It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism still active after all we've learned.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Yes, folks, who would have ever thought that in 2005, the United States of America, the foremost financial power in the world and self-proclaimed most enlightened, would have a card carrying member of the Klu Klux Klan on the nation's senate opposing the the confirmation of the country's first black, female secretary of state?

Whats even more astounding is that the majority of the black population support him in this endeavor.

www.newsmax.com...

"The West Virginia Democrat, who officially left the Klan in 1943 but continued to advise the anti-black group for years afterward, said through a spokesman that he was merely assuring that the Senate fulfilled its constitutional role of advise and consent.
But the decision by Democrats to make Sen. Byrd the point man in the continuing assault against such a prominent African-American is a particulary awkward one, given his long history of racial misconduct.

In 2001, for instance, Byrd was forced to apologize after he blurted out the N-word twice during a nationally televised interview.

Byrd filibustered the 1964 Civil Rights Act for 14 straight hours. And three years after he said he'd left his white-sheeted brethren behind, he wrote to Georgia's Grand Imperial Wizard, urging, "The Klan is needed today as never before."

...and he claims to be a progressive.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
you actually think racism and intolernace are actually going to go away in the united states?

dude can i have some of what your smoking please? no offence but its not going to go away. it never will. and you cant make laws against it.

racism and this kinda stuff, is just like war. it never going to go away. weather its france' sdeal with muslims and there head wear or with the many problems that still plage the US.

this is wishful thinking if you expect it to go away.

[edit on 1-20-2005 by KrazyIvan]

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan
you actually think racism and intolernace are actually going to go away in the united states?

No, I guess not. I do think it will shift but will still be present. I would merely expect those we elect as leaders to disallow it to influence their judgement.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
Whats even more astounding is that the majority of the black population support him in this endeavor.

Sounds like a 'The enemy of my enemy is my friend' situation. The majority of the black population obviously see Rice as more of a danger to liberty than the KKK.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky

Sounds like a 'The enemy of my enemy is my friend' situation. The majority of the black population obviously see Rice as more of a danger to liberty than the KKK.

Yes, thats correct which also lends credence to the need for an overhaul of the educational system in poor black neighborhoods. I don't want to get off on my census/demographic change speeach here but we most definetly have a dyer need to allow and promote this segment of our population the same opportunity for the educational benefits most wealthy families take for granted. As a population, we must recognize which segments of the population are growing and put resources toward them.

We have schools that spend countless hours teaching morality and political agendas when the answer quite simply is to teach people to read so they can research for themselves and enter adulthood armed with the confidence to achieve anything they dream.

Nothing the Klu Klux Klan stands for is deserving of support by anyone. Its an organization derived out of ignorance in my opinion. That ignorance now seems to have spread to the very people this group was formed to victimize.

I study ancient history as a hobby and I'm always intriqued at this kind of sentiment but never so much as when it happens in our supposedly enlightened age.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Racism will always be a problem. It isn't always the white americans who are racist by the way, and as of late, I would say black hatred for white america is greater.

Don't worry about Byrd by the way, he won't be going anywhere. He holds a get out of being a racist free card (more commonly referred to as his democratic voter registration card).

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Yes, thats correct which also lends credence to the need for an overhaul of the educational system in poor black neighborhoods.

Actually, I too believe that Rice is a bigger danger to democracy than the Ku Kux Klan.

The KKK are just a bunch of despised old racists and have no power. They rant and threaten but most people know what they stand for, and will have nothing to do with them.

Rice, on the other hand, is a supporter of the Bush agenda and in a position of power. She definitely has the authority to force into being the manipulation of the system in Bush's favour.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
KKK a danger? This isn't the south in the 1950s-1970s. Today they are something to point and laugh at. But Rice? She has power, some people actually think she is a good person and not the ass kissing parrot of Bush.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
[
The KKK are just a bunch of despised old racists and have no power. They rant and threaten but most people know what they stand for, and will have nothing to do with them.

I wouldn't say a US Senator has no power. Just look at how he held up the equal rights amendment. That move was unquestionably a threat to liberty for an entire race.

So, if all you guys are so disallusioned with Ms. Rice, I;d certainly like to hear your opinion on who should have gotten the nomination. Are we to play appeaser to those countries who still see women as second class humans even if it means giving the job to someone less educated and accomplished?

I have a feeling thats what its all about. We don't want to offend a muslim by having a woman represent our country. You can bet its not about that for Robert Byrd. Its about the good ole boy club not admitting women, especially not black women. Its a dated philosphy and if the shoe were on the other foot and republicans were blocking the nomination of a black woman to a democrat's cabinet, you'd all have crapped solid gold bricks by now. Hypocrisy, pure and simple.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I have a feeling thats what its all about. We don't want to offend a muslim by having a woman represent our country.

Whereas I don't normally go out to deliberately offend anyone, I will always say what I believe. If people choose to be offended by my words, whatever their creed or colour, then thats too bad.

Its a dated philosphy and if the shoe were on the other foot and republicans were blocking the nomination of a black woman to a democrat's cabinet, you'd all have crapped solid gold bricks by now. Hypocrisy, pure and simple.

Not at all. If Rice was a woman of integrity rather than a Bush sycophant supporting the Administrations lust for power, I would back her 100%. Similarly, if Kerry had been elected and chose someone so obviously partisan, you can bet I would have had something to say about him too.

I have no time for party politics, but Bush is the President and whoever he chooses will have an effect on the world, be that for good or ill.

[edit on 7-2-2005 by astrocreep]

new topics

top topics

join