It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Day of the Lord?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

"Day of the Lord" is used for two purposes, one is the day the Lord returns and judges the nations and it's also used for the entire Earthly kingdom of the Lord.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical
Indeed. I was focussing on the first (which is the final and more complete version of the various intermediate "days" mentioned in the Old Testament). However, the first meaning leads into the long-term reign of God.
Either way, it's about God's will prevailing, which I think is the heart of the concept.

edit on 13-8-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

My ex-fiancé had a habit of not taking responsibility for things,......

Correct me if I am incorrect about what you are saying of your example.You analogy is someone asking you to perform a task you cannot understand and then when you attempt to do so they blame you for doing it wrong.

If that is what you mean that is definitely not what I have been stating at all.I am not proclaiming a methodology to “know” God in my post I am denying the ignorance of those(the majority being Christians) that believe(trust) in a God through their faith in the book the bible because of their Belief System religion.

That is a very pertinent point in relationship to this post.As I’ve stated numerous times in my ATS post Yahoshua clearly stated the purpose of the scriptures is to be a testimony(witness) that testifies of Yahoshua(the creator God is deliverance/salvation) because that is his name(nature and character).

Consequentially the religious(again mostly Christians) perceive that as if Yahoshua IS the creator God(with a convoluted theory of a trinity) and interpret things said of him(John 1:1) and by him(parable of the seed) etc etc… that the bible is the WORD of the creator God therefore they believe all the things written in it are the authority of the creator God..However that is not what Yahoshua testified at all.

His proclamation statements are clearly stating the very opposite(the Good news) and are denying the ignorance of those(the religious) that believe so.Again Yahoshua is not condemning them.He knew exactly what and why they are doing(Lord, Lord didn’t we…) what they do.That is why the scriptures were written!! …to testify.

However they(the scriptures) are not the way and the truth, Yahoshua(the deliverance of the creator God) is,He stated this yet many ways yet many cannot perceive it.They twist it into their religious belief and create the doctrines of men just as Yahoshua said they did (Judaism) and would(Christianity).

Because of this blindness perception those that believe (trust) in their religion cannot be freed from the bondage( have forgiveness) of their religion in this age (the physical realm) nor in the next(Hades… the realm of death).However the 2nd death will free them from the bondage of their religion so they can be resurrected to Life(Spirit)…and of course the closet this can come is a human metaphor.It is impossible to know how this works.

However Yahoshua testified the Good news that this new Life WILL happen.He even went through the process as a witness to testify of it’s truth.Obviously he did not need to be cleansed of his religious belief (because he had none) because he “knew” the creator God.In effect he was already entered through the kingdom of his heavens into the Kingdom of the creator God the basis of his most prominent proclamations.

And that is the other salient point of the majority of the gospel narrative.When he says things like Matthew 5-7 or John 13-17(and many more) he was speaking exclusively to the disciple.The mist prominent being the preamble to the explanation of the parable of the seed.

He clearly stated that the disciples were the ONLY ones that were “given” to know(not believe) the kingdom of their heavens.The culmination is in John 17 where is says essentially the same thing but now they actually understand what he is saying but still have not entered in because it was a process they were about to experience that literally changed the whole world.

Once again what was written is only a testimony that testifies of Yahoshua.It is NOT a methodology of any kind(especially religion) to be followed to “know”(commune) with the creator God…and that is the conundrum.The religious cannot perceive the way and the truth they have made their own way and truth up!They follow the tenants of their religion by performing religious ritual and or studying scriptures(books).

The bottom line you may be addressing is the creator God reveals themselves to whom they will, when they will and how they will.A person has no part in the revealing(giving) except receiving. When a person hears the creator God they are dieing(Yahoshua called it being crucified) to their religion completely unaware of the process because it is happening TO them not by them.

That is why I’ve stated many times some atheist are hearing the truth much more than a relgion-religious because they do not(and cannot) believe in a false God of religion-religion.Of course they are not aware if the process at all which is good because it is the proof that is communing with the creator God and not believing in the God of religion.

So in essence there are some that are experiencing the dawning of the day of the Lord right now.The religious believe they are through their belief through faith of their religion however that is the abundant evidence they are not.May be that is the experience you are having.

Communing with the creator God in the dawning of the day is a state of mind free of belief in a God.It is mostly experiencing life as if nothing special is happening.There are no bright lights and false emotional spiritual epiphanies it is just normal with all of the tribulations of the world thrown in.

