It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, Uh, Did The NSA Get Hacked?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Hackers say they’ve breached a hacking group known as the Equation Group, which is widely speculated to be an offshoot of the National Security Agency. The hackers have provided some files including what could be parts of the agency’s surveillance tools, but are demanding millions of dollars in bitcoins for the rest.

So, Uh, Did The NSA Get Hacked?

Well, this looks interesting. It would appear that a group calling themselves "The Shadow Brokers" may have hacked another hacking group, called the Equation Group, which is believed to be an NSA offshoot. The hackers have released what they claim is 40% of the files/data obtained, and are seeking a large payment (in Bitcoin) for the remaining 60%.

Q: Why I want auction files, why send bitcoin? A: If you like free files (proof), you send bitcoin. If you want know your networks hacked, you send bitcoin. If you want hack networks as like equation group, you send bitcoin. If you want reverse, write many words, make big name for self, get many customers, you send bitcoin. If want to know what we take, you send bitcoin.

Q: What if bid and no win, get bitcoins back? A: Sorry lose bidding war lose bitcoin and files. Lose Lose. Bid to win! But maybe not total loss. Instead to losers we give consolation prize. If our auction raises 1,000,000 (million) btc total, then we dump more Equation Group files, same quality, unencrypted, for free, to everyone.

Q: Why I trust you? A: No trust, risk. You like reward, you take risk, maybe win, maybe not, no guarantees. There could be hack, steal, jail, dead, or war tomorrow. You worry more, protect self from other bidders, trolls, and haters.

They were originally seeking to auction off the remaining files on this Github page, but the page has been taken down.

So far, from what I've read, third party security experts seem to believe that the hack may have actually happened as stated. Will update when more information is available.

edit: Here's some additional sources:
NSA Hacked? 'Shadow Brokers' Crew Claims Compromise Of Surveillance Op

'Shadow Brokers' claim to have hacked an NSA-linked elite computer security unit

Hackers claim to be selling NSA cyberweapons in online auction
edit on 8/15/2016 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Hackers are using bitcoins as funds these days. I'm glad I don't use bitcoin.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I'm sure people will blame Trump.

I'm sure people will blame Obama ma

but if true, the us needs to rethink cyber security. while spending billions to spy on other nations we forgot to look out for no. 1... our country's national security.

eta: I'm thinking this might be a domestic hack.

I feel like even I can hack the system, if I really wanted to...
edit on 15-8-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
eta: I'm thinking this might be a domestic hack.

Agreed. The language used by the Shadow Brokers seems rather suspicious. It's all broken English, but it seems too forced. As if someone is attempting to sound as if they don't know English very well...

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Hackers say they’ve breached a hacking group known as the Equation Group, which is widely speculated to be an offshoot of the National Security Agency. The hackers have provided some files...

So do people get a 'peek' at those free and available on line files? Or is this just generated to justify stricter measures for everyone.

"Due to the recent hacks everyone has to obey new stricter laws of search and seizure of your private emails" and such.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Some more people to add to the list of domestic terrorists I'm sure. Even if they expose corruption or illegal activities, the "Whistleblower Protection Act" won't apply, in the name of National Security and the cogs of the machine will continue to turn...

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
But with no files released.... It might just be a scam.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
So do people get a 'peek' at those free and available on line files? Or is this just generated to justify stricter measures

There were numerous files available on the github page mentioned in the OP earlier, but unfortunately, I didn't have the foresight to clone the repo before it was taken down. I'm trying to find an archive or a mirror, but no luck thus far.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Snowden?
maybe?
putin?
hm?

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Sounds like someone trying to sound like English wasn't their language. Not that it is or isn't. It just sounds contrived in that direction like that line about being too random.
I could almost see Boris and Natasha saying must get moose and squirrel.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Yes that's exactly what I see too.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
Snowden?
maybe?
putin?
hm?

I suppose it's possible, but if it were Snowden or people acting on Russia's behalf, I would think it would be more beneficial to their goals to simply release everything, rather than trying to auction it off to the highest bidder.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Taken down?

Scam hoax Jesus h

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

The language used by the Shadow Brokers seems rather suspicious.

That is a deliberate tactic so that speech patterns and word usage can't be used to identify the speaker.

This might be a splinter group from within the existing intelligence apparatus.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

originally posted by: intrptr
So do people get a 'peek' at those free and available on line files? Or is this just generated to justify stricter measures

There were numerous files available on the github page mentioned in the OP earlier, but unfortunately, I didn't have the foresight to clone the repo before it was taken down. I'm trying to find an archive or a mirror, but no luck thus far.

web.archive.org...

github.com...

For some reason I had to manually enter the links into my address bar. Right click on the links, copy and paste the second link directly after the first in your address bar and it will work. I'm not sure how many original links are accessible.

Scroll to the bottom.

edit on 15-8-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Taken down?

Scam hoax Jesus h

edit: Nevermind....ATS doesn't like the format of the cache URL....If you type the github url into google, it's the second result, then you can click the arrow next to the link, and view the cached page.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Sounds like someone trying to sound like English wasn't their language. Not that it is or isn't. It just sounds contrived in that direction like that line about being too random.
I could almost see Boris and Natasha saying must get moose and squirrel.

I agree, sounds like a load of Bullwinkle to me.
I doubt they will get away with this.
Too many people with big mouths who would brag about pulling something like this off.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

unless they are older, first generation freakers that kept up, and never got a job....

those must exist.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

first generation freakers

Indeed, all those guys who were [white/black/red/beige] boxing are likely still doing their thing. I hope some of them are still free and haven't all been scooped up by one alphabet agency or another.

Anyone who remembers 2600 would be in that league.

edit on 15-8-2016 by jadedANDcynical because: wrong #

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
theshadowbrokers.tumblr.com...

The actual release by SB was two days ago.
It is good stuff, but still....... no cigar.

Reminds me of James Jesus trying to parlay Kim Philby.
Or for you young guys its kinda like the hunt for "Graysuit "
We shall see.

Buck

edit on 15-8-2016 by flatbush71 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join