It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The best month and a half of my life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
A few months ago I started a new job and quickly realised if I had to deal with these people for longer than a month I would probably snap, kill them or kill myself.

I came up with a plan (I hold grudges like you would'nt believe). I worked through the month till my pay day was confirmed and in the bank. Then I waited until they were desperate for staff (A regular occurence in the Catering industry as a chef because there is a high demand for chefs and alot of chefs quit and move on within a year). The week after pay the time came. We were down 2 chefs and a Kitchen Porter. Seriously understaffed for a busy saturday. The head chef was off and his underling was in charge, the person I hated the most. I came in 2 hours late with a smile on my face. The little twerp said "I m glad you find it funny C--T" I said "Eat # Pineapple" (His hair was shaved right up the sides and only the top was there spiked up, his head was pretty much an oval, so pineapple) and flicked a balled up A4 piece of paper at him. He was used to everyone taking his crap and i had took it on the chin until then focusing on my early exit for the strength not to respond. He stuttered then said "What the #s that" I said "My resignation" and laughed. He Unballed it and saw I QUIT BITCHES, NOTICE GIVEN: 0 Weeks Days and minutes, #S GIVEN: 0 next to a nicely drawn hand with the middle finger facing up and outwards. He then did a 360 and for the first time he said please and basically begged me not to leave as he knew no one else was available as they had obviously already tried and without me his customers were going to leave in fairly high numbers (The head chef was as big a prick and would probably physically hit him in the mouth if they did). This was a michellen star place with no room for high waiting times or sloppy rushed food. I just said an eye for an eye, treat people like # and you cant complain when they return the favour. I bounced, the head chef rang 5 minutes later crying because he could'nt cover me either, again i said eye for an eye, laughed and hung up.

Anyway I had a fair amount of money, not alot but enough for my idea. I brought a hiking backpack, a fair sized, good quality pop up tent for ease of setup during nights. I stocked up on hygiene equipment, snack food good for travel, A small portable stove and lightwieght, durable clothes and of course a good quality sleeping bag. There is even gel for freshing up clothes without using much water.

On Monday I had everything I needed, money for food and occassional hotel/bnb lodging, then set out to travel as someone who had never really left my own towns and cities. I travelled all over england, scotland and wales. I went on Hiking adventures that lasted days, climbing small mountains, great site seeing, Visited stonehenge in Wiltshire, The Eden project, Cathedrals, Many Mountains, Beaches, Long stretching plains and countrysides, Hadrians wall etc... just to name a few. I had brought and kept stocked up on hygiene equipment used by hikers and backpackers, stopped at BnBs occassionally for showers, most even let me pay just to use the shower and even offered a cheap meal if I was interested afterwards. Same with clothes washing. Food you just keep stocked, importance on high cals, and always get something from every convienence shop you come across at small villages and towns. Water purifiers and tablets aswell as a couple of litres strapped to your pack.

I was basically a homeless person with money, or a wanderingnomad (hence the name). I enjoyed it so much and now am only looking for temporary work so I can quit after a month or two and then do it all again but at different places. As an example coachs to europian countrys are cheaper than some video games. I always found work a bit like prison. Neccessary to have a home and pay bills etc but still a prison. Now I am following this new found way of living and It has definately made life more interesting, and I have never felt so free. As my trade is in high demand jumping from job to job is easy, except I will jump from job to nomad life style back to job, probably for longer periods as the cost was nothing compared to general living. A months salary could last you 2 months easy, maybe 3 months with caution, especially if you already have the expensive equipment. so potentially a month on 2/3 off.

Just thought I would share my little adventure and satisfaction of 2 middle fingers up to "the man" so to speak.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: WanderingNomadd

Outstanding, Turd sandwich delivered in style. I hope they enjoyed it.

Must be nice to be free to be yourself.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Best feeling of my recent years no doubt. The look on pineapples face was priceless. I couldnt even describe it with words.

If you have no children or other major responsibilities other than work and you feel run down and miserable, I highly recommend trying it. Could change your attitude and, in my case, even your life.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Good for you! Congratulations!

