It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok, it's official. Soccer "football" is terrible

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: odzeandennz

Yeah, hockey suck to..lol

In playoffs the games do not end in a tie they keep going until someone scores. You must likenter basketball, watching a 7.5ft tall guy dunk on a 10 foot net wow that's real talent.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

Oh I don't hate the game as a whole. I've said that I can appreciate the skills involved and the game is filled with great athletes.

The problem I have is winning on penalty kicks. Change that rule and make them finish the game on the field.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Zerodoublehero

Not a big basketball fan. Baseball is prolly my favorite and also the hardest in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated
balls, or no brains.. I never understood the point in riding a wild animal for 8 seconds, or standing in a ring stabbing a bull until it dies...

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

To what though? Freekicks? Golden Goal? The team who scored first wins?.
Would love to hear good suggestions.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

First team that scores in overtime? At least they win playing the game.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I agree baseball is difficult, boring to watch unless you are at the park though.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Ya PK's suck and it stinks to watch the US lose to them but the rest of the game was very fun to watch.
It is part of the game tho, lots of fans don't care to see the game ended that way either but idk if the alternative could be to go more time, 120 min is a long time with only three breaks and four subs.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Thats golden goal it didn't work and to be frank it could be dangerous.
You see when the golden goal rule happened what happened was both teams had a fear of letting a goal in so bad that they went on to play ultra defensive it just didn't work.
www.fifa.com...=2004/m=3/news=footballing-world-cheers-end-golden-goal-90982.html

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I'll take your word for it. The game just has a serious flaw in my opinion.

Maybe start pulling defenders?
Widen the goal?

edit on 12-8-2016 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Nah it aint broke the fans like it better then any alternatives.
Each to their own carry on.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Fair enough, I'll stick to our not so round football.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Soccer is a fine sport. We here in the USA love it much more than we're given credit for. The boys and girls youth leagues are extremely popular all across the country.

In my experience, at the U.S. high school level, male athletes are encouraged to play American football over Soccer. You're basically considered a hero for your school if you play football, while soccer players are scorned for playing a "finesse" sport. I don't agree with this but it's just the way it is.

With all the concerns over concussions in American Football, I believe we'll see a rise in the participation and popularity of soccer in the U.S. Soccer has never been a mainstream pro sport here, mainly because it hasn't been promoted like our Big 3 sports. With a little push and promotion, I believe Soccer could become more mainstream here.

As for the overtime shootouts in soccer, I must say I'm not a fan of that. I think they ought to have sudden death overtime. Keep playing and first team to score wins. Sure, it could go on forever but that's the beauty of it, just like Baseball. Ties suck and so do gimmicky rules used to decide outcomes.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Tuomptonite

Football will get your bell rung. Youth soccer has a very high concussion rate to, not as high as football but still very high.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The womens team had a bad tournament,it happens.I just like every other fan am disappointed. The performance was lackluster, uninspired, and the lack of team synergy was glaring back at every hopeful fan like a ghostly spectre .

I knew Sweden was going to win the the shootout when I saw what each team was doing with there preparation time.

Sweden rallied around the goalkeeper trying to motivate her and being very supportive.the team as a collective was pumped.

Pan over to the us...

Team standing around drinking water not talking much..and hope solo, living up to half of her name, standing there solo obviously filled with anxiety and looking...well....hopeless....

This is a player I am a fan of, I stood up for her when the fans were shouting "Zika!"

And she tried to play some stall tactic mind games on her last save attempt... It was poor sportsmanship and disappointing to me , as a former competitive goalkeeper to witness that..

Good for the Swedish play having a positive attitude and finishing..

That's my rant on that...

On topic;

Check out indoor soccer (no out of bounds, walls around, and smaller field 5v5)

Lots goals exciting stuff, was my favorite to play as a keeper..lots of touches...

~meathead

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Games that end in draws, it's so slow.
I don't get the excitement of the sport, but it is fun to play

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I have been to many many sports events in my time, NBA,NHL,ATP Tennis UCI track cycling etc etc and hands down the best atmosphere by a country mile is Premier League Football.. I have enjoyed playing Madden over the years but that is as far as my like for the NFL goes..

"Quality" football (and I will call it football not soccer) has the top spot for me regarding Drama and excitement, just watch the situation that unfolded when Man City won the League the first time if you had written a script it would have been refused due to being to dramatic . Football does not need Gimmicks or Franchise mascots as what you see in other sports.

Ice Hockey can nearly match the Atmosphere of the Premier League but only in certain cities (Boston,Chicago), every single weekend football grounds around the country are packed with die hard supports not just in the Premier League either but also the lower tiers..

Any sport can be sh1t if it is low quality, I have witnessed the highest level of play live for most sports and I still stand by my statement. Pound for pound football has them beat you just need to be watching the right matches from the right leagues.

RA

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
shoot outs are the only part of soccer i really like to watch.

Gotta say though hockey is the best team sport. most fun to play anyway, and takes the most skill i think.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

I went to the fights and a hockey game broke out.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Personally I say we introduce high school rugby teams and be done with it!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join