It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A sharp knife, a few scraps of wood, and.....

page: 1

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Butterflies and Feathers!

I really don't consider what I do "art". Not like some of you that can paint and draw so well. I consider it a way to keep David sane, because he has way too much time on his hands. I see something in almost every piece of wood. A dragon's tail in that twisted branch, a eagle feather, ruffled by the wind in flight in that other one, that knot in the tree is the Oh! of surprise on the mouth of a Dryad, because I looked at just the right time and caught her peeking at us humans.

Some may know I'm disabled and a stay at home Dad for about the last 11 years. I loved to carve and do wood working before, but now it's a therapeutic way for me to relax and let my imagination run free. Hours go by and I find myself amidst a pile of shavings without even realizing how long I've been concentrating on that bit of wood. Even though she's very soon to be 16, my daughter loves butterflies and I like to do little things for my kids and even though they're older now, they still like the stuff I carve and sometimes ask me to do this or that.
I hate to waste a piece of wood. Little scraps accumulate here and there and I almost never throw them away, because..well..I think there are spirits in trees. Maybe not the mythical ones, but it was a living thing and to just throw it on a burn pile or grind it up is, to me, the waste of a life. It's stood there for decades, maybe even hundreds of years and patiently watched history unfold. Use it. Don't waste what Nature gives you.

I use basswood a lot, because it's a great medium for carvers. It's a tough, tight grain wood, but very light. It's also an odd wood, because it's easier to carve across the grain, instead of with it. It comes in all sizes and you can order it online, but, if you know what to look for, you may even have some growing near you.
www.google.com...=WjsJRfS_Z 5LBUM%3A

The butterfly is not quite finished, I need to put in a few more details, like thin copper wire for the feet and antennae or maybe a bit more curl to a wing tip. Sometimes it takes me weeks to be satisfied with a carving. I'll lay it down, only to pick it up days later because I happened to see it in just the right light or shadow and it gives me an idea. I took the pic of the feather with my hand for scale, just to make it easier to see the size. It's still wet from the linseed oil, but that will soak in a few hours and I'll put a couple more coats on it later. The feather is made of cherry. I had a board that was scrap because it was broken on the end and I couldn't use it on the table I was making. The jagged way the edge looked, reminded me of a lost feather from some great bird. Maybe he lost it in battle. Maybe he was just old and toward the end of a long life time of riding the wind.

Like many of the things I build or carve, I give them away. Coffee tables to butterflies, they find a new home. Trust me, if I kept everything I made, I'd need a 2nd house.

This is an on going project I've been working on and need to finish the face. Like I said, sometimes it takes me a while to get it just the way I want it.

Thought I should throw in a pic of my tools. As you can see, there's a handle in which you insert the blade and changing is quick and easy. They're not Pfeils, but they are excellent tools at a good price [ $80 ] and have held up extremely well. Each blade has a different shape, curve and purpose. Warning!! As it says, These - Are - SHARP. I've been cut just brushing against them, when I was getting one out.There are very good videos that tell you how to keep them razor sharp. You will need a slipstrop and honing compound. The strop fits the curve and angle of each blade.

Grab a carving knife, a piece of wood and let your imagination run free.
edit on 13-8-2016 by DAVID64 because: nothing nefarious - just a typo

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Wow beautiful. You should carve out a dragon for the drawing contest! Amazing work!

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I would call that art. Beautiful.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I know right? That is amazing art!

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Wow, that's fantastic work, definitely art!
Thanks for sharing a little bit of inspiration.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

I'm working on "The Old Man" right now. About 2 years ago, I found a small tree that was growing beside the fence and couldn't leave it there, so I'm putting it to good use. The root bent in just the right way to spark an image and it will be the head of a cane when I'm done. "When I'm done" being the key. Lol. He and I have been battling for months. Hard Maple is TOUGH after it's been left drying for a couple years.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

OMGEE your work is amazing. Wow just wow. You could sell your work in a gallery! Amazing!

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Thank you all very much for stopping by to see my doodling!

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This is great!

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I will send you my address if you'll send me a piece of your non-art artwork! 😍 Plus shipping!!

How could you even begin to think what you do is not artwork?! It's absolutely BEAUTIFUL! The feel you have for what you do is priceless. Not every artist possesses it...it's born deep down and given to a soul as a very precious gift...few and far between. It's a wonderful thing that you've heeded its call. If either, or even both, of your children show an interest in learning to imbue an inanimate piece of wood with a life of it's own PLEASE take that as a call to pass your talent on. I see life in odd pieces of wood too, but couldn't even begin to coax it out.

Please post more of your work! I know everyone would love to see more of your inspirations. You should perhaps think about writing...I think you have a real knack for words as well.

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Nice work mate!

Some people I know do much the same beautiful work.

One suggestion to try if you wish to...

Dremel or similar devices are very good for the fine detail work and can often do things that the blades cannot easily do. Perhaps try you-tube for how others use them. Always handy to have another tool in the tool box.

P

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   
WOW!!!!!!!! You could be making good money selling those pieces! They're amazing!

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
DAVID64

Truly beautiful and amazing art work..Let me know when you get done with that cane.. if you are interested in selling it..I know someone who I would surely love to give such a beautiful piece of work to..and that needs it.

So lovely these are..thank you for sharing them..

Thank,
blend57

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
You must be very patient and passionated while doing this. I´m currently looking at my carved elephant from Kenia but it´s "just bought", not made by me. Have you tried stunts like carving a chain?

Keep up with the pictures

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I don't know if it's art, but I like it!
Nice work! Carving's one of those things I could never do. I had a friend who whittled stuff. Did chains and boxes with a ball that couldn't come out, along with critters and what he called " wood spirits", which were simply faces that were already in the wood that he embellished. Very cool.

Like your stuff. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

top topics

join