That’s because this life is only a very, very short conception life.It will end very soon.What happens next is unknowable however the Good news is it is Life.My suggestion is to live, love and laugh as much as possible and keep the worry and fear at bay when possible.The new day is just dawning.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Because in this case we are talking about God and not regular people.

God has told us how to treat each other, but here you are verbally beating someone who has written this thread for the edification of others. No one has forced this thread on you and yet here you come with your verbal aggression to beat on the people who read it and tell us how stupid we are in our beliefs.

Perhaps you ought to try the very thing you instruct?

You could simply not enter this thread as you suggest as it clearly "turns you off," but no, you have to come in it and be passive aggressive about it because you cannot tolerate the thought of believers while you have none of your own.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
IMO, the Great and Terrible Day of the Lord is something no one, believer or unbeliever, ever wants to see on this earth. Sure, if you are a believer then you are saved through Grace and will not suffer death in the permanent sense, but until that time comes, none of us on earth can truly know for sure if our names are written in the book. We can only hope and have a suspicion or make an educated guess.

There are no sureties or at least there is surety for very few of us, if any, at this time. Certainly, those who will tell you they can't wait because they want to watch the unbelievers suffer don't know for sure anymore than anyone else. Those words and desires alone betray them.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Rex282

You analogy is someone asking you to perform a task you cannot understand and then when you attempt to do so they blame you for doing it wrong.

If that is what you mean that is definitely not what I have been stating at all.

I did not intend it to be taken as the same motive operating. I'm not implying that you're foisting blame. The story was to give meaning to hand out with nothing visible or tangible in it. That mental picture.

The concept of "Creator" is empty for me. I don't believe there is a creator in either theist or deist(great architect) understanding. Therefore all that is claimed as coming from such is also empty of meaning to me. That's pretty much what I meant.

The Bob Marley song: He could have been directing it to the Babylon of Rastafarian teaching (decadent society including Christianity) or to the Rastafarians since he got baptized as a Christian or to Pagans with their Sun and Moon and Rain and Stars.

But the person saying "To deny me for simplicity" implies someone like a creator with a claim, and simplicity could be something like heathen.

That's why I thought the song fit this thread. A creator talking to people, sort of the premise of the whole series of threads.

But then maybe I just don't understand the song at all. Google didn't give me any link to an explanation.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I did not intend it to be taken as the same motive operating. I'm not implying that you're foisting blame. The story was to give meaning to hand out with nothing visible or tangible in it. That mental picture.

The concept of "Creator" is empty for me. I don't believe there is a creator in either theist or deist(great architect) understanding. Therefore all that is claimed as coming from such is also empty of meaning to me. That's pretty much what I meant.

The Bob Marley song: He could have been directing it to the Babylon of Rastafarian teaching (decadent society including Christianity) or to the Rastafarians since he got baptized as a Christian or to Pagans with their Sun and Moon and Rain and Stars. But the person saying "To deny me for simplicity" implies someone like a creator with a claim, and simplicity could be something like heathen.That's why I thought the song fit this thread. A creator talking to people, sort of the premise of the whole series of threads.But then maybe I just don't understand the song at all. Google didn't give me any link to an explanation.

I’m a song writer(not a singer).I know from experience I don’t always know what my lyrics mean I just know what I think when I write them and discover what they mean later(sometimes).Not to show off however here is one of my songs.I’ve had people tell me their interpretation of what it means.Many times (always) it wasn’t what I think they mean.

soundclick.com...

THE RIVERS EDGE

Take my hand before I drown
Pull me out and lay me down
Don't leave me here for dead
Rescue me from the rivers edge

Hold me lowered in your stream
Make me whole and wash me clean
Dry my tears anoint my head
Carry me to the rivers edge

When it's time to shed my skin
Walk with you without sin
Lift me up to my bed
I made my peace with the rivers edge

On that note(literally) my point was.....there is no good reason to try and know a creator God.If there is a creator God any of a persons efforts to know will be in vain they can only believe (religion) in a false idol God.

However if the creator God wants you to know(commune) with them you WILL whether you know it (or want to) or not.The bottom line is ,it is impossible to “know” this communion by belief through faith of religion.

From my experience you inability to believe in a creator God is the dawning of the new day and you are at the rivers edge.Enjoy your trip.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Ezekiel 21:1-4

The Drawn Sword of God

The word of the Lord came to me: Mortal, set your face toward Jerusalem and preach against the sanctuaries; prophecy against the land of Israel and say to the land of Israel, Thus says the Lord: I am coming against you, and will draw my sword out of its sheath, and will cut off from you both righteous and wicked .

