It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I May Be Homeless

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
After returning home from work last night I read an email where my landlord says that I have five days to pack up and move out. I do not have enough money for another place and I have no friends or family in the province I am living in. I am waiting to hear back from a dental technician job, which I was assured I would get. But, I do not have it yet. I have a low-paying night cleaning job. There is nowhere for me to move my things, my cat, myself. However, I have family in a different province. The idea of moving in with them, at my age (nearing 40) is depressing to say the least, and they may not want me. My parents say they are unable to help me financially right now and my sister, well, she has helped me a lot as it is, just to get this far.

So, how did I end up in this mess?

Long story short, I befriended the wrong people. I became good friends with a man who became a 'caring' older brother to me. He had a male partner, business and personal. I am male and straight but they understood that and there was never any awkwardness. I was just glad to have friends who were deep and cool, loyal and helpful. And they were, yet they were also something else. I was gullible enough to believe that this man's partner had been wrongfully convicted of a crime, that the local police were corrupt and had turned on him. This guy had a troubled past, but my good friend assured me that he'd changed since he was young and in trouble and that people often held his past against him unfairly. I fell for this. I fell for their 'good natures' and their 'compassion' for me. Turns out, they are both criminals and sociopaths and were using me all along.

They talked me into moving here, but I needed a chance to move away from my old town/situation, which I discussed in a previous thread. I encountered hostile work crews here as well and I now suspect that my 'good friends' had been stirring things up for me, just to make me miserable. They set me up for failure with this job and one of these 'friends' of mine fired me for 'fighting with the night crew,' which I was not. This crew attacked me as if I was a horrible person, as if I’d said or done something terribly offensive to them.

The 'friend' of mine with the criminal past, who I was working under in a cleaning company here, had asked for me to get a criminal background check so he could secure me a better paying cleaning job in the company. He kept making such promises. He had promised me better pay than what I actually ended up making and this caused to be late with the rent for the first month. A ‘problem’ sending my pay to the right address caused me to be late the second month (first the pay would not deposit into my account and then the check was delivered to my old address, so I was told.) Shortly after I sent a digital copy of a criminal background check to the friend I was working under, he fired me. One day he left me a message to go in to cover for someone for the third time in a row, his voice friendly as can be, supportive of me while I was under attack by yet another work crew, and the next I receive a very cold email stating that my "services are no longer required."

At first I thought it was some kind of prank. I sent each of my friends emails and left phone messages. They shut me out like they never knew me. Eventually the criminal one I'd been working under got back to me with: "I thought the email was self-explanatory."

I got a new job, where I've been complimented for leaving nothing undone, nothing at all my bosses could pick at. It's not even a difficult job. It's a slow paced, low anxiety job, cleaning offices on your own, and the other cleaners are so nice. I got an interview and tried out a dental technician job, for much better pay. They had three of us training there, one day each. I was second and I was told that I was the leading candidate so far. The job starts September 1'st. They will train me into the process of making dentures! It's a great opportunity that I've been very excited about! It would be a real, professional career. I would have a job with a lab coat! I even got along great with them. I am so used to working with rude and ignorant people, and these people are so friendly, so classy! I am so close to happiness...

edit on 13-8-2016 by LoneCloudHopper2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I’ve explained that to my landlord when I had trouble paying the rent this month. I plan to sell collectibles of mine online to make up for what I am missing for rent money. I would have listed the items sooner, but I've been very 'under the weather' since this humid weather started. Understand, I am asthmatic, and when the humid weather hits I become a zombie (it’s like having NO energy.) It's worse here in this inland city than where I lived before, on the coast. It's so warm and humid, and maybe there's an air toxicity issue as well. I experienced this when I lived in Toronto years ago. It's the kind of thing that you may have to go through in order to understand. I was planning on buying an air conditioner. I had everything worked out, despite the pay being below what I'd expected. But, I was fired, by a 'friend' of mine, without notice. I could not afford an air conditioner as I needed money for more practical expenses (yes, more practical than health.) I have done breathing exercises each day, but has been difficult. My apartment got quite messy for a while there, and my landlord happened to see it. He was not amused. I reminded him that it was clean when he'd seen it before and I have cleaned it since, but he is still not letting go of that incident.

Back to the criminal background check. When the criminal 'friend' of mine fired me he mentioned that there were no other positions available for me, after lying to me that there were all kinds of opportunities. I called his boss to tell him about this friend's criminal past. His boss said that he passed the criminal background check and that's all he cared about. I called a police officer in my friends’ old town, where the police were 'out to get him.' This criminal 'friend' of mine has a trial pending for stealing government money from a roads program he'd been the president of. The officer had no idea that he'd moved to this province. He told me, believe it or not: "If his boss doesn't care, I don't care." The officer told me that they will find him when they need him and he seemed very uninterested in anything I could say, which surprised me a lot because I was willing to help them. I had called anonymously but would have given my name if I felt it would help.

I realized how my criminal 'friend' had passed and why he'd really asked me for my criminal background check and why they had both talked me into moving up here to work under him in the first place. These two are very good with computers and software. They needed a criminal background check from this province, signed by a local police officer. They could easily alter the information on the digital copy to put his info in. They got one, from me.

I also found out that he changed his last name legally in the past, to hide that he was a convicted criminal. He is now using a different last name, whether it is legal or not. I do not know where they are living as they cleverly managed to avoid pinpointing their exact location to me and most likely indicated a different area all together. They played me for YEARS until they finally had use for me. When I was no longer needed they cast me out like so much garbage. And the law doesn't care one iota, about any of it. You can imagine how this ripped out my heart and made me feel rather down about the world I've been living in. Even more down than I was, due to the remarkable childish and hateful attitudes I’d endured through different circumstances of late.

