It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KC-46 Milestone C reached

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The KC-46 received Milestone C approval sooner than expected. It was announced last week that there was going to be a meeting later in August, at which time the decision would be made to approve Milestone C. However, the decision was announced today that the program had been approved for the decision today. This allows for Low Rate Initial Production of the first two lots of 19 aircraft. The contract will be awarded in the next 30 days.

LRIP 1 and 2 will produce 19 aircraft, as well as spare parts and will cost $2.8B in a fixed price contract. The current contract calls for 18 aircraft to be delivered by 2018.

WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- The KC-46A Pegasus program received Milestone C approval from Frank Kendall, the under secretary of defense for acquisition, technology and logistics, signaling the aircraft is ready to enter into production.

Work is now underway to award the first two low rate initial production lots within the next 30 days.

"I commend the team for diligently working through some difficult technical challenges," said Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James. "The KC-46 program has made significant strides in moving the Air Force toward the modernization needed in our strategic tanker fleet."

Securing approval to begin low rate initial production required completion of several aerial refueling demonstrations, to include refueling an F-16 Fighting Falcon, C-17 Globemaster III and A-10 Thunderbolt II off the boom, and an AV-8 Harriar II and F/A-18 Hornet off both hose and drogue systems. The KC-46 also proved its receiver capability by taking fuel from a KC-10 Extender.

www.af.mil...

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
NKAWTGN!

I have some pics saved showing the wing tips flipped up and others not, will the production model have those winglets?

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

No, they're going with the straight tip. The winglets alter the airflow around the end of the wing, which affects the WARP hoses.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
In the pictures I saw, it was shown refueling 2 aircraft simultaneously. But the specifications show 2 pilots, 1 boom operator. I would have thought 2 boom operators...

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

The WARP pods are used to refuel simultaneous aircraft. They only require a single operator to deploy them and the activate the fuel transfer. They're simple hoses with drogues on the end of them, and require the receiver to plug into them, instead of being steered into the aircraft.

edit on 8/13/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I don't understand 90% of your threads but am so freaking entertained by them...

Thanks from an aircraft forums lurker

-Christosterone

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

You know you can ask about what you don't understand.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

It would be like a caveman asking Werner Von Braun to explain the rocket....each question would lead to 50 more and eventually into a rabbit hole....haha

I love reading your posts but recognize my skills(or lack thereof)...

Keep up the awesome posts and know there are people enjoying the heck out of every one of your threads despite rarely commenting....

-Christosterone

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   
LRIP 1 and 2 have been awarded, for a total of $2.8B. LRIP 1 includes seven aircraft, two spare engines, and five wing refueling pod kits. LRIP 2 includes 12 aircraft, two spare engines, and five wing refueling pod kits.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Random question: are any tankers capable of delivering cryogenic fuels? My suspicion is not.
edit on 19-8-2016 by wirehead because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: wirehead

The T model -135 was the only one capable of carrying alternate fuels. They're the former Q models that refueled the SR-71 and can lock out certain tanks. I THINK the KC-10 can do the same but I didn't deal with them much.

I've heard rumors of alternate fuels beyond JP7, but I've never confirmed anything for sure.

top topics

join