It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

traveling international. hows it work with customs.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
do i run through customs on my departure and when i land?
i expect it is a high tension kind of situation.
im a pretty agitated guy anyway
edit on 13-8-2016 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

i have no idea even what to expect.
i am getting very nervous
edit on 13-8-2016 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
You go through security at both places but customs just at arriving country.

US customs are the worse, in some places they just stamp your passport (or not even that).

Have the address of where you are going to stay and information of your trip available, if you don't act as a terrorist/mule/illegal immigrant you will be ok

Also dont travel with raw food or food in general you can get fined, and declare your money if you travel with more than $10k or equivalent cash
edit on 13-8-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
You go through security at both places but customs just at arriving country.

US customs are the worse, in some places they just stamp your passport (or not even that).

Have the address of where you are going to stay and information of your trip available, if you don't act as a terrorist/mule/illegal immigrant you will be ok

Also dont travel with raw food or food in general you can get fined, and declare your money if you travel with more than $10k or equivalent cash

that does not sound too bad.
i just imagine it being like herds of cattle

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Yeah the biggest issue is the country you are entering, they are the front-line so to speak.
Saying that though, I thought leaving Cambodia one time after entering without a visa, bribing a guard, was more scary. Getting in was no problem, but I knew I had to bribe the guard to leave the country and he knew he could have taken all my cash. He wasn't greedy, It ended up USD$50 to get out lol.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Yeah the biggest issue is the country you are entering, they are the front-line so to speak.
Saying that though, I thought leaving Cambodia one time after entering without a visa, bribing a guard, was more scary. Getting in was no problem, but I knew I had to bribe the guard to leave the country and he knew he could have taken all my cash. He wasn't greedy, It ended up USD$50 to get out lol.

yeah i think this is the part that is getting my anxiety up. i have little patience for people and i have to be patient and calm for this. language barrier. the whole deal.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Being polite helps a lot.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

What country/airport you visiting?
I/others may have experience to reassure you maybe.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

It's stressful in the way that going through TSA can be stressful. You're normally stuck shuffling through a long line which is generally the most annoying part.

Just have your passport and declaration form ready for inspection. If you have carry on luggage with you, US Customs has the right to check your bags and purse. That doesn't usually happen unless you act suspiciously or throw up any red flags (ex. wearing a Bob Marley shirt and reeking of weed).

As long as you're courteous, they may ask you a couple of questions, then stamp your passport and you're free to go. It's usually no big deal.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

What country/airport you visiting?
I/others may have experience to reassure you maybe.

johanasburg international. south africa. then to durban.

i dont set out to be a dick. i know i come off that way a lot but in situations like this i just want to get # done. i want to be on time and in the right place. i just dont want my # to get messed up cause other people and their lolly gag #.

guy im going to see say the customs dude at joburgs pretty much work at whatever pace they want.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Never been JB so can't help, but like a previous member said just be polite and it should be a breeze...doesn't always work though, I was strip searched in Paris Charles de gaul airport many years ago lol

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
USA customs is not at all bad, but it depends on where you go. Fly out of Ireland, and US customs is at the airport in Ireland, so when you land you don't go through it. Going through New York last time was plenty bad just because of the lines. Going through Seattle is a breeze. They always welcome you home and are the nicest people you could meet. Going through Heathrow is the pits, truly. People are okay, but the long lines and multiple stops are quite tiring.

In my experience declaring what you have brought back is really easy. They don't really care and you needn't be precise. Last time I went through they didn't even collect the slips, and the times before that they collected them, but didn't look at them at all, just smiled and waved us through.

Security checks are a whole nother ballgame not connected with customs. Just pay attention. If you're with a family with kids, you frequently get a break because they just want to get you through. We had three generations with little kids and they let us bypass the machines even when I was being loudly critical of them. If you have a TSA-pre check pass it's really a piece of cake and you don't need to shed shoes and jackets, or any of that stuff. I believe these guys have lightened up a bit this last year or so.

I'm guessing it's easier if you're old, white, and traveling with a spouse. I've been scrutinized much more closely when I fly alone. Also, if you're handicapped they'll take pretty good care of you. I was walking with a cane and a severe limp last time (Hurt my knee) and customs/security went out of their way to help me, really more than they needed to. Last time I went to Prague I noticed two Asian gals ahead of us took unusually long at the booth. My wife and i were next. Hello. Stamp. Done. It was that quick. Don't know what the issue was with the Asians. They were not Americans. I could tell from their passport color.
edit on 8/13/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

No customs when you leave the USA . Only when you arrive in your destination country and when you return home.
Have your bags ready . TSA will hold you up on our side when you are leaving. So pretty much have clean undies on for the whole trip.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
I'm guessing it's easier if you're old, white, and traveling with a spouse.