So, here I am, almost homeless. I’ve explained the situation (keeping it simple) to my landlord. I am only behind 2 weeks and everything before has been paid. This is the third time that a promise of mine, regarding when rent would be paid, has been broken. I did my best. I am not a criminal and cannot con people or steal from my relatives like that criminal ‘friend’ of mine has apparently done. I’m an honest, hard working man and I’ve been screwed over so badly that it’s become a satire. Right now I am so stretched, so battered, so down on the world. I am so close to getting through this mess to a better place in life! I’ve explained that to my landlord...he doesn’t care.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Hey man, if your in BC send me a private, i could help you out if your not too far away, also in the town i live there's tons of job openings, the only issue is living is expensive.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Go to a bank and take out a small personal loan. Not a big deal. You can pay it back as soon as you get on your feet.

I would take as much as they would give. Most banks will do it as long as your credit is not jacked up. If that is the case looks like you are homeless.

Little to old to be learning this lesson but that is ok. Learn it, save some coin for a rainy day every pay period next time.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Wow, thanks a lot.
I'm in NB though.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: LoneCloudHopper2

I really don't think your landlord can give you five days notice. Make sure you check the local tenant laws.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

I have bad credit though. I've been struggling financially for years. I was conned by a small business owner who cheated me on hours. I got my money back from him in the end, through a tribunal hearing, but the ordeal had put me behind in rent and cost me thousands of dollars, which I've never recovered from. Seems I've had a history of being suckered.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Yes, I will. Sigh, this is all sucks so bad.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I've been there and my heart goes out to you. It will work out, so please keep us posted.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
My friend. My best wishes and hopes are all yours at this time.

Stay focused. One small positive at a time. Instead of thinking of the things that could hold you back. Focus on the solutions that could make things better. Good luck with the new job, I bet you nail it.

Above all else, if you need to talk to someone... Feel free to pm me anytime.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ParadigmMind

Thank you. That helps

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Wow ! That totally sucks....be glad your done with those loser friends...they were not friends, they were con men. ...... Rest assure , Karma will get them....I'm in the US so I'm not sure on Canadian eviction laws....but can a landlord in Canada kick you out in 5 days Without a court order ? Here in the US the landlord has to go to court , and usually the court will ask the landlord to give you some time to catch up on rent payments first....kind of like a second chance through the courts...unless you've smashed the property up and put holes and damage in the walls....that's a different story ...either way, Eviction process here can be a slow process . But I am not sure about Canada. ....on a positive note....one good thing out of this is that you have good job opportunities now!

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: brace22

Wow, thank you very much. I was not expecting such kind responses
I can push on, I always do. I just hope that I don't end up moving back in with my parents, in my old province in that old community. Here, I have opportunities. Beautiful women even notice me. I'd be more eager for a date if my life wasn't so crazy.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
This really shocked me when you told me earlier. I know you have been working very hard. You are too sweet and trusting and these so called 'friends' were never friends. It's a shame that they took advantage of you like that. Very cold and calculating!

I know your family would never allow you to be on the streets if worse comes to worse. I wish I knew what to say or do, but I don't. I know you'd lose your current job if you had to move in with your parents or Sister as it would be too far to travel.

I hope someone here can help advise you. You know I am here and you can talk to me anytime. You are so awesome and don't deserve any of this!

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Do you belong to a church ? Not pushing religion, but most churches have a fund to help their members ....or.....check into any type of fund through The government to help you, or housing ? I don't know Canada's laws and grants so I may not be helping....unemployment pay....food stAmps?

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Awww, thanks Night! You are always there for me

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Go to your local public library. They might have a book of local resources that can help you either pay your rent or find a temporary shelter for you. I'm in the U.S., but we do have a charity in my county that provides emergency assistance to people having trouble paying their rent or utilities. Good luck.

Sal

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I feel for you. I would call a church, probably a larger one that has more community programs, and share your story. I am positive they will want to help you continue in the right direction. I am not saying that you would have to accept their religion but most churches and Christians do have programs and people who will help you. You do need a shoulder and a foot up at this time in your life and you don't need to feel ashamed-we all have made poor decisions and have needed the help from others. Forming a close bond with others in the church will do wonders and good people want to help you. But you have got to take that step and ask for help-from the right people. Please don't be afraid or too proud. Do it now. You will be in my thoughts.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Very sorry to hear about your situation.

I think is more common than people realize.

Many people are right on that edge of living hand to mouth.

Be strong.

Thoughts and prayers.

edit on 13-8-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I would actually advocate that you don't ask for help. It seems like you're close to working out your employment situation; your landlord seems to be evicting you outside of the NB regulations; in the past, you've been taken advantage of by people who were acting like they were helping you.

I think you can do this yourself. September is only one month away. If it's money that you really need to get you through, accept your sisters offer of a minimum amount that you'd need to get to your next step. In the mean time, check Kijiji for odd jobs in your area, which often pay cash. I know you said you have no energy in the heat and humidity, and I sympathize with that, but mKe an effort to sell the things you were planning to sell if you need to do that. Also apply to as many positions as you can, just in case the denture position doesn't come through.

In NB, EI runs an education program as well. If you've drawn EI in the past few years (not sure of specifics) EI will help you through an apprenticeship program. A friend of mine got his electricians ticket this way. All it took was him visiting the local job bank, and proving that the trade was in need, and what trades aren't?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join