It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Random aviation photos

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Are there advantages to a tail mounted engine such as that?

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBadCabbie

They can put the wings farther back, which allows for better aerodynamics. But the fuel efficiency is worse than a 4 engine aircraft.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Was at Moffett taking pictures of the Super Guppy and was treated to a C-17 landing, and caught it on video taking off. It was a quick hop for the globemaster. It spent about 5 minutes on the ramp, opened its rear, and then took off.

edit on 10/24/16 by FredT because: (no reason given)

The camera work is a bit shoddy because Im busy looking at the plane and not the iphone LOL
edit on 10/24/16 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: FredT
Could you tell where the Globmaster was from?

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman
Could you tell where the Globmaster was from?

No, California C-17's (at least Travis AFB) usually have a white stripe on the tail. This one had yellow so I'm not sure were they are from. I do have several hi res still I took from the NIKON while it was in the air (after the video ends) but the distance and angle were not favorable to see unit markings

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I'll have to double check while we're in the hotel this weekend, but that sounds like Charleston.
edit on 10/26/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Charleston, March and Hickam have yellow stripes.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

My money is on Charleston. They were the first unit stood up, and are probably the most commonly seen ones with a yellow bar.

Fred, did you see any blue on the yellow, or was it solid yellow?

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I pulled one of the NIKON shots. As I was biking around I noticed they did not park at the usual location on their AC lights were still flashing. so I shot a few pics since the ramp seemed down. Caught personnel loading. I zoomed in as far as I could and cut out that section. It could be March as they go from a red to yellow on the tail. Hard to make out red but it does seem darker

edit on 10/26/16 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

March. Interestingly they're part of AETC not AMC.
edit on 10/26/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Awesome video!!!

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Some great pics here. Makes me want to get my camera back out

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Sorry about the poor quality, would have thought Iphone6 was better but it was at full zoom:

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Where's that at?

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

RAAF Williamtown, Newcastle NSW. 4 x Wedgetail, 1 x C17 (I couldnt get the markings at all in the shadow it was very bright) and 3 or 4 hawk LIFs taxied out. The first one is visible, there is one amongst the Wedgetails moving and a third came out just before we moved off and there could have been a fourth, but I was on the opposite side of the Boeing so as it turned left onto the Runway I could only see the Commercial Hub.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I saw the Wedgetails so I figured it was probably an RAAF base, but wasn't sure. I knew the C-17 wasn't one of ours, because it didn't have visible markings. Wasn't sure on the Hawk. I'm not used to seeing those.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I saw the Wedgetails so I figured it was probably an RAAF base, but wasn't sure.

Not always at an RAAF base LOL a few years ago (2009) we were at the SMOF looking at all the planes parked on the ramp at King County. A guy on the other side walks up and says wait a minute and you will get to see something pretty cool. So we hung out and sure enough the Wedgetail comes taxing by. The pilot waved at my son who at 6 years of age thought that that was the coolest thing ever.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Yeah, I've seen them at Boeing, but every time I've seen them it's two, maybe three, not that many lined up like that.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Yeah, I've seen them at Boeing, but every time I've seen them it's two, maybe three, not that many lined up like that.

It does make you wonder, if they were in maintenance not likely lined up but back in the US? Its also pretty bloody hot so a GPU and aircon must be running if they are outdoors. Wedgetail was a large BAE Systems project but was mainly rolling off when I started so I have no idea about the project except it was overdue, overcost.....etc. Lessons learned.

We have reserves regularly flying the P-3 Orion so assume some similar rotation through these.

But considering your observation, is it possible we have 4 operational Wedgetails without a job other than training anywhere in the world? Is this usual for such an airframe, would the Aussies have any deployed in Iraq and if so, how can we still have 4 sat on the tarmac?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join