It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Battle for Utah

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

That's my take.

Trump may not be accepted by the elite.

But, I believe he thinks he will if he becomes president.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
when was Utah ever a swing state.. oh yes, since Trump.

hill will never win Utah unless she converted...
trump will win it decisively when he realizes he actually needs to talk more sense. he's already realized this.

Trump will only gain support if he tosses the anti Muslim, hard core stance on illegals and make up with Romney. He is likely to lose more support to McMullin. And with 21% of the people not decided McMullin could even win the state. Or Johnson could. Or With votes split 3 ways Clinton could.

And it should be also noted the results of Trumps comments to Evangelicals about Utah were seen by both Evangelicals and Mormons as Trump siding with Evangelicals against Mormons are not reflected in this poll nor in McMullin entry into the race.

Trump however is now worried enough to write an Op-ed for the Deseret News and invitation he ignored when he and Clinton were both invited to last month. With a conservative Mormon entering the race we could see Utah go third party.

Whatever happens in Utah it is a battle that is only going distract from trying to make up some ground in the now all Clinton leaning battle ground states. And he has to do something about Georgia where Clinton has taken the lead and Arizona where they are almost dead even. Trump does not have the time or money to waste fighting for states that should not be in play.

If he had not burned bridges he could have McCain in Arizona and Romney in Utah and not even have a problem in those states. Another case of short term thinking.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I think the Mormon Church's position comes straight from the top, and I don't believe the stated reason.

It's got something to do with the Mormon Church being a corporation on a global scale.

It's got something to do with their connection to Wallstreet.

It's got something to do with trade agreements that favor them.

Haven't put my finger on it exactly, but I believe it will be revealed.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

That's fine with me they aren't attacking me or demanding I too become a Mormon.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

He mentioned repealing the "Johnson" amendment.
That was his play to attract religions.
Seems like a pretty TALL order.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: LifeMode

originally posted by: NthOther
a reply to: schuyler

An LDS bishop is the equivalent of a Protestant pastor or a Catholic priest, with little to no influence outside the congregation he serves.

And he was a bishop. It isn't a lifetime calling.

The kind of influence you're talking about is held by the apostles, who only rarely endorse specific candidates.

You guys have no idea what you're talking about.

Yep, major ignorance when it comes to Mormons.

I think there's more mis-information about Mormons on the internet, then anything else.

I was Mormon for 5 years. Married one. We tried it as a couple.

We were in Southern CA. Most in the congregation hated when Utah Mormons came to "visit". They really have an arrogance problem.

Not all Mormons are conservatives.

You are talking about CA Mormons. In UT I have listened to many of them telling me the history of how the Federal Government tried to apply pressure to them many times. The Mormons stood their ground. Were even willing to burn down their own towns if the Fed entered it. They are conservatives and many small business owners.

This discussion has nothing to do with the History of Mormons and how/why they migrated to Utah.

I am well aware of the full story(s).

Ok then. Hillary is taking UT. You win.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

The Mormons history of being targeted with violence by the government and the religious persecution they experienced is well documented. They will not vote for religious intolerance.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode
They didn't stand their ground...
Zion had three different locations in the Mormon early years. They couldn't stand their ground because they were burned out and fired upon. They ran. And they had to run again. Then one more time before Brigham Young finally settled them in Utah.
The fact that Mormons were dying in droves along the way because feeding them cost money is another story for another time.
They won't vote for anyone who attacks religious freedom.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
a reply to: schuyler

An LDS bishop is the equivalent of a Protestant pastor or a Catholic priest, with little to no influence outside the congregation he serves.

And he was a bishop. It isn't a lifetime calling.

The kind of influence you're talking about is held by the apostles, who only rarely endorse specific candidates.

You guys have no idea what you're talking about.

Yep, major ignorance when it comes to Mormons.

I think there's more mis-information about Mormons on the internet, then anything else.

I was Mormon for 5 years. Married one. We tried it as a couple.

We were in Southern CA. Most in the congregation hated when Utah Mormons came to "visit". They really have an arrogance problem.

Not all Mormons are conservatives.

You are talking about CA Mormons. In UT I have listened to many of them telling me the history of how the Federal Government tried to apply pressure to them many times. The Mormons stood their ground. Were even willing to burn down their own towns if the Fed entered it. They are conservatives and many small business owners.

This discussion has nothing to do with the History of Mormons and how/why they migrated to Utah.

I am well aware of the full story(s).

Ok then. Hillary is taking UT. You win.

I never said that.

Those are your thoughts and your words.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I have lived in Utah for over 22 years, and still do.

Personally I am proud of my fellow Utahns for considering an option outside of the "accepted" candidates. Utah is a fiscally conservative but fairly socially liberal state, and the Libertarian philosophy fits us well. I am so excited to hear frienda, family, CO workers, and even strangers talking about Gary Johnson, or ANY candidate that's not red or blue.

Unless it's Johnson, I don't care who wins this election. Both Trump and Hillary are pretty much the same candidate. I truly hope to see more people "throw away" their votes by voting honestly, in accordance to their ethucs, and not just to prevent either candidate from winning the election.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Also I love how everyone is anot expert on Mormons now.

My wife's family is very, very LDS. her brothers and sisters are all torn on how to vote. No, they don't just follow orders like many of you think.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

I like your analysis in general but I disagree here. Bringing more into the race just dilutes the votes and gives Trump the chance to hold it with 37% or even 30%. If that other 70% is split between 3 other choices, Trump takes it. In a Democracy it's actually easier to win something when you have more opponents because you need a lower share of the vote.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join