It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Lives Matter Protest at Graceland in Memphis, TN

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
It is reported that Black Lives Matter together with a coalition of others intend to engage in an action on Monday, 16 August 2016, to shut down Graceland during Elvis week. Previously, on the 11th of July, Black Lives Matter conducted a protest that shut down US Interstate-40 in Memphis, Tennessee. The protest announcement states that the date and time of the protest could change.

Black Lives Matter Release Plans to Shut Down Graceland during Elvis Week

As of the time of posting this article, a few dozen protesters have gathered on a street corner and not in the designated area for their protest, but the Memphis Police Department is allowing the protest:

Protesters Gathered Outside Graceland

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapriti

Now I can understand targeting venues with high media attention in order to get one's message of protest out, but this protest seems rather poorly thought out. Metaphorically poking a finger in the eye of the memory of Elvis Presley does not seem like a winning strategy, but then BLM tactics are beyond my ken.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

These sort of protests are not really protected under the constitution.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

I don't think they even qualify as protesters. i dont even think 90% there know what they are protesting at this point.

shambles.
edit on 15-8-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
How, exactly, does that make any sense whatsoever? What's the point of shutting down Graceland? and stopping a bunch of tourists from seeing Elvis's home?
It's crap like this that shows BLM is nothing but a group of racists, targeting Whites. You start messin' around in the South, you may just piss off the wrong people. There are some serious Elvis fans out there.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Now why would they want to rain on Elvis' parade? It's just a little too far for me to travel on a Tuesday.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
What since does this make? I mean their MO is to attack police and 'white privileged'. Elvis was neither, but I guess becoming successful makes you evil right? Oh yeah, in today's society it does. But Elvis got his start singing gospel and songs he heard in black bars.

Not to mention that (as said previously) there is no point to protesting Graceland. No publicity and no cause.

This group makes less and less sense every time I hear about them.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Odd, since Elvis, like Frank Sinatra, ignored the segregation rules of the times and were known to both personally assist black entertainers or families with their own funds or influence.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kapriti
It is reported that Black Lives Matter together with a coalition of others intend to engage in an action on Monday, 16 August 2016, ...

Monday is the 15th. The 16th is a Tuesday.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I thought the same thing. Apparently it's because Graceland has ties to the death of a teen and they promised the community something else and did not deliver.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Hhmmm.... It seems they are trying to be hated. Or someone is orchestrating a movement that is supposed to be hated.

Nobody messes with the king. Uh huh,

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Then it makes perfect sense what they are doing. BLM is well known for their backwards views that make no logical sense.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
originally posted by: DAVID64

It's crap like this that shows BLM is nothing but a group of racists, targeting Whites. You start messin' around in the South, you may just piss off the wrong people. There are some serious Elvis fans out there.

No, BLM never does anything wrong. All the bad stuff that happens is from people who just happen to be at the BLM rallies but are not actually part of BLM. BLM is an honest movement that strives for racial equality by speaking out politely to people who care to listen to them. They in no way ever force their opinions, agenda and/or stereotypes on anyone, especially white people. They have the utmost respect for all human beings regardless of skin coloj;fasdoij;sjgas;jglkjasgjkkkkkkkkkkk

Whoa, sorry about that. I just blacked out and had a stroke.

What I meant to say was, hopefully nobody dies at this protest.
edit on 8/15/2016 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Suspicious minds, in the Ghetto, are all shook up - It's An American Trilogy.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

I was born and raised in and around Memphis. This protest was more about financial inequality ... heatst.com...
And a shooting death that occurred last year..

Graceland also just got major funding from I'm not sure where.. So I don't have my sources but folks are upset cause the neighborhoods all around Graceland are poor and run down and not really safe at all.. Tourists really shouldn't be in those areas at night ..
edit on 16-8-2016 by natalia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   
This is brutal, racist bastards trying to block us from getting all the cool Pokemon at Graceland!

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: natalia

I've never been to west TN, and I NEVER hear anything good about Memphis. I always hear how dangerous it is. I'm in middle TN and people I know here who have to travel to Memphis for work almost always just drive late hours to head back instead of staying there.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I was in Arkansas when they shut down the bridge trying to get to Mississippi and had to detour way south and west because of their stupidity. I had crossed that bridge coming from Knoxville two days prior. I despise memphis enough for the traffic when I have to travel that way, this is just another reason to avoid that city.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Odd, since Elvis, like Frank Sinatra, ignored the segregation rules of the times and were known to both personally assist black entertainers or families with their own funds or influence.

BLM doesn't know that. All they know is that Elvis was White and successful, and that makes him evil and bad. Hell, you don't even need the successful part anymore.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join