Lol, and if your first language is English. Outside of China it is the worlds second language, feeling more confident now OP?

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

i will either go through dulles, jfk, or hotlanta. i really dont want atlanta and will pay extra if i have to not to go.

sillyolme, all i am travelling there with is a decent sized backpack...my carry one.

guy i am staying with was just here and his bags were last and we had to go to airport next day to get them.

on the way there it is clothes on me and my changes.
on the way back it is clothes on me and all the # i am bringing back. travel light. travel fast

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I've passed through JNB probably 20 times over last 5 years. It's pretty straightforward. Get off your plane, go through immigration (the people who stamp your passport). They usually ask what your coming for, holiday/work etc, and how long you want to stay, thinl standard tourist visa is 3 months now. It's all very stress free and staff are friendly. Can take up to 20 minutes to get through immigration if a couple of fully loaded A380s land at same time.
Once you're past immigration, you pick up your bags and continue past customs/quarantine. These are the people checking you're not bringing in too much duty free or anything illegal. Just walk past them, they'll call you over if they want to check your bags. Otherwise just keep walking.
Your flight to durban is a domestic flight so you don't do immigration or customs again. If you flying on to durban the same day you arrive you can check in at the domestic transfer desk without leaving the airport. The transfer desk is on your left about 20 meters after customs. It's well signed and jnb is fairly small airport so impossible to get lost.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Make sure to wrap a second layer of latex condom over your contraband.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: dumb0

I've passed through JNB probably 20 times over last 5 years. It's pretty straightforward. Get off your plane, go through immigration (the people who stamp your passport). They usually ask what your coming for, holiday/work etc, and how long you want to stay, thinl standard tourist visa is 3 months now. It's all very stress free and staff are friendly. Can take up to 20 minutes to get through immigration if a couple of fully loaded A380s land at same time.
Once you're past immigration, you pick up your bags and continue past customs/quarantine. These are the people checking you're not bringing in too much duty free or anything illegal. Just walk past them, they'll call you over if they want to check your bags. Otherwise just keep walking.
Your flight to durban is a domestic flight so you don't do immigration or customs again. If you flying on to durban the same day you arrive you can check in at the domestic transfer desk without leaving the airport. The transfer desk is on your left about 20 meters after customs. It's well signed and jnb is fairly small airport so impossible to get lost.

thats awesome. i have not booked yet but i will be going on to durban same day.

i can bring my medicine in my backpack as long as it is in my original prescription bottle correct?

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: dumb0

This.

Been through Joburg 3 times before...never had an issue...and if there are any concerns re:racial stereotyping, I'm big brown and look dodgy apparently...but still no issues. Mind you I'm a kiwi/New Zealander, so any issues they may ever toss at me would likely be related to our All Blacks treating their Springboks like they their Daddy...hahahaha

Never been held up for too long.
Think the longest was maybe 40mins to get through? If that. And even then it was busy as all heck.
Been held up for longer upon entry back into NZ many a time.

Usual story though: Breathe. Relax. Breathe.
Stink thing is the more you amp up with any anxiety the more you display the signs that tend to tip them off towards you maybe being a security issue...in which case your desparation NOT to be will become the very thing that creates it...

Breathe.

S'all good.

And enjoy your time there.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Different in every country-landing...and sometimes totally different on the return/departure from the same place.

Just travel and pack safe and legally. Or be specific as to location(s) so our members can help advise.

And dont think of doing something stupid...its not worth it in other countries where laws are far...FAR different.

MS

edit on 13-8-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Med's in original package/bottle won't be a problem. I travel with some heavy duty anti-seizure med's and always been fine. You can also give you local SAf embassy a call to check.
If you're in any doubt, you can get your med's here. A good private GP costs about $30 for consultation and I've never paid more than $10 for the pills, but guess that would depend on what med's you need.
Separately, don't know about flights from US, but durban has an international airport. Look into flying direct rather than via Johannesburg. Emirates have 3 direct flights a day from dubai. Don't know other airlines but sure a few others do as well.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join