It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

are you the type to try and low ball people?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

$14 is pretty ridiculous, I mean I'll start low, but not that low.

I just sold my drum kit on Craigslist. I asked $300. Someone texted me and asked if I would take $50.

Not even worthy of a response.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12
a reply to: Starcrossd

For silver? That person it rude too. The melt value is over $25 I am sure!
Yes! I do some jewelry work and often buy scrap silver to melt and repour. Even that can get pricey!

Gotta agree.. starting at 14 is just too cheapskatey!..lol

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I have over thirty years in high end real estate experience and negotiation is the name of the game. It is a game and involves knowing your craft and skill. Never, ever would I offer a lowball insulting price to a seller. I absolutely abhor taking advantage of sellers who were in dire straits from a divorce, inheritance etc. Only time I would consider below market price is if the seller told me to just get rid of it. Craigslist is notorious for rude buyers and sellers. I find facebook sites attract, at least in my area, better behaving buyers and sellers.
A $14 offer for the Invicta watch deserves a polite "no thank you" and that is all. You have to be tough skinned these days with anonymous, faceless transactions.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I never do it for the same reason. My conscience. I'm more a "pay what I'm willing to pay" guy. If I am willing to pay something then I'll pay it. I'd never try to take more than I'm due or give less than I'm willing to for the sake of, what, having more stuff or more money? That's bad karma and it will always come back to BITE

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

No, I wouldn't. That's not my negotiating style. I've grown up around folk, though, in which that was their negotiating tactic. Say the item asking price is $1000. People I've known might offer $300, thinking that they'll eventually settle for $550. If the item is $1000, like you, I might offer $800 and see where it goes.

My cultural influences don't offer what I would consider an insulting bid. Some people don't consider that an insult however, just good negotiating strategy.

I used to make wood-inlay (marquetry) pictures. Very detailed, and I used hot sand to shade the edges of some segments to provide depth. I cut everything on a bevel, and never used fillers. I made my own frames. I would have a piece that took me 80 hours to make, and I would price it as $800, deciding to absorb the cost of materials, which was like paying me $7.50/hour for what I considered to be a beautiful work of art.

This was in San Francisco, around the tourism area. Quite often someone would come up to me and say, "$800!!! I'll give you $150 for it." I didn't have the tolerance then for BS that I now have. Such a bid was an insult to me, and I would softly use vulgar language, asking them to leave. I refused to deal with people like that. Which, of course, is much of why I lost my street vendor's license.

edit on 14/8/16 by argentus because: hot sand, not hot sad *roll eyes*

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Well, $14 is a ridiculously low offer for that item but on the other hand, when I look on Craigslist it usually seems pretty obvious to me that the people selling these things believe their stuff is worth far more than it actually is. Sorry but if you have a TV you paid $800 for last year, I'm not going to be thinking I got a great deal on it if you try to sell it to me for $600. It's used. If I'm going to pay $600 for a used TV, I might as well pay $800 for a new one. And if I really can't afford the extra $200 I've got bigger problems than needing a TV.

What I'm trying to say is that people who want to buy used items want to get a really good deal. $100 is a lot for a used watch. The $14 guy was probably just trolling you though. But frankly, I don't generally buy used stuff unless I get it at a garage sale or something. Garage sale people are motivated because they usually think of the things they're selling as junk and they want it out of their house.

People who are trying to sell for top dollar? I usually don't even bother with that. When I'm looking at used stuff I'm not looking at it because I want to help someone make money. I'm looking at used stuff because I can't afford to spend much.

Basically, I'm trying to say you shouldn't wait until you need money to try and sell something and you shouldn't expect to even get half of what you paid for it.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
You guys who profess to NEVER low-ball or argue about price are extremely naive. Most of the world bargains. If you just blithely accept the MSRP of a new car, for example, you just cost yourself thousands of dollars. And it gets worse--A LOT worse. I was in Rome a few years ago just outside the Roman Wall beyond is the Vatican. Lined up in the plaza there are street vendors of all types, most of whom speak perfect English. They tend to sell luggage, trinkets, jewelry, and handbags. They sell the Prada brand, for example. It's not unusual for a Prada handbag to sell for $2500. You can verify this yourself in the high-end retail shops just beyond the plaza. That's what they cost. Look 'em up on the web. Nordstroms and Saks Fifth Avenue sell them.

But these street vendors have got a deal for you! Yup! Somehow they have a shipment of Prada handbags--the exact same ones in the store across the Plaza, and they will sell you one for $100! Incredible bargain, No?

No. They're knockoff fakes that sell for $15. I picked up two fro my young teenage nieces so they could strut their stuff. If you don't bargain with people, they have a name for you. You're called 'A Mark.'

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

When I was in Italy over the summer the big thing was selfie sticks.

'I make good deal for you, ten Euro normal price, you get for 5 Euro!'

