should sue the park for their gross negligence, but in my opinion, I don't think starting a government agency that has absolute oversight of amusement parks is the right solution, especially when you consider exactly how many amusement parks there are in America, and how low the ratio of injuries to non-injuries is in regard to riders of the parks' rides.

And to remind you again, I'm not a "right winger," nor am I a conservative, nor am I a Republican. So, please, set aside all of your pre-biased notions of someone who may disagree with your stance and please only respond to me as an individual, not a piece of a larger group.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Point taken.
I apologize for being knee-jerky. I still think that government oversight (if it is done properly) is necessary for public protection.

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt.
That park has been a sketchy op from the very beginning. The slide has never really worked correctly or safely.
Sure, riders take the risk on themselves - besides Caleb was only 10, and supposedly signs say "must be 14" to ride. Anyway - I will never, ever go up that thing. Ever. It should remain closed permanently. In my child-protection-comes-first opinion.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join