An ominous prophecy, when God uses sword metaphors it doesn't end well. Thank God that prophecy passed like almost every OT prophecy. The only open prophecies are the book of Revelation IF you haven't figured out most if not all of It's colorfully described prophecies have happened or if happen can't be prophecies as they will be engineered with the exception of the hallucinatory imaged of John that are not meant to be taken positively literal.

We all gonna die like everyone before and after us as the Bible calls the world eternal, created eternally.
edit on 13-8-2016 by benZadok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

You must have shared that song once before, I remember seeing it. If I remember correctly my interpretation had to do with change of viewpoint concerning the river's edge (which doesn't change)

Carry me (back) to the rivers edge

ETA

And there's a savior that the person is addressing throughout.

edit on 13-8-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
This is the way to eminence. Behold! There awaits the Righteous a beautiful and excellent resort;
Gardens of eternity with their gates thrown open to receive them.
There will be comfort and rest and the finest of fruits and drinks at pleasure.
And they will have by their side chaste mates of equal age.
Such is the promise to you for the Day of Reckoning.

Surah 38
Saad 47-53

BTW Muslim Heaven sounds just fine!!!
edit on 13-8-2016 by benZadok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

You must have shared that song once before, I remember seeing it. If I remember correctly my interpretation had to do with change of viewpoint concerning the river's edge (which doesn't change)

Carry me (back) to the rivers edge

ETA

And there's a savior that the person is addressing throughout.

This is the 1st time I’ve posted my music on ATS.

My concept of the rivers edge was baptism though not the vain ritual of religious baptism.This baptism in the river is a conception that leads to death and is born into Life.The river is ALL of life.The life were are living now is before the waterfall of the rivers edge.

The 1st verse was the fear of what I believed was the rivers edge (death) and being saved by religion .The 2nd verse is where I knew I could not be saved by religion.The 3rd verse was accepting I must be baptized into the rivers edge(whether I wanted to or not) to be born into Life.

Of course this is just a song and these are just me expressing my thoughts of life in general.That is the purpose of art.To glimpse a glimmer of light beyond the dim view we have in the shadow lands we live in.It doesn’t matter if anyone understands it.. I do(as much as I am able) and that’s why I wrote it.

I have no idea why Bob wrote his song nor what it means.Personally to me it reads like religious rhetoric(he’s paraphrasing scripture in places) not art.Not that all of Bobs songs are like that.Some actually may have a true meaning that is not Bobs rhetoric and are beyond Bob.To me that is true art.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Lol. You totally missed the point of that post in your hurry to adopt your standard Christian persecution complex you always get when you talk to me about religion. If you'll notice, I asked a bunch of questions there. Me questioning your faith isn't insulting you or "verbally abusing" someone. Sheesh. Grow some thicker skin.
edit on 15-8-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Isaiah 2:12 For the day of the LORD of hosts shall be upon every one that is proud and lofty, and upon every one that is lifted up; and he shall be brought low:

If you think this was in the past think again and read the context and compare scripture with scripture.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn
On the contrary, I offered it as the basic definition of every version of "the day of the Lord", including the final version.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Yeah it represents two distinct times one in the past and one in the future.

There is a lot towards the end of the chapter that has yet to take place and in the next chapter too.

edit on 16-8-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Yeah it represents two distinct times one in the past and one in the future.

There is a lot towards the end of the chapter that has yet to take place and in the next chapter too.

The scroll of Isaiah is not arranged chronologically, as in when written. Neither is it arranged as a prophetic time-line. It is arranged thematically. Individual undated oracles were placed together because of common words in many instances.

Chapter 2 ends with the basic message, "22Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of?" The basic message is that man is not the end all be all of existence, not the top nor the foundation of existence. Humanism is being challenged.

I find it interesting that the "solution" to the problem of human megalomania is presented in two ways in the chapter:

1) "10Enter into the rock, and hide thee in the dust, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty." This is before the mention of a day. No need to wait. Humility as an aspect of approach to life need not come catastrophically.

Humility is the quality of being humble. In a religious context this can mean a recognition of self in relation to God or deities, acceptance of one's defects, and submission to divine grace as a member of a religion. Outside of a religious context, humility is defined as the self-restraint from excessive vanity, and can possess moral and/or ethical dimensions.

