It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Few Open Thoughts on Free Speech

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I don't know how many of you are seeing the beating +sarc The Free Press /sarc has been taking across the Internet It's taking place all over the globe, but I'm just gonna talk about America. Please feel free to tell us what it's like in your neck of the woods. I'll be silent, as I am no authority on where you might live.

Have a look at this: I Am A Patriot And You Are A Traitor! The video there shows some older fella giving the press a piece of his mind ... but, I want you to look deeper. Notice that the press had barricaded themselves off from "The People" way before showtime.

I'll let that sink in.

So why does this guy become 'the story' all of a sudden? Why are the villains allowed to vilify this man? I'll tell ya. They can jade 'the story' anyway they like when they're 'the first word' on a subject and when they control most of the cameras and microphones.

In America, if you lie to a cop ... you've broken the law. That's one I happen to agree with, because you certainly have the right to remain silent. I know ... it really sucks to be accused of something you didn't do. I know you want to immediately state your innocence. But, what if you're guilty? Lying isn't gonna make your situation any better ... so just keep your mouth shut.

Such a law should be in place to control CORPORATE media. Why do they have carte blanche when it comes to lying? Time to remind you of this little gem. That's Hulk -vs- Gawker. Uh huh. If you're not really MSM, and you print something that's not really true, the court will bankrupt you. So, why is MSM given a pass?

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is why, Snarl.

The thread should have been top of the page, but no one cares enough.
The Kool-Aid is better.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

"Opinion" has replaced "fact" as the standard.

There is no ethical foundation or reference any longer. You could report that 2+2 = 4 on Monday and then say that 2+2=5 on Tuesday and no one will call you out on it.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

See Smith-Mundt.

State sponsored media is legal. Intentionally misleading the public is legal.

In America, if you lie to a cop ... you've broken the law. 

What law is that?

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

It is perfectly legal to lie to a police officer, except when they ask you to identify yourself.

No, there should not be any law in place to control speech. That goes against the constitution.
edit on 13-8-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-8-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I understand that lying can be seen as obstruction or being an accessory in certain circumstances. But lying to a cop is not itself a crime.

I guess I was confused by your wording.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
It's funny you made this thread. I just heard a clip from Ron Paul on the radio and remember back to when Rachel Maddow of msnbc told millions of people watching the debate that " Ron Paul wasn't a real president candidate and was just there for a political stunt" I thought how is that legal? The lady just told millions of idiots that the guy isn't really a presidential candidate and to not vote for him.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

So why does this guy become 'the story' all of a sudden? Why are the villains allowed to vilify this man?

Because he was angry.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

Rachel Maddow of msnbc told millions of people watching the debate that " Ron Paul wasn't a real president candidate and was just there for a political stunt" I thought how is that legal? The lady just told millions of idiots that the guy isn't really a presidential candidate and to not vote for him.

As I type this, there are MSM news bites saying the same thing about Donald Trump.
He's not "really" a serious candidate. Don't vote for him. In their deluded perspective, it's somehow not "real".
Despite the fact that he actually has the GOP nomination.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: avgguy
Rachel Maddow ... jeez, what a shill

Then there's these two. Got away with it for quite some time ... and MSM would have let it go, if their stories weren't debunked. How much mileage did they get out of their tall tales though ... because they got the first word in?

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Free speech for the public yes. Journalists should be held to
the standards in journalism, but these days they are
The Ministry of Propaganda.

They lie, scheme, and plot to overthrow the peoples
speech with talking heads and soundbites, censorship
and even editing out the truth.

They are dangerous these days, one step behind the
corrupt politicians they are preaching for.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

They don't have the right to lie. There are laws against libel and slander and they were created first and foremost as a check on the press. The press can say whatever they want, but if they're reporting on facts, those facts need to be true.

I think your problem mainly stems from the press no longer reporting facts. They report opinion, all of them, and opinions don't need to be rooted in facts.

top topics

join