It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First time building a computer

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: rollanotherone

All the PC parts arrived on schedule but the damn bracelet took forever to get here from China! I did not see that coming!

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

All the PC parts arrived on schedule but the damn bracelet took forever to get here from China! I did not see that coming!
Oh damn. That's funny. Well, at least you have a cool bracelet!
And I hoping you'd say tropical island so I could live vicariously through you

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I've never used a grounding bracelet. I've always used other tricks to eliminate static though, and never had any problems. Still, they're cheap insurance.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Thanks however video editing isn't my main use. My works ranges from editing all the way to full scale 3D, simulation, CG, animation, 4-6k footage, 360, VR, etc. The parts I originally picked were from researching various video editing rigs but most that I found were too weak for the work I do and were strictly for just video editing, nothing more.
edit on 16-8-2016 by jonwhite866 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Better video card.
ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX
www.newegg.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Ive built hundreds if not thousands of systems. Honestly never used a grounding bracelet. It's probably smart to use one though.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
That case is terrible, way too expensive, let me hook you up. Looks great and tons of cooling.

www.newegg.com...

I am using a semi stock CPU heatsink and nothing gets above 55c in the summer, at ultra settings playing games.
edit on 16-8-2016 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: jonwhite866

Stick with the 1070 over the 1080. Not worth it imo.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Okay, just thought I'd update you guys, the parts are picked and are on their way but any temperature management tips would be splendid! I've made a few changes, mostly to accommodate my comfort on my first build especially in the cooling department. Not going liquid cool yet as I just don't want the paranoia raining over my head everyday. I know some people might say "it's not as scary or risky as you think" but I'm just not comfortable to use one just yet until I know how to maintenance these "maintenance free" components. I'll list my final rig below:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz Quad
Motherboard: Asus Z170 Deluxe
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32Gb
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb x4 (Raid 10) - Mainly for the assurances
HDD: WD Black Series 4Tb
Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 - Read a lot of reviews and this has been the top choice for many who've opted air instead of liquid.
PSU: Corsair HX850i - Decided I didn't really need 1000W
Case: Corsair Air 540 - Thought the extra room and improved air flow space would be a good start for me
Monitor: Asus PA238Q 23"

Read a lot about temperatures and that 65ºC is a good temp to keep it as but have no experience with voltage and fan RPM especially for that model so anyone with a similar rig would be massive help!
edit on 14-10-2016 by jonwhite866 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   

There will likely be enough room in your case to go with something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO air cooler. However an all in one liquid cooler - something like a Corsair H-60 would definitely give you much more overhead for overclocking the CPU.

I use an AIO liquid cooler for both my CPU ( 4790k ) and GPU ( Fury X ).

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I don't plan on overclocking and I'm gonna wait another day for liquid cooling. I'd prefer to go for it when I'm less ignorant on how everything works, haha. When researching the NH-D15 I saw people mention the 212 EVO because of it's cheaper price tag but I went for the NH D15 as the reviews for it was great and it comes with NT-H1 paste which is meant to be pretty good considering the 6700K thermal paste is apparently not so good.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Looking at your parts - it will be a BEAST of a rig! You won't need to overclock either the CPU nor the GPU to get incredible gaming and productivity out of it.

But the urge to bump it up a bit by overclocking will eventually, likely strike. Benchmarking as well. It's fun, compelling and a bit addictive. It's also extremely easy to do these days. There are applications that don't even require being in the BIOS to set an OC... Just very straightforward sliders to nudge.

Having said that, however... the improvement in discernible performance from overclocking would likely be minimal at best... At least for now. That CPU is probably the best current choice for a desktop and at a really good price. And the 1080 is an incredible GPU.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
You should have gotten a Hexa Core instead of a Quad Core.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
You should have also stuck with the Corsair CW-9060021-WW liquid cooling. Can't go wrong with it. They are closed systems so no worrying about refilling.

Also, water doesn't damage computers like people want to believe. PCs are so low voltage that water has a very hard time shorting them out. You can actually run them under water for a while.

I've had my Corsair H100 since the day they came out, which was a few years ago. Not one problem, not one leak, and it survived multiple builds.
edit on 18-10-2016 by Zer0Day because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Zer0Day

It was my intention at first but I'd exceed my chosen budget with a hex core and I'm a bit paranoid going liquid cool as it's one thing you not having a leak or any problems, but many have and at the moment I don't want to run the risk of ruining a £600 gpu for a few degrees difference, especially since I'm not going to overclock. I live in a relatively cold area as well as a barn house (freezing cold, especially now that winter's around the corner) so ambient temps are going to be fairly low, haha. In the future though, when I'm more experienced and have better knowledge of it all I'll start going bigger and better.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
i want to build my own pc some time in the future....amd or intel?

what do you think guys?

<< 1  2   >>

join