HumilityHumility, in various interpretations, is widely seen as a virtue in many religious and philosophical traditions, often in contrast to narcissism, hubris and other forms of pride.

Or

2) Don't enter in to the rocks and dust (humble yourself) and the day comes when catastrophe catches people in a way that no human idol (technological mechanism imbued with human hubris) sends people fleeing to their bomb shelters and survivalist camps all in vain.

Of the two, I prefer 1).

The Christian version of 1) would be something similar to Hebrews 4:

1Let us fear therefore, lest perhaps anyone of you should seem to have come short of a promise of entering into his rest. 2For indeed we have had good news preached to us, even as they also did, but the word they heard didn't profit them, because it wasn't mixed with faith by those who heard.

3For we who have believed do enter into that rest, even as he has said, "As I swore in my wrath, they will not enter into my rest;" although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4For he has said this somewhere about the seventh day, "God rested on the seventh day from all his works;" 5and in this place again, "They will not enter into my rest." 6Seeing therefore it remains that some should enter therein, and they to whom the good news was before preached failed to enter in because of disobedience,

7he again defines a certain day, today, saying through David so long a time afterward (just as has been said), "Today if you will hear his voice, don't harden your hearts."

8For if Joshua had given them rest, he would not have spoken afterward of another day. 9There remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God. 10For he who has entered into his rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from his. 11Let us therefore give diligence to enter into that rest, lest anyone fall after the same example of disobedience.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena
Of course it is obviously not chronological for not all the events have taken place in the past.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Hyperbole may also be used for instances of such exaggerations for emphasis or effect. Hyperboles are often used in casual speech as intensifiers, such as saying "the bag weighed a ton". Hyperbole makes the point that the speaker found the bag to be extremely heavy, although it was nothing like a literal ton. Understanding hyperboles and their use in context can further one's ability to understand the messages being sent from the speaker... Hyperbole can be used in a form of humour, excitement, distress, and many other emotions, all depending on the context in which the speaker uses it.

If you and all your neighbors were farmers going out to harvest your year's crop and discovered that a swarm of locusts had beat you to the field, then to you and all your neighbors that would be the Day of the LORD. Very few of you and your neighbors would be alive come the next planting season. If your neighbor happened to be a prophet, he would exclaim, "This is the day of reckoning, the Day of the Lord. Our World as we know it is ending"

For you and your neighbors it definitely would be true. The prophecy fulfilled.

For those living 200 miles away, not at all. So how would they know if the prophecy were fulfilled or not?

It seems to some people that the insistence upon total global destruction to satisfy some local prophecy may be a bit much.

It has been written that Jesus said, "I'll only give you the sign of Jonah."

3:10God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way. God relented of the disaster which he said he would do to them, and he didn't do it.
4:1But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was angry. 2He prayed to Yahweh, and said, "Please, Yahweh, wasn't this what I said when I was still in my own country? Therefore I hurried to flee to Tarshish, for I knew that you are a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and abundant in loving kindness, and you relent of doing harm. 3Therefore now, Yahweh, take, I beg you, my life from me; for it is better for me to die than to live." 4Yahweh said, "Is it right for you to be angry?"

Is life more important or fulfilled prophecy?

edit on 16-8-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Though Isaiah may have used some Hyperbolic language it wasn't there in chapter two of his prophecy. You do not believe the word of God, let alone that God preserved it correctly. So you go to lengths to be god in his stead and project your opinion onto it.

Just believe what it says where it says it and use God's supernatural cross-reference system you will see it fits well with revelation.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Though Isaiah may have used some Hyperbolic language ...
You do not believe the word of God, let alone that God preserved it correctly. So you go to lengths to be god in his stead and project your opinion onto it.

3A voice is calling,
“Clear the way for the LORD in the wilderness;
Make smooth in the desert a highway for our God.

4“Let every valley be lifted up,
And every mountain and hill be made low;
And let the rough ground become a plain,
And the rugged terrain a broad valley;

5Then the glory of the LORD will be revealed,
And all flesh will see it together;
For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.”

6A voice says, “Call out.”
Then he answered, “What shall I call out?”
All flesh is grass, and all its loveliness is like the flower of the field.

7The grass withers, the flower fades,
When the breath of the LORD blows upon it;
Surely the people are grass.

8The grass withers, the flower fades,
But the word of our God stands forever.
NASB 1977, Isaiah 40

I am the grass, with all the loveliness of the flowering grass.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join