It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i love music but even the stuff i love makes me depressed anymore....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
it really sucks. i think i am entering my winter phase of seasonal affective disorder bull# where i will depressed for like 6 months straight.
back to the music.
a little background. i picked up the guitar when i was about 10. put it down shortly after but when i hit my early 20's i picked it up and got serious about it. practiced all the time. studied my theory. got halfway decent.
a few years ago i had an accident and lost a good portion of my left ring finger. lost it at the PIP joint. had to have my middle repaired.

putting the pain aside, i just can not do what i want to do with the guitar because of my finger. it #ing sucks. yes i know tony iommi played with missing tips. yes i know django played with just 2 fingers. anything is possible.

me though...i just get depressed.
i bought a concert ukulele.....cant really do much. certain chords i cant hit.
bought another guitar. a cheap gold top just to try and see what i could pull off. not much. depressing. sold it.
i have an ibanez bass hanging on the wall. cant do much with that.
certain chords are impossible to hit and i am so #ing frustrated. i hate it

i have so much music in my head that i will never be able to play myself and it bothers me.

i have guitar pro so my wife said i should at least compose my songs with it. i could at least actually hear something that way and you never know, i meet come across someone who i make nice with and they can play my #.
still not the same as me playing it.

i have always loved the theory, composition, arrangment side of music more than the playing except when it comes to my stuff. i want to play my stuff.
i listen to frank or les or gary and i am instantly inspired then i instantly get depressed and turn it off.

what is the point?
people tell me to learn lefty. try the keys.

i could try keys but i really dont want to play the ivories. i like strings.

just bumming......

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Its okay to be "bumming", leads to new inspiration. Ride it out. Don't over react or make harsh decisions (like quitting music).

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Try something else, there are amazing digital instruments on the market nowadays, You can get vocals, guitar sounds, drum pads, keyboards, synths, samplers and in one package for relatively little money. Native instruments Maschine is and awesome bit of kit, But there are many many others....

You will come back to the guitar though, You're just not "feeling it" atm, Consider it a "writer's block" of sorts...

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
i hear what you are both saying...there is some truth to it.
i know there are tons of instruments and machines that i could play but i want to play the strings....
my wife was talking about me getting some keys and while it would be fun to mess around i really have no interest in playing them.
i could play percussion but again..just not interested.
i would love to write songs that feature these instruments but those are not what i want to play.

for the hell of it tesla, could you toss me a couple links? when i start looking at synths and samplers i get a little lost.
it might not be a bad idea in the long run. thanks man

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Here is the maschine in action, remember you can load it with any kind of samples you want, even your own guitar riffs, the video is just a demo of it in action

Here is a brand new one from Pioneers thats due to be released at the end of the month, Its kind of expensive though but doesnt need a computer, It can be used standalone

www.pioneerdj.com...

Heres one thats much less expensive from korg, they do quite a few different models, All very powerful bits of kits

Dont let the style of music in these vids put you off, they're merely demos, you can play any genre with these, At the very least they can be used to add interesting sound effects to your guitar music in real time. they can range in price from £80 for a small effector, up to several thousand pounds + for something legenday like a refurbed Moog.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

If you suffer from Depression or Anger Issues it's best not to listen to Music at all...

That's what I've experienced anyway... I don't listen to it anymore unless it's on Films I'm watching..

Music makes you think of past times when it's better to think of now and the Future IMO.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ColaTesla

your vids didnt work so i looked one up. very cool

do they come pre loaded with the instruments?
like i said i have guitar pro but it is pre loaded with all kinds of instruments so i kind of feel like this does the same?
i have never worked with a sampling machine before

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

If you suffer from Depression or Anger Issues it's best not to listen to Music at all...

i am starting to think you are right. ive loved music my entire life. i do suffer from depression/anger/anxiety issues.
been diagnosed several times by several docs all with a different opinion so i really dont know what is going on.

even my beloved zappa and claypool. i find myself enjoying it less because i can not play and when i hear it the first instinct i have is to pick up the guitar and play or pick up the pen and write.
so i go back to whats the point

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
screenshot of guitar pro

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Maybe this will help cheer you up.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

If you have SAD, Melatonin is a good supplement to take. A good multi vitamen and you can take high doses of Vit D amd Vit C- look up the doses. Get general blood tests to see if you have Vit D deficiency. Make sure your sleep schedule is regular and you get some natural sunlight. That you exercise, even if it is a swalk around the block.

If, music is irritating you at this moment, either avoid it or find NEW music, old favorites can have old memories attached.

As has already been mentioned, an electronic keyboard would be much easier to use given your finger problem.

I hope you feel better

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I grew up learning how to play almost every popular string instrument. Violin, viola, cello, upright bass, and acoustic guitar.

All i ever did was play something that the teacher wanted me to play. I always had an interest in creating my own songs but what i ended up doing was mashing certain bits from other songs into one piece. It sounded good in my head but i couldn't come up with anything original until my first solo at a play. That was on a guitar. But after a while i gave up on guitar. I gave up on everything.

Now what i do is i buy samples online of real instruments being played, with each sample being different in pitch, timing, and play style. Now what i do is i create a string of those samples all chopped up and stitched together. All in an effort to make it sound different. I always love buying samples of played instruments. Because at least it is in fact an instrument that was recorded live at one time. And the sounds i make now with these samples are much more interesting than what anyone can put together in a musical score

Even when it comes to drums i always like buying samples of real drums.

I love jungle drum and bass, and the only other artists out there that make my favorite style of jungle is the Gresham brothers. Dan Nu:Tone and Logistics.

I have created over 26 different albums of work in my entire life of making music and never sold a single copy of any track. Even though some of my tracks have been downloaded over 40,000 times.

As of right now i am too depressed to even make music knowing that no one ever wants to spend the money on a track they enjoy listening to.

If i like a song enough i will buy it. Only because i want to hear more from my favorite artists.

Your depression comes from a physical condition. Mine comes from a psychological condition. I dont want to create anymore music since my listeners dont want to pay anything to listen to my music. So the music industry should die out. That way people understand what it takes to keep music alive. If you arent willing to pay 1 dollar to download an mp3... then we all should stop creating new music. And you will be stuck where we left off.

That is why i stopped creating any new music.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

That's heartbreaking.

Switch sides. You will hate it at first, but if you really want it, maybe it's even a chance for improvement.

Did you know Angelique Kerber, does everything with the right hand. Except tennis. Think about as if maybe it's a message.
You can't change the facts, but adapt. Exercise.

And like I said that's horrible, sometimes I play myself and can almost understand what it feels like to be good. Lost in the flow. At home. Like magic, all falls in place. Try the other hand.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

That's heartbreaking.

Switch sides. You will hate it at first, but if you really want it, maybe it's even a chance for improvement.

Did you know Angelique Kerber, does everything with the right hand. Except tennis. Think about as if maybe it's a message.
You can't change the facts, but adapt. Exercise.

And like I said that's horrible, sometimes I play myself and can almost understand what it feels like to be good. Lost in the flow. At home. Like magic, all falls in place. Try the other hand.

switching would be a task. i just picked up my wifes bass and tried to mess around lefty and it was bad.
far worse than when i picked up the guitar for the first time.

im sure i could do it but i dont think i am up to the task.

maybe i could be the next doyle bramhall and then i could marry the woman that used to look like rene zelwegger now

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

top topics

join