Not doing what people expect of you... in fact, doing the exact opposite... is a bucket list item everybody should have! I was doing some guest DJ'ing and the pr!ck of an (new) owner came up and started yelling at me. "I'm not paying you to play this crap!" (Nirvana's Unplugged before it was released in the states). "It is Friday and everybody should be dancing! Play some dance music now!" So I calmly turned and asked, "What did you say about paying me?" He turned red and yelled, "I'm not paying you..." I, in total control, put up a hand, stopped him in his tracks, and said, "That's right! You are not paying me!" I hit eject, took home my 300 CDs, and left him twirling in the wind on a Friday night. I think he now sells Christmas trees in a parking lot!

Head chef crying and begging? Should have known what was coming. Like you said, treat people like crap does nothing to instill loyalty. Way to give them their just desserts! (Hehehe). Enjoy your walkabout!

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
As a long time pro cook I'm just glad you quit how you did, although the flashback a of being in your sous chefs position did give me some anxiety .

I have done the same style of quitting a cookin job at least once. Sadly, I can't say I have done the nomad thing.. Well not since my teens at least .

Good on you, though. I have always envied the people's that do such adventures. the main reason I don't do it now is because of of my dog .. Depending on who I talk to that's either I great reason to not do it or an awful excuse...

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Good for you and I hope you stay young forever so your countrymen don't have to take care of you in the future.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

A kitchen can be a heated place in more ways than one. Most chefs can potentially be dicks during a heavy service. You can tell the full time dicks though by their attitudes outside of service hours.

although the flashback a of being in your sous chefs position did give me some anxiety .

Muhahaha...Unfourtantely for them I struggle to let grudges go without a high profile "Kiss My Ass".

Your dog would probably love it but the reality is you would have to carry more water, dog food and it could cut you off from alot of places like certain BnBs, hotels etc... for those much needed showers inbetween hikes and journeys.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I can almost feel the satisfaction you had from that encounter. For all the times you need to suck it up and deal with it you still need that occassional "Up Yours". I personally think its vital for your mental health and should be a recommended requirement in all Life Skills lists.

Its true. Treat people badly and eventually your screw someone who is more than happy to return the favour

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Toxic people especially in the work environment is probably one of the most depressing things to experience. I knew I felt that when I used to work in sales at a private firm..

That day you say F it I quit when they're in dire need of your assistance is one of the best moments ever. I did something similar to you, but instead of hiking, I went travelling abroad for a couple months. One of the best experiences i've ever had too.

Definitely recommended to anybody whose going through the same situation and can afford to quit.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Oh man, I would never pull a stunt like this. Never. It's just poor character. Eye for an eye, seriously? Wow, kid... and that is what you are if you do this... a kid.

I've worked at toxic environments, but always left on amicable terms. I would never screw over people just to make a point to one dickhead. You realize everyone who worked there, and everyone who ate there that night had a #tier time because of you, right?

This kind of lack of character is why I had a problem with most of my jobs. Trust me, I get having incompetent superiors, or co-workers, but that doesn't excuse your own behavior. This general degradation of work ethic and character is why I've chosen to put in all the efforts necessary to slowly detach from conventional day jobs and work as I wish.

Sorry to say, but you are part of the problem, kid. Hope you grow up one of these years.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Kinda jealous. LOL!

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

I am a hard worker, Have great experience, am polite to anyone I work with regardless of "Rank".

It was'nt one dickhead it was most of them, They bullied anyone they could get away with, Anyone passive and smaller physically than them. I recieved 3 text messages, one from a Kitchen Porter, 2 From runners who overheard it and then were told about the note afterwards. All 3 messages were applauding me for doing something they personally could'nt

Taking advantage of other peoples need to earn money and using this to trap them into absorbing your constant abuse and bully tactics is a foul thing to do. The head chef is'nt a blocker for this behaviour he is an encourager. He is also part owner and a friend of the main owner (Also a prick but you rarely see him anyway so no bother). So any loses from that day is a plus to me as it would affect his pocket.

