It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Nuclear Weapons in Turkey at Risk

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
Having worked as a custodial agent for nukes in Germany I can not go into any details. Suffice to say nobody will get those nukes. Not that taking them would be worth it. Turkey could make their own which is why keep ours there so they do not. Because if they do, then the Saudi''s follow Egypt as well and Iran would toss the nuke deal aside and get back in the game.

That´s a good insight and makes sense under the old paradigm but with a renewed and increased Russian presence in Syria, the US giving shelter to Erdogan´s main enemy and Europe idiotic punishing behaviour over Greece pushing it to Russian aid I can see that region of the world turning very quickly from western influence to eastern influence.

The only thing preventing this from happening it´s the low oil prices.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: CrapAsUsual

I don't think that base is american territory, it´s a NATO base and probably most of the military personnel there is american but can´t be considered american territory.

Wherever the US military plants the US flag is considered US sovereign territory. Its unwritten generally, but fully understood in the ranks.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
No one is getting anywhere near those nukes!!

Principally because they're going to have to go somewhere else besides Incirlik to get near them! I've said before, and I'll say it again...the movement and actual locations of nuclear weapons is one of the most heavily guarded secrets in the US military arsenal. Those nukes were long gone before any of this even started...if they were ever really there to begin with. Besides, they'd all but useless to anyone else.

This is just the MSM news media making much ado about nothing. Fear sells advertisements, nothing more.

Tactical nukes are just a chess piece in a much larger strategic game. The likelihood of anyone trading blows with tactical nukes anytime soon is exactly zero. The whole 'nukes in Turkey' thing is just a negotiation point with the Russians. It doesn't matter if they're really there or not, just the "thought" they're there is the strategic value. Actual tactical value...pfffft, nada.

edit on 8/16/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: CrapAsUsual

I find it funny how most pro Hillary articles always stress "would you want this man in control of nukes?" then you hear civilians had access to secret documents,rediculous

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
At risk why?

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock
I do remember something like that from 1986 due to Halley's Comet, it was about the prophecies of Nostradamus, narrated by Orson Wells

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
No one is getting anywhere near those nukes!!

Principally because they're going to have to go somewhere else besides Incirlik to get near them! I've said before, and I'll say it again...the movement and actual locations of nuclear weapons is one of the most heavily guarded secrets in the US military arsenal. Those nukes were long gone before any of this even started...if they were ever really there to begin with.

Even more than that, the warheads can be removed and replaced in the weapons. It's usual practice that some are removed and sent to maintenance for testing and tritium replenishment on a regular interval. There are also likely non-explosive dummy warhead simulators for training with similar weight & appearance, and as mentioned almost nobody will know which are live and which aren't.

So, it's quite possible that all of the live cores potentially at risk might already have been removed and replaced with non-explosive replacements in a perfectly ordinary maintenance cycle.

And this strategic ambiguity is intentional.

Besides, they'd all but useless to anyone else.

In the short run yes, they could not be detonated as is, but an engineering capable state would learn numerous design secrets and obtain special nuclear material from dismantling them and rebuilding new versions. That would take years and be a huge diplomatic problem.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join