It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My cherished 8 flags per thread average is about to be history

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Since I start so many threads (about one per day on average), I have had the feeling that a good flags per thread average is crucial. If anyone questioned my prolificness, I would have an objective measure to point to defend myself.

With that in mind, I have maintained an average of over eight flags per thread. I realize that I will not be able to keep up that average if I keep posting in the more obscure forums as I have been doing recently.

Should I care about this so much? Of course not.

I am just ranting because I feel like I am about to lose a little dream I had (the dream of keeping the eight flag per thread average).

But, having fun in the more obscure forums is more important than any statistic no one really cares about.
edit on 15-8-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

you get a flag from me.

j/k

who cares about frivolous stats.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
What was your dream?

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I went to your profile and it says 8.1.

I don't think you are in danger any time soon, do you?

It's good to have goals, in my opinion. If it matters to you then you will have to change it but I don't know how one would go about doing that.

If you were to make less threads then you aren't doing something that you , evidently, enjoy so you lose out there.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I think it means a lot more to you than to anyone else. You done good, but that statistic isn't going to incentivize anyone to read your future threads, I think most people just take threads as they come and dropping your flag/thread ratio will have no effect on anyone else's viewing and flagging habits of your content.

I guess maybe you see it as something a bit like a high score on a game? lol

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well, you could be like me and encounter "The Glitch" which makes the whole thing meaningless. I really don't care what others think about the process. It's very PC to claim "it doesn't matter." For me it used to allow me to gauge how valuable my posts were seen by the membership. But The Glitch prevents that. And quite obviously, the ownership doesn't care either because they've never bothered to fix it.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Look. If you make good posts and good threads that are informative, rational, and make sense you'll get both stars and flags without even trying. I didn't even know what my flags per thread was until I saw this thread, but I can say, as evidenced by my thread history, I post in all manner of forums. From above top secret to below top secret and people flag my threads. I can get a lot of stars in posts that appear past the first few pages in a thread too.

People accuse me of being a S&F whore from time to time, but really I just say things that make sense and a lot of lurkers agree with me quite often. So if you focus on having good content in your posts and threads you won't have to worry about what your flags per thread or stars per post ratio is. It'll just come to you.

Of course you could always go the flag whore way and just create nonsense political bait threads in the mud pit all day. That works for quite a few members too.

PS: I won't tell you to not care about these things. If they matter to you, that's fine. The statistics are there because some people DO care about them. If they weren't being displayed, they'd just calculate them anyways.
edit on 15-8-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I'm cursed with im-popularity, probably because I want it really bad and I rarely get what I want.

Anyway, I guess to be popular you must do and be like everyone wants us to and for that part, I couldn't care less!

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
Should I care about this so much?

No, because none of us care about how many flags you have either.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Profusion
Should I care about this so much?

No, because none of us care about how many flags you have either.

Speak for yourself.

His average flag per thread post has been a life changing experience and I now strive to also obtain 8 flags per day and perhaps beyond.

Speak for yourself...

Edit:

This post of mine decreased my average star per post count. Is there a way to rewind?

!! #
edit on 15-8-2016 by DigitalVigilante420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Flag chasing is a big reason why so many threads on ATS these days (well, increasingly over the past several years) are simply links to news stories or YouTube clips with minimal original content by the OP.

It's turned ATS into a news aggregator, which isn't so bad, because it's one of the best aggregators out there (and pretty much the only one I use anymore); but I sure would like to see more original content.

Not like I haven't contributed to the simple dissemination of news in the past, but lately I've been making a conscious effort to not do it going forward.

I've been trying to just throw my own thoughts out there, take it or leave it, using links and videos only as support material (if even for that) and not as the focus of my comments.

I think ATS would be much more interesting that way, although at the same time I would miss the news if original content was all it was.

There's a healthy balance in there somewhere, if we can find it.

edit on 8/15/16 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigitalVigilante420
His average flag per thread post has been a life changing experience and I now strive to also obtain 8 flags per day and perhaps beyond.

Speak for yourself...

One must have goals and aspirations and this is certainly up there.

Right along with amassing a large quantity of belly button lint.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Right along with amassing a large quantity of belly button lint.

Don't forget being the first to make a smart ass remark on the first page in every thread.

That one's up there too.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigitalVigilante420
Don't forget being the first to make a smart ass remark on the first page in every thread.

That one's up there too.

It's a gift from God.

Please let me know when you create your next thread.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I stole one of Augustus's flags and gave it to you.

I redistributed what someone else had earned.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Be a pal and throw him a few jokes too.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I heard 'yo mama" jokes today.

"Yo mamma is so fat, her polo shirt has a real horse on it."

"Yo mamma is so fat, she leaves stretch marks in the tub".

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   

"Yo mama so fat her blood type is butter."

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Be a pal and throw him a few jokes too.

OK. A guy walked into a crowded bar, waving his unholstered pistol and yelled, "I have a 45 calibre Colt 1911 with a seven round magazine plus one in the chamber and I want to know who's been sleeping with my wife." A voice from the back of the room called out, "Your going to need more ammo.”

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

"Yo mamma is so fat, she jumped up in the air and got stuck."

top topics

<<   2 >>

join