It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Have Been Your Best Personal Discoveries?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
As kids we often went illegally into the opencast mine not far from our house, like about 10 minutes in the forest.
I found a lot of fossils there, trilobites and other stuff.

It was here

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
About 20 years ago, on an expedition in northern New Mexico we were looking around a midden heap north of the Chaco Canyon area. We found a lot of broken pot shards with grooves that had been placed in the wet clay before firing. My son picked up a bone tool with notches on the end that fit right in the grooves on the pots like a glove.
As amateur archeologist we realize the nature of the find so we left everything in situ, took photo's, made a map of the area and turned it over to the pro's. I wish I had copies of the pictures.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Well its not "ancient" but when I was a kid my folks bought this old farm house. There was a round placard (?) at the peak of the two story addition that said 1878. So the addition was put on in 1878. Thats Billy the kid times.

Opening up the walls in the kitchen we found a powder horn in the wall. Still had black powder in it and it still burns.

Also found a lot of letter written in the most beautiful handwriting. They were addressed to a Mr Shaull. Now my sister had some girl scout project and there was a name of a Mr. Shaull atty. at Law downtown. So he was contacted and came out to the farm. He was an old man. Turns out his grandfather built the original cabin there.

He told some good stories and the powder horn was there along with a rifle at one time above the door in case of Indian attacks.

Still have the powder horn....

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
My best find was a crashed '20-30's biplane on the side of a mountain.
A few years later somebody took it apart hiked it out and restored it to flying condition.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Oh, I forgot one!

It was probably in Arizona. I was lagging behind the rest of the group and sat down next to a little rise in what shade I could find. I looked behind me and dug out of the hill was a little shelf, with two very large pottery funeral jars tucked into it. They were both plain, no decoration, and about 2 foot high. There were either ashes or dust in them, hard to tell.

I still have the 'dust' but my son got the jars. I'd probably be arrested if I tried to sell them nowadays. All my collections were before there were laws against removing native artifacts out of the original spot; I hate to think of how many archeological sites I've plundered

edit on 12-8-2016 by SentientCentenarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

Amazing and unique story. Thank you for sharing your experience.
edit on 12-8-2016 by Imhotepic because: typo

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Something you might not realize what it is when you see it; I have several, an arrow straightening stone; I hope I did this link right:

www.google.com... jSkv678LzOAhUG6yYKHQJADJ4Q7AkIOA

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

A bit off topic, but my uncle was a WWI pilot; when he got out of the service, he saved up and bought a WWI Jenny biplane, war surplus in a crate. Actually several crates. I learned with him how to put it together at the ripe old age of 5 or so (I was born in 1915, my moniker is no joke, except maybe for the 'sentient' part); he started a flying service in Iowa. Man, those things were fun! After a few years went by, we got into a habit of buying crashed planes, fixing them up and selling them. They always flew and were just as good as new when we got done with them. Back then, the way you got your pilot's license was 'take it out and up, and if you don't crash it, you're a pilot!) Pilot joke: Flying is easy, landing is hard.

Thanks for bringing back all these memories, great thread!

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Imhotepic

An explanation may be in order:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
One summer day, back about 1977, I took a stroll along the banks of the Missouri River, just upstream of Kansas City. I found two fossilized clam shells, both halves together, and the striations were still crisp. I figured they were recent, but still, they were/are fossilized. I still have them.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

I read somewhere where it may not take that long at all for something to get 'fossilized', they were implying only a few years maybe; I've wondered myself about some of my finds.

How do you date a rock and the grooves or scratches dug into it?

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Texas, a river, state park, and canyon....sounds like the Ft Davis mountains. If so, having points from the staked plains makes sense....its Comanche country.

My coolest "discoveries" are mostly permian era marine fossils. This was a huge, shallow sea in the permian era, and we have tons of fossilized small marine fossils from that time.

we also have copious amounts of points. The area was a hotbed for Apache, then Comanche. Before that, others were here. We have water in a desert, along with some small mesas with flat land around. Easy to see for miles and miles and miles. The state park i live adjacent to has tons of various carvings from the 30's back into prehistory.

The doctor who lives behind me has some stuff on his property, too. I can't recall what it was, but when they put the pool in a few years ago, they had to break out solid limestone to build it. The vibrations from that exposed some stuff that was apparently 1200 years old (according to the doctors wife)

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I have some neolithic and mesolithic flint tools that I found whilst working on various digs, ones I found in streambeds near the sites that were worthless because they had no context. Or picked up off beaches on the West of Scotland.

Quite a lot of chunks of flint knapping debris from prehistoric tool making.

Would anybody be interested in trading?

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Not of high value but was magical the way I found it.

As a kid in Ireland I would go off by myself rambling through fields, forests, around the mountain which is in by grandparents back yard and I was fascinated by water, rivers and streams. One day I sat by the brook looking at the water swirling around the rocks when my attention was drawn to a small 12x8" flag stone for some reason it seemed out of place among the other stones. I lifted it up and to my surprise it was a lid to a small box formed of six similar size flags. Inside was a collection of some old clay tobacco pipes. One had a shamrock drawn on it. How many years had that box just sat there. Someone must have sat at that same brook like I did smoking his pipe, and its very possible it was one of my ancestors since our family lived around there for many generations.
edit on 13-8-2016 by zinc12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Imhotepic
So I'm an avid rockhound and I love to search for stone tools and other stone artifacts. I live in Texas near a river that once hosted thousands of natives along it's hundreds of miles of banks.

Near Del Rio? And the White Shaman site?

I **LOVE** this area!!!

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: SentientCentenarian
a reply to: Lazarus Short

I read somewhere where it may not take that long at all for something to get 'fossilized', they were implying only a few years maybe; I've wondered myself about some of my finds.

Those are called "concretions" and aren't actually the same as fossils.

How do you date a rock and the grooves or scratches dug into it?

Rocks are dated by layer (dated by fossils and by other technology). Scratches can be dated (estimated) by the patina. Fresh scratches are always much brighter than those that are hundreds of years old. Eventually the color fades to that of the surrounding rock.

The amount of time depends on the rock.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Back in the sixties I found a section of a spine - I think it was a fish - in the rock wall of a quarry. No other bones were visible, but the vertebrae were reddish.
It was pretty small so you had to look closely, but since it was red it wasn't that hard to see if you got close enough.
I left it there. Didn't have anything with me to chip it out, and I wasn't supposed to be there anyway.

Harte

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Interesting thread!

Well, Europe is full of hill forts, especially in German forests and, basically any large Irish hill. That landscape is unchanged for centuries. So one can go up there and walk about, see where the gateways where, where the 'castle' would have been.

In Poland Hill forts can have ruins beneath the soil where dark age palaces were once situated and one can notice these, just below the ground.

My best ever was discovering some aboriginal temples in Eastern Victoria, basically rock alignments on top of a volcano, and also that an aboriginal Earth Ring, think our equivalent of a Henge, was astronomically aligned. Yay!

Cheers. Charles.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: zinc12One had a shamrock drawn on it.

The Shamrock, didn't become a popular symbol in Ireland until the 1850s
Help you date your find...

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I once found a celtic looking bracelet sticking out of the ground when I was on holiday in hungary.
looked like this, only with one side open..

I got rid of it some years ago because I was thinking somehow this had a bad spell or similar..hahaha..

other from that the usual suspects, little fossils...
edit on 20-8-2016 by anti72 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join