It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Man's Sky Quandary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
For those of you who have not heard of the game, No Man's Sky is a recently released video game on ps4 and PC where the objective of the game is to get to the center of the galaxy you start in (mine being the Euclid galaxy for ps4).

There are numeorus galaxies, each with billions of planets orbiting their stars. There are black holes. There is resource mining. Pirates attack your ship in space. This game literally had by far the largest game space and you can traverse the most distance at the greatest speeds of any previous game by quite a margin.

Now, for those of you playing, some of you have taken the path of the Atlas. Others have not. Here is what i have found thusfar.

SPOILERS*******

SPOILERS *****

SPOILERS *****

I followed the path of the atlas, but after completing 10 atlas interface encounters i was told thst my journey was complete...

The atlas then offered to allow me to create a new star (galaxy?) for 10 atlas stones. I said no as i did not have 10 stones, but i have heard that it spawns you on a new planet just like the beginning of the game, perhaps in a different galaxy?

Many sites and articles are stating they found the center upon this final atlas encounter...however...

I noticed that my distance to the center started at 188,000 light years, but, the final atlas interface was located at 176,000 ly from the center. By this, that would indicate that this final encounter with the Atlas is NOT the center. In fact, it almost seems like a trick to throw the player off the trail to the center.

As of now i have about 100 hours played. Ive got 33 slots in my exo suit, 28 slot ship, warp drive upgrade tau, and a seriously insane multitool. I have completed about 52 warp jumps and 8 black hole jumps which damage ship components and is brought about by a Korvax and Gek on a space anomaly station.

Now, according to my current system, i am now 166,000 ly from the center. This means ive gone about 22,000 ly in 100 hours. At a slightly increasing rate of travel, i estimate that it will take close to 400-600 in game hours to get to the "center" if this measure of distance is accurate.

Also, the guys on the space anomaly do say at times that they think the atlas may be deceiving!
edit on 12-8-2016 by OneGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: OneGoal

Does it suck? Can a casual gamer play this without throwing the game out the window?

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Its kind of a combination of minecraft, star fox, portal, and typical rpg elements.

The crafting system and inventory system take a bit of getting used to, but yea, if you like the above games youd like this.

Its also pretty killer getting to fly off a planet and launch into space, fly to another planet at lightning speeds. No other game is like it in scope especially considering there are no load times.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Center? you get to the center of the galaxy..from there, you have to make your way to the center of the universe from what I understand..

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

According to the game info, i started in the Euclid galaxy.

There is a line that if selected, guides you towards the center of that galaxy as youve mentioned.

Pc players started in a different galaxy than ps4, so we have confirmed there are numerous galaxies. I dont know if there is truly a center of the NMS universe, but we will have more info in the coming weeks.

Just think its kinda funny that these web sites are jumping on conclusions about the end game.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Apparently the most recent update made galaxies up to 10 times larger so it probably will take several hundred hours to reach the center of one. The reason I think they did that is because some people who got early access to the game came out with reviews of the game and one of the negative points made was how quickly they could reach the center of a galaxy, that it just didn't feel large enough. I think several hundred hours is a reasonable time, it could probably be done in much less time by taking all the right actions.

My main issues with the game so far are graphical and networking problems. When I played the game a few hours ago the server seemed to be down so I couldn't access any online features. I downloaded the game almost immediately after it was available on Steam so there was probably a crap load of people playing and it overloaded the servers, it may be better now. On the graphical side, I could swear I have vsync enabled but I'm still clearly getting screen tearing artifacts and I'm experiencing constant micro-stutters.
edit on 12/8/2016 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
Apparently the most recent update made galaxies up to 10 times larger so it probably will take several hundred hours to reach the center of one. The reason I think they did that is because some people who got early access to the game came out with reviews of the game and one of the negative points made was how quickly they could reach the center of a galaxy, that it just didn't feel large enough. I think several hundred hours is a reasonable time, it could probably be done in much less time by taking all the right actions.

