It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You won a gold medal..now pay your taxes..

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: 191stMIDET

And Hillary Clinton get's away with making over a million dollar tax deductible donation to her own "cheritable" foundation.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: 191stMIDET

Which she then uses 90% of it for personal use.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
All that said and done..the taxing and the presidential campaign and all the other stuff mentioned..still doesn't make sense why we can't support our Olympic athletes a bit better. Should've had something in place a long time ago to help them I would think..

I for one hold a bit more respect for them..and their achievements .. kinda sad that other countries (who are not so prosperous) can help their athletes out..yet we can't?

Is a shame..been searching to see if I could find any way that we support our Olympic athletes..seems like we take a lot of pride from their achievements ..but don't actually help them achieve anything..

Gonna still keep looking..

Thanks,
blend57

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: blend57

I look at it this way:

The American government can't even provide the majority of it's citizens with affordable health care; why would it care about financially supporting an athlete while they learn to swim really fast?

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Its a freaking travesty.

even performance bonuses. You get a performance bonus on your check, uncle sam puts his arm over your shoulder and says, "Yeah, we had a pretty good year this year, didn't we?"

If your employer hands out gift cards, even for only $20, it could constitute tax fraud.

Sorry bastards think they are owed what we earn. The money I tried my time/life for.

And we are demonized for it. So-called 'in kind' contributions set the precedent for taxing citizens on the value of the voluntarily donated goods and services they receive from anyone. Stay at your brother's nice house this year? Pay tax as if you were given the total cash value of the rent for the year in that house. Make sense?

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Atsbhct

I can see that..and agree..but these games have been going on long before any of this stuff has ever came up..even when we were not having the issues we currently have..we did not support our athletes..but we did share in their wins..

Just seems really wrong..as I said..maybe tax the money..but what an insult to them to tax the medal as well.

"Did we miss anything? Nope..oh wait."
*grabs medal and chips off one third of it*
"ok..now we got it all..thanks for winning!"

Just really wrong...

anyhow..gonna look and see if there is anyway I can offer them some support..

Thanks,
blend57

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Fair enough tax the winnings, it's basically their pay for doing their job, but to tax them for the medals ? That's just disgusting when they're basically being ambassadors for their country

Makes you wonder if military people get taxed for the medals they receive too and what other things within sports get arbitrarily taxed

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Shouldn't call it prize money or an award. It should be called a donation. It's pretty disgusting that an athlete trains most of their life as an amateur, that the goverment had nothing to do with and then they get dinged to pay up money to the government it didn't earn in any way. Hmmm, sorta sounds like income tax as well.

Cheers - Dave

Exactly. I trained all my life to be a salesman. The government played a small role, with my public education, but we paid for that with property taxes. I would be out of my mind pissed if certain professions (such as Olympic athlete) didn't have to pay income tax, while "Subaru Salesperson" had to carry their weight.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Shouldn't call it prize money or an award. It should be called a donation. It's pretty disgusting that an athlete trains most of their life as an amateur, that the goverment had nothing to do with and then they get dinged to pay up money to the government it didn't earn in any way. Hmmm, sorta sounds like income tax as well.

Cheers - Dave

Exactly. I trained all my life to be a salesman. The government played a small role, with my public education, but we paid for that with property taxes. I would be out of my mind pissed if certain professions (such as Olympic athlete) didn't have to pay income tax, while "Subaru Salesperson" had to carry their weight.

Personally, I don't think there should be any income tax, it's a tax on labour, your blood and your sweat. Consumption taxes, like sales tax, fine. I really don't see where the goverment has the right to put us into indentured servitude (slavery as defined by the signed abolition of slavery treaty), so they can piss away our value in the form of fiat currency on their friends and at the same time use that same money to forge the chains of our bondage. It's high time people all got together and said enough of this BS.

BTW, are you a professional salesman, because they are amateur athletes? There is a difference.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 8/15.2016 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Not finding anything yet..

Taxes..I dunno..If I am understanding what I am reading..they are regular Americans who WORK a part time or full time job off season and train in their spare time. So they do pay income taxes like the rest of us do.. Some get sponsors..usually local businesses unless they are already famous or professional athletes..

On average, it was stated in one of the websites that some make less than $15K a year.. and they buy their own equipment and pay for their own training with that money..

And I am assuming that they don't get paid when they are at the Olympics..food/air fare/hotel rooms and such are covered I would suppose..but they don't get any salary for performing in them..how do they make any money while at the games?

Thanks,
blend57

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

If the IRS catches wind? Yup.

But it still happens. In places/ways that are somewhat shocking.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

is there nothing that is untouched by the government?

Don't forget, they're literally in the Olympics to represent their government. A country is literally nothing without a system of rules/laws (aka, a government).

Dunno if this has been posted..just kinda blew my mind..and on the medal as well..pay taxes on the medal..lmao

Like you said, it's the same thing as lotto winnings or prize winnings. Even when normal citizens give gifts to each other of a specific value, we still have to pay taxes on it. Same thing.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Nothing is untouched by government...
remember Taxes and Death...
If you make money on Gold or Stocks, you pay a tax of 28% for your good fortune and then more income taxes....

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I don't agree with taxing the Olympians of their earnings in the games, whatsoever. But....my Father said something in a paper he used to write for and that was, he was grateful to pay his taxes because it meant he was fortunate enough to have a job. It's always stuck with me and allowed me to have a different view of things that I may not agree with.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join