They have been in the paper twice under fire for their pay tactics. People working upwards of 15 hour days getting annual sallaries that work out at about 70% of minimum wage for the lower positions. They deserve every bit of crap that gets thrown at them.

Their attitudes stink, There treatment of staff stinks, Their constant attempts at underpaying stink. I have no shame whatsoever for what I did. I may be a "Kid" but atleast I gave them a taste of their own medicine, If you cant take it, dont dish it out....Simples.

Obviously your entitled to your own opinion but I also retain the right to give 0 #s.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: WanderingNomadd

Obviously your entitled to your own opinion but I also retain the right to give 0 #s.

Oh trust me, you made that perfectly clear long ago. I'm also entitled to think you're lying in this last post. I do.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Feel free. If you had ever worked in a kitchen you would understand the kind of people it attracts. For the most part you get a reasonable mixture of idiots and normals. The head chef usually keeps those still treating work like a school playground in line either for his own benefit or cause he is bothered about the small timers getting grief.

Occassionally though it tilts in favour of the idiots. Thats when you get the miniture gang culture going on. The # I put up with pales compared to the runners and KP's.

Chef work is a big attraction for ex criminals, ex thug types and general bullies. It is a high demand job that will take anyone with some level of skill, experience or enthusiasm. Alot of these criminal types are looking to sort themselves out but a good few still think they are in prison or the school playground. Leads to alot of alpha male bullying, Its not like working in an office or at your local supermarket.

If you get enough of these idiots in one place, and sometimes you do, then you get a very hostile enviroment.

Ill give you an example of a runner (carries the food from kitchen to eating areas) who had chipped the handle of a glass teapot used for sauces. He brought it in to show the head chef the tiny little chip, he took it from his hand, looked at the chip, then through it at him and it smashed at his feet "Next time you chip or break something your fired now # off". The boy was only 16, a part timer and was a twig no threat to anyone whatsoever and left the area crying. The head chef on the other hand was 49 and probably had about 5 stone on him. They all laughed at the fact he was crying and called him justin bieber after that, then they started calling his mate rat. So beiber and rat.

As a side note, the reason the boy owned up to it instead of pretending it did'nt happen and letting the blame get lost in transit. A young girl, also a runner, had broke a plate but was to scared to tell the head so she told the front of house manager and he told the chef for her. The head called her in berated her for 5min during service, shouted at her for delaying him during service, then the head and 2 other chefs kept harassing her everytime she walked in to do her job. I knew they were trying to make her cry cause I was standing in the kitchen when they said that was the plan. So the boy thought hey, if i own up he will make a point of letting me off because she lied about the plate. Ut Uh wrong move buddy.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Best feeling of my recent years no doubt. The look on pineapples face was priceless. I couldn't even describe it with words.

You did alright, I felt it. I enjoyed it. The way you did it was priceless. Biding your time, waiting for the perfect opportunity, being able to walk, knowing your skill is valuable in lots of places. God, I enjoy reading about thumbing it to people that deserve it.

Keep looking, you'll find some place that appreciates your talent. And if they don't pffft... they don't know what they are missing.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I've done something similar too once (leaving work and wandering about), I think I know how you felt.

I was just wondering if you keep an apartment while you wander, and if not, how you go about finding work after you run out of money?
edit on 16-8-2016 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

I had a place which I stopped renting when I left, My deposit was returned to me mid journey, I then stayed with a friend for a week until I rented a room as a lodger(though if I didnt have a friend to fall back on I could of just arranged for the rented room earlier). Now I will lodge until another payday then I will leave again for another 2 months. Planning a rough idea of where to go at the moment, but I like to keep the plan pretty open so its more of an adventure than a; a to b to c to d
edit on 16-8-2016 by WanderingNomadd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Sounds good man. It was a good experience for me when I did it. I think its important to know what it feels like to be free in that way. Right now, I'm a little tied down but maybe if I'm free in the future I would do it again.

Happy adventures.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Right now, I'm a little tied down but maybe if I'm free in the future I would do it again.

Well I hope you get another chance at it.

Happy adventures.

Cheers, Cannot wait, A life worth living finally.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Fair play mate! Sounds good.

new topics

top topics

join