It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Random aviation photos

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Passed through Edwards yesterday and again this morning. Big day today. Yesterday, I got more pretty pictures of the 787-10, and a surprise F-22 that I missed out on at least a couple pictures because when I saw it, I just stood there, then remembered I had a camera.

Today though, I got a big one. Sierra Nevada had the Dream Chaser up doing a captive carry test, hanging under a CH-47. The first pass they got pretty close, but I got pretty good pics of three passes before they stayed too far away.

I'll upload them when I can.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   
The net connection here isn't great, so I'll upload these for now, and more later.

edit on 8/31/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Sick pics as always Zaph! 🤘

Interesting that they're playing with the dream chaser!

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
More from yesterday, and some from today (it was a REALLY good picture week this week).

From today:

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Every time I drive by Sikorsky on 15 on the way back home, I damn near drive off the bridge from scouring the tarmac for anything resembling their entry.

I really like the look of the V-280 though. Let's hope the Sikorsky bird is just as good looking.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

There was a side on shot of the Valor on The Aviationist today. It's really weird looking.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

As a child of the 80s, I can't get enough of its James Cameron aesthetic.

The Bonanza tail is odd, though. At least if it has the same teething problems that the Osprey had, we can call it the "Forked-tailed operator killer".

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

The engine rotation method makes me nervous. I'm sure they modeled the hell out of it, and they're a hell of a lot smarter than me, but I can see several failure points with that design.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Yeah, I'd love to see the rationale behind that route, and whether it was actually the simpler way to go, or whether it was a means of getting around the fact that rotating engine nacelles like the V-22's on a side-loading aircraft like the Valor run the risk of cooking the exiting soldiers in jetwash when pointed downwards. If that was the reason behind it, I wonder why they didn't instead choose to go with helicopter-style centrally mounted engines over the fuselage driving the rotors via a central gearbox and driveshafts in the stub wings. I understand why they didn't go that route for the Osprey, but the Valor is a small enough design that it actually could work.

Now, all we have to do is wait for Sikorsky to pull the curtains back on their "Dymaxion a-la Kamov" design. Either way, it's going to be a weird future for small vertical lift in the US armed forces...

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

It looked like they pulled her down from the test stand last night or early this morning. She was lifted off the ground on the stand, so I assume they did gear swing tests too while up there. They should start taxi tests next week.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

They are on 84 in Connecticut?

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

What are they moving in the first few pictures? Any idea? Great pictures!

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Dream Chaser. It was a captive carry test at Edwards. They made some design changes after the 2013 mishap and are doing recertification work before their drop test in October.

edit on 9/2/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Interesting. It seems it´s related to this

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

That was the test in the pictures. They did a drop test in 2013, and the left main failed to deploy, resulting in it rolling over on landing. They're doing recertification work after redesigning some of the systems.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I took a trip to Hawarden in North Wales yesterday to see one of the most remarkable sights in Aviation' the bizarre A300-600ST. Better known as the Beluga. Here's one of the shots. Please click on my Flickr below for more, if you can stand to, lol.

edit on 5-9-2017 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: waynos

There are two B-1s that were just joined by a B-52 at Fairford. The exercise runs until the 9th, then one B-1 and the B-52 head to he Czech Republic for a NATO open house that starts the 12th.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Balls why does it always happen just before my time off work.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

Your schedule gets transmitted to the Pentagon so they can schedule movements.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I think you might be right! You guarantee if I was there watching for two weeks it would be a washing machine with wings taking off and then when I set off home all the big boys come out to play! Pffft

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join