My main issues with the game so far are graphical and networking problems. When I played the game a few hours ago the server seemed to be down so I couldn't access any online features. I downloaded the game almost immediately after it was available on Steam so there was probably a crap load of people playing and it overloaded the servers, it may be better now. On the graphical side, I could swear I have vsync enabled but I'm still clearly getting screen tearing artifacts and I'm experiencing constant micro-stutters.

Turn V-Sync off and set max frames higher. It is set at 30 by default. Pc version anyway. Apparently people are really pissed as it is buggy as hell but so far it is running pretty well on my machine, and I have a low end computer. A G3258 stock, not OC'd yet and a GTX 750 ti.

I just got off the starting planet and landed on a new one.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
the game is endless and creates new galaxies continuously all open to the constantly growing universe. ever expanding

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Anyone else come across the 100% species discovery bug?

I uploaded the 100% bonus list on my first planet, then all other discovered Planets in that system showed 100%, even though I still had "????????" on those lists.
After clearing all "???????" on another planet the 100% bonus button doesn't work, cheating me out of the bonuses for all other planets in the system.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

To paraphrase Homer Simpson 'this was a good idea in theory.'

Kudos to the developers for their efforts however this seems like a game that would best be suited on a mobile platform-A neat idea that could've been the next Pokemon GO but it seems it has bit off more than it can chew.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I don't know. I still think I'm getting this on Monday.

I don't care as much about graphics so long as it runs. I've been watching some livestreams of the PS4 version, and I'm obsessed with finding and naming things. Always have been.

I think if they can get past the rough bumps in the outset, they have a potentially very good base to build on and create something very fine. But in the meantime, I want to go all John Crichton or Buck Rodgers on it and start putting my own stamp on the whole thing.

The massive sandbox is where I want to play.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Having vync on or off doesn't really seem to make a difference. I opted into the experimental version of the game hoping that would fix some issues but didn't seem to fix anything. What really helped the stutter issue for me was going into my Radeon Settings and disabling the Shader Cache option for No Mans Sky. I also disabled the Steam overlay because the game would flicker any time a Steam notification popped up. After doing those two things I noticed that the loading screen would no longer stutter and the game seemed to play much more smoothly. Another thing that has helped many people, but didn't seem to help me, is to disable the gsync option by using a text editor to directly modify the graphics settings file.

Another thing to try is the borderless window mode, again it doesn't do much for me but it has helped others. Anyway the stutter issue is now mostly solved for me but I still want to deal with this vsync issue because it just looks so damn bad. I've tried pretty much everything, even forcing vsync from withing Radeon Settings, but it still had screen tearing and the fps was not locking to my monitor refresh rate. I read that enabling OpenGL Triple Buffering may help the situation but it didn't do crap for me. The game just does not want to display frames at the dictated speed and I find it very annoying. It should be a rather simple problem to fix so I'm sure there will be a fix for it soon enough.
edit on 14/8/2016 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
What would be awesome is if they allowed a player to do a minecraft like survival/build scenario on a planet in one of these galaxies... ramp up to eve in scope and get starships space stations etc... imagine when real VR hits...

Yeah, good thing I'm more concerned with things of a metaphysical nature and not so much vidya games anymore... lol.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Interesting.. i thought there was no real center. You just end up jumping to another galaxy once you get close to the center.

Id love to play more but I personally feel like the resource / semi-survival aspect takes away from the exploration too much. It feels too grindy for me.

The only thing to really do in the game is explore and that would be awesome if it didnt feel like im constantly working just so i could go somewhere. Try getting a friend to play the game and tell them they have to gather resources and craft every single minute in order to explore..

Hopefully the developers add in all the feautures they said were in the game at various interviews.

I wish i had not bought into the incredible hype and pre ordered the game before i knew exactly what the game was like.

top topics

join