It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EVP

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I saw the movie "White Noise" recently, and it sparked a new interest in EVP. I'll try to tell you about it, and see if maybe we could get a research project going on the topic.

What is EVP?

EVP stands for Electronic Voice Phenomena, it basically says that there are sometimes unexpected voices that are found in recording media that many believe eminate from the "dead". The survival hypothesis may be the best explanation to date.

Survival Hypothesis

The Survival Hypothesis states that we are non-physical beings who are capable of existing in the physical aspect of reality because of our physical body. When the physical body dies, we change our "point of view" to a non-physical reality. Existing still, just in a different reality. The messages are non-physical (in origin obviously), the messages can be accessed and examined, however, the origin can not.

How does EVP work?

Based on information collected from various studies, and the general thought that ghosts have a fondness for eletrical devices, we assume that they are electro-magnetic in nature. Devices such as Televisions, Computers, Phones, and Tape-recorders. It is believed that they can communicate with more ease to these devices than a physical being.

Recording EVP

Get an analog tape recorder, plug an external microphone into the jack and place it 3 or more feet from the recorder.

Secondly, get a high quality tape that is less than 90 minutes.

Then play it back, it doesn't always work, but who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and get something?

Links

www.unexplained.info...

Other

Hopefully this has at least helped you to better understand EVP, and maybe even sparked a new interest for you in it
. Sure has for me. Also, just as a note, I have never gotten any voices yet on tape, however, I have gotten sounds.

-JB

[edit on 20-1-2005 by JBurns]

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Glad to see more EVP stuff around here...I was beginning to think I was one of few interested in the subject...

I'd just like to add that Digital Recorders are fine as well...as long as you get a decent quality one and still use of an external mic is recommended.

So what did you have in mind for an experiment?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Your not the only one interested...it's just that that are other threads already here on this subject...try the search feature and you'll find other threads on this to read.....then you can add to an existeng thread!

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBurns
How does EVP work?

Based on information collected from various studies, and the general thought that ghosts have a fondness for eletrical devices, we assume that they are electro-magnetic in nature. Devices such as Televisions, Computers, Phones, and Tape-recorders. It is believed that they can communicate with more ease to these devices than a physical being.

-JB

[edit on 20-1-2005 by JBurns]

The reason electronics can pick up on it easier than humans (although humans CAN get these messages with practice), is that it is so hard for us to close down the logic and emotional sides and stay 'zombed', or trance like some call it, long enough to pick up anything. Then, the messages are so darn fast and short - by the time we even pick up on the idea it was there - our logic and reason has already talked us into thinking we didn't hear anything or our emotion has bogged us down.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Well, this thread was basically made to explain about EVP, and to find out if anyone wanted to do an ATS project on it?

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Sounds like the perfect thing for me. You just turn it on, let it run, and then listen to it later. I got a tape recorder for Christmas, so I'll be sure to try and capture EVPs a few times.

Do you suggest using the High or Low setting? I assume high since it may be more faint or somewhere further away in the room, etc..

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Basically that's true, unless it creates excessive noise. You should try asking questions first, then leaving it run for a period of time.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Ok Jburns you have me interested i will lend my talents to this crew if you want.I have alot of recording equipment.But oddly enough i dont have a simple tape recorder.Oh well ill go with what I have (which is probably better i dunno?).Anyway If you go ahead U2U me or post what you need to say here.Im always around.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Could you use a microphone plugged into your pc socket and put the recording volume on high? I guess the only problem with this is the noise that comes from your pc.. fans etc..

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Actually you could use this fan as a sort of "white noise". That would be an idea, but you'd have to use a notebook to capture it remotely.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I guess so, I was thinking of any other noises though that might interfere like your hardrive clicking. One you put it onto your pc and adjust volumes it could be mistaken for a gooly.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   
So you guys gonna post up anything you get on tape, that would be cool.

Scares the pants off me though.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Im going to give it a go with my pc mic later tonight and see if I get anything.

I was just thinking, I wonder what would happen if you had an OBE and went over to your recording device and spoke into it.. whether it would record anything? I very much doubt it like but I still might try that too. Could you imagine the sheer terror if you remembered what you said and it said it when you played it back.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I plan to use my Mic on my fender amp.Then record It with my comp while doing energy work.Aswell as trying to call upon a few things it will be interesting to find out if anything changes.I believe we will be posting results when JBurns gives us the low down on what he wants done exactly.
I dunno just yet.I imagine that he will come up with a guideline for the study.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
I got a tape recorder for Christmas.

Well, that's a # xmas present!

Admittedly better than what I got though (a jumper)

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Mainly what I'm looking to accomplish with this, is to determine whether or not certain environmental variables will change the outcome of the EVP. For example, if you use "white noise" in a room (controlled situation), and don't use it..will the results be different? Anything that we can test..we should!

I'd also like to go through many different EVP files, and try to determine which ones sound like "noise", and which ones sound like actual files.

I know this isn't a clear project plan, I will draft one up shortly.

Thanks to all who is interested!

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Ill start searching for files then?
Do you want me to search the net...I'm good at it(already starting).
I will u2u you Jburns and tell you the info ok!
Also I've been dealing with a few things and havent started recording yet.
but will....tonight.

zef

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
As a Catholic who is interested in EVP, I found this interesting:

The Vatican & the EVP

Unknown to many Christians — the Catholic Church has been positive and encouraging towards investigation of the Electronic Voice Phenomena.

• Two of the earliest investigators were Italian Catholic priests, Father Ernetti and Father Gemelli, who came upon the phenomena by chance while they were recording Gregorian chants in 1952.

• Father Gemelli heard his own father's voice on the tape calling him by a childhood nick-name saying 'Zucchini, it is clear, don't you know it is I.'

• Deeply troubled by Catholic teaching in regard to contact with the dead the two priests visited Pope Pius XII in Rome.

• The Pope reassured them:

Dear Father Gemelli, you really need not worry about this. The existence of this voice is strictly a scientific fact and has nothing to do with spiritism. The recorder is totally objective. It receives and records only sound waves from wherever they come. This experiment may perhaps become the cornerstone for a building for scientific studies which will strengthen people's faith in a hereafter (Italian Journal Astra, June 1990 quoted Kubis and Macy, 1995:102 ).

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
i have been gettin phone calls on my cell 4 about 4 months and its like either like 5 voices or a little girl tellin me she loves me at like 3 in the mornig and most recently wierd growls and skreches and im talkin loud high pitch shrieks if anyone has these let me know

[edit on 26-4-2006 by white noise]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
As far as the recording equipment gos I believe a low quilty noisey unit is best suited for this application. I rented the DVD "White Noise" and they had an awesome section about the phenomenon and said the inexpensive digital recorders are the best becuase thier high self noise ratio was good for picking up the "voices". Also they set thier recorders voice activated mode so it only records when a sound is detected by the mic. It was pretty cool to see nobody making any sounds but the internal noise/"voices" triggering the recorder and then they would play it back. There are some great sites out there, I forgot the links though (sorry!).
I tried it in my office with my recording set up, it was an MXL Condenser Mic, into an M-Audio Audio buddy preamp, into a Delta 66 using the Adobe Audition program (formerly Cool Edit Pro). I got nothing though. I wouldn't mind helping where I can, I work in a recording studio and have lots of experience with audio.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join