I threw them all off and said I wanted to pay 15 as I walked away.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

ive seen them.
my watch is not some rare hard to get #. i see them new on the web from between about 80 and 120 or so depending on the site.

i never said i was firm on the price. i would take less. i took 15 less for something i sold just a bit ago.
start at 80.
start at 120.
reduce by 15%

whatever means a person is using, $14 is crazy.
dont matter.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: CunningPerson

I never do it for the same reason. My conscience. I'm more a "pay what I'm willing to pay" guy. If I am willing to pay something then I'll pay it. I'd never try to take more than I'm due or give less than I'm willing to for the sake of, what, having more stuff or more money? That's bad karma and it will always come back to BITE

im the same way.
if i have the scratch and i think it is worth it, i buy it.
i might give it a little go. i did with my car just to see. dude wanted 2400 and i had it. i offered 2300 and he said ok so i paid him.
no big.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

There is negotiating for something you really want, and there is an insult to the vendor. That's my reality. I imagine it's different on the webs, where there is fraud and misrepresentation, but in the real world where people and their works matter, to profoundly lowball an asking price is a grave insult.

It would appear that your view and mine are on opposite ends of the spectrum, but that's not really true; if a person is bidding on an item, they are free to lowball, knowing that they most likely won't get the bid. If a person is looking at an item in person, they either believe the item is genuine and fairly bid for it, or they should walk away from it.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
dont matter.

$14 is low but it is not that low considering a new one is $70 on eBay with free shipping.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
You guys who profess to NEVER low-ball or argue about price are extremely naive. Most of the world bargains. If you just blithely accept the MSRP of a new car, for example, you just cost yourself thousands of dollars. And it gets worse--A LOT worse. I was in Rome a few years ago just outside the Roman Wall beyond is the Vatican. Lined up in the plaza there are street vendors of all types, most of whom speak perfect English. They tend to sell luggage, trinkets, jewelry, and handbags. They sell the Prada brand, for example. It's not unusual for a Prada handbag to sell for $2500. You can verify this yourself in the high-end retail shops just beyond the plaza. That's what they cost. Look 'em up on the web. Nordstroms and Saks Fifth Avenue sell them.

But these street vendors have got a deal for you! Yup! Somehow they have a shipment of Prada handbags--the exact same ones in the store across the Plaza, and they will sell you one for $100! Incredible bargain, No?

No. They're knockoff fakes that sell for $15. I picked up two fro my young teenage nieces so they could strut their stuff. If you don't bargain with people, they have a name for you. You're called 'A Mark.'

well im not a new car kind of guy and i have never been to the namche bazaar so i dont really have a need to barter. when i go to the grocery store i tend to pay what the price is.

i hit flea markets and garage sales a lot. a lot of times i will offer a touch less even though i am willing to pay what they are asking. other times i pay what they are asking if it is something i want and i feel it is worth it.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

dont matter.

$14 is low but it is not that low considering a new one is $70 on eBay with free shipping.

i guess. i think it is pretty crazy.
like i said though. i dont really buy/sell like that.

i buy/sell for what i feel is fair.

i bought a 65 hd 1080 last feb. in march it stopped turning on. it has been in my closet since. i listed it for 100.
i told the dude what happened and i had absolutely no idea how much to fix. maybe 5 bucks maybe 500.
i let him have it for 85. one of us got a deal. all i know it has been in my closet and i am never going to attempt to fix.

seemed fair to me. he felt the same. done deal

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

That is where I go to get a gauge on the market for anything, eBay is like the world's largest garage sale.

edit on 14-8-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Who is Barstar Lumberjerk?

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

That is where I guy to get a gauge on the market for anything, eBay is like the world's largest garage sale.

true huh.
use the ebay average of your area for a jumping off point

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

well im not a new car kind of guy and i have never been to the namche bazaar so i dont really have a need to barter. when i go to the grocery store i tend to pay what the price is.

Yet you were bartering a watch you knew could easily sell for $80 and you put a price of $100 on it. You were "insulted," but you were playing the game. That's kinda what I thought. You were high-balling the piece and angry that someone dared to low-ball you.

And you don't need to be a "new car kinda guy." It's not about you; it's about how the world works--even here, and not at an open air market. Some other people here professed that they always pay what is asked, and I'm saying to THEM (since you're not a "new car kinda guy") that if you, i.e.: Anyone, buys a car at MSRP, then you, i.e.: Anyone who does so, just lost several thousand dollars because THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS unless you, i.e.: Anyone in that position, happen to find a "No dicker sticker" kind of dealer, which is fairly rare. Saturn did it, but they are no longer around.

Bartering is not a fixed-price kind of game; it's a negotiation.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12
a reply to: galaga

I have a $12,000 painting I am selling. I should have you sell it and we will split it.

That's my problem I'm having with mine.Like I said, I'm sitting on it. But I think our best bet is to let an auction handle it.

That's what I've been told. I went to Art galleries and even called the gallery that reps the artist. They had no interest.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

i put what i paid. would have been cool if i got that for it. i would have taken less...yes
but 14 bucks. come on

not a game really. i dont think of it that way

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

i put what i paid. would have been cool if i got that for it. i would have taken less...yes
but 14 bucks. come on

not a game really. i dont think of it that way

Yup, 14 dollars is crack head prices.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join