It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you think you can only draw stickmen?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 04:36 AM
link   
In the light of the drawing contest and a recent tattoo thread,
it came to my mind that so much talent is probably wasted. Because there are people,
I´m sure about that, who would like to partake in the contest but feel they can´t draw anything.

They are probably wrong.

I never was good at drawing. Until I met a nun. She´s also art teacher, we talked a bit and I marveled about her drawings.
She asked if I want to learn it. I said not sure if I have talent. She said, everyone has talent but most don´t know how to use it.
You will be as surprised, as I was. This is what she let me draw to get my basic skill levels.
A face, a tree, a pencil and a fruitbowl.

I know... The face looks like a mug with two handles... Aweful. The pencil isn´t straight and the tree looks like... I honestly don´t know

Then she told me we´re going to find someone to draw a face. I thought this will never play out.
Around 30 minutes later:

Please scroll down for dramatic effect

and then this

Even if I can´t teach you this like she did, I want to share this with you.
You all have talent, you just don´t know it.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   
A great tip is if you want to draw something other than faces. Split the object into primitive forms like cubes and cylinders to get the crude shape then focus on the shadows and details.

It will help you get the proportions and angles right.

That´s the best tip I ever got. It´s important that you use your pen as a measurement tool, not only for drawing. If you know and do these things, you will wonder how much talent is in you.

If you want do draw faces, you have to know that the eyes are almost in the middle of the head.
-You start with the outlines of the face.
-Then you put the eyes a little bit over the middle.
-The distance between the eyes should be 1 eye width. Just draw the outlines, no eyebal yet.
-Add eyebrows.
-From the left eyebow, draw a line downwards to the left side tip of the nose.
-Draw a big circle for the tip of the nose and two smaller ones on each side.
-Do NOT draw a second line towards the other eye.
- Then focus on the chin. Use circles and ellipses.
-The mouth is the hardest part, you only hint the bottom lip. If you draw a imaginary line down from the nose-line, you should end up at the corners of the mouth.
-The iris should be bigger than the outlines of the eye.
-Draw the outline of the ears.
-Hair comes at last.

I had a model to look at, it´s important that she/he feels comfortable, or else you won´t match the face. Bring the model to laugh or say funny things or act a bit funny and make the model smile before you start to draw the outlines.

edit on 14-8-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Your first attempt at drawing a face...
Please don't tell me that was a serious attempt, or is that Obama?

Maybe we should have a contest for the absolute worst drawing, just for laughs?

Your second attempt is indeed a dramatic improvement, so congratulations!

Your second attempt of the trees is also a dramatic improvement! I'm assuming those are female trees??

soulwaxer
edit on 14-8-2016 by soulwaxer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: soulwaxer

Thank you .
Indeed it was a serious attempt. But only gave me 5 minutes for the face, the ears were drawn when she said let´s move on to a tree
. But I had to at least give him ears. It was drawn out of my head. I just couldn´t do better with the face, but yeah. I think she saw enough when I started to draw the ears. Since I messed up the left one, I had to do it on the other side, too

Just saw your edit: You mean the holes? They´re supposed to be cut of branches and it has a deeper meaning to me. Loved ones that passed away so fast that I had to cut the branches, instead of break them. I think the picture shows how I felt for a very long time after that.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   
verschickter

I like both trees. They both are pretty good IMO...psychologists use drawings of trees sometimes in their work..

Here is what those drawings could say about you..or..they could be just drawings of a tree..

None the less, both the trees and the possible meanings behind them are fascinating (at least to me)

Thanks,
blend57

And I will never be able to draw more then stick men..but my stick men are getting pretty good!

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57
I have to say your link touched me a bit. Indeed. Uncanning and churning up.
Yes you are not so far away. I slipped a bit information here and there (it helps me dealing with it) on the board.
There´s not really anyone I could talk to about that because I always had to be strong for others.

Btw:
If your stickman has no shoulders and hips, it´s not a stick man either, I was told

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: soulwaxer

If it's a worst drawing contest count me in, Seriously though, Im one of those people were my handwriting can only be read by me, Funny thing is, im a carpenter, so i can build nice things, im good with measurements and working with angles ect, but when it comes to drawing or handwriting ,a small child could put me to shame

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Why not make an "improofement contest"?
Drawing a picture every weekend and then let´s see who got the best improofments. The ones who did not improof so much but had fun with it can be helped by those that got better?
Excluding me of course because I got help already?

The price is your skill at the end and a good feeling if you could help others?
But kind of hard to teach something over the internet, while not being physical there.

Maybe some people who are confident can drop a few tips?

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
verschickter

Ok..way to shatter my fragile little world...

*runs and hides under desk.*

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   

That was my reaction when I was told "Most people can´t even draw stickmen, but excel at objects".

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Even the original tree and fruit bowl are fine drawings. You do have talent.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra
Thank you
So do have most I guess but need to discover first

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   

becomes

proportions may vary

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
verschickter

Stickman...

If you do it like this..does having no shoulders and hips still mean it's not a stickman? (just say no, just say no, just say no..)

Blend57
edit on 14-8-2016 by blend57 because: to make edits

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Wow

Who am I trying to tell YOU what a stickman is, when you come up with this. Great

It´s not a stickman, it´s already art

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Wanna hear something really odd? I can carve or build any shape you want........but I can't draw. Really. I've tried for years. My ex wife is an excellent artist, can draw or paint amazing pictures and she tried for years to teach me, but..nada.
Can't do it.
Give me a piece of wood and my carving knives and I can make it, but keep me away from paper and pencil..I'm hopeless.

If the person who can draw like this couldn't teach me...it ain't happenin'
I really wish I could enter this in the Dragon Drawing thread, but I didn't do it and I don't think they'll allow it.

That ok though...she can't carve.

edit on 14-8-2016 by DAVID64 because: better pic

edit on 14-8-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Amazing! I see it was a good idea, with all the drawings coming into the thread slowly.
She really seems to have a good imagination.

However, not everyone can be good at everything, everone has their talents. If you don´t mind, you could post some work, even if it´s not a drawing?

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
lol..I already threw it away..but ty for your kind words..

Kinda looked like bacon to me..and then I realized I was hungry and I think the bacon thoughts intermingled with the stickman thoughts as I was drawing him...

But thank you for saying that..it is very kind..

and it was because you made this thread and showed some techniques that I even picked up the pencil..so, I guess you are the reason bacon stickman even existed..lol

Thanks again,
blend57

edit on 14-8-2016 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I make these for drink coasters or whatever someone wants to do with them

and this will be a hand mirror when I'm finished. A few more details and I still need to put the mirror on the back.

edit on 14-8-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64
Do you use any pencils or markers before or do you do it freestyle? Anyways, it does not take away any of the beauty, freestyle or not. I´m just interested

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join