It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overseas travel warnings about USA mount

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
I just, well yesterday actually, met a crowd (8) of Aussies touring the states on bicycles. They didn't look too terribly terrified...or unsafe, for that matter. In fact, they were having quite a good time of it from the sounds of it. They've been touring for about six months, and plan another four before heading back to school and work.

I actually asked them about that. They said, or the four that I actually talked with, that other than the occasional rude idiot that calls 'em Brits, they've had no issues worth speaking to.

Apparently they don't agree that the United States is a "dangerous" place to be. How 'bout that? Who'd have thought it?

So because 8 Aussies feel safe, the country is safe? That's your logic?

Because these 8 Aussies haven't been the victim of crime in the USA, crime therefore doesn't exist.
Are you seriously using a survey of 8 people all who have visited the same places to back-up your point?

If I said that I knew over a dozen Aussies who DID feel threatened in the USA, does that beat your statement?

Has anyone said in this thread that EVERYONE feels its dangerous? Or even every other? Or even 1 in 10, 1 in 100? No?
So what possible credence is there to using a poll of 8 Aussies you met towards this point?

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: SudoNim

In the long term, violent crime in the United States has been in decline since colonial times. - Fischer, Claude. "A crime puzzle: Violent crime declines in America". UC Regents.
link

From your wikipedia source.

The most reliable measure of violent crime is the homicide rate. Americans kill one another at a much higher rate – double, quadruple, or more – than do residents of comparable western European nations.

So it's not all violent crime, once again its just homicide rate.

Once again from your same source;

The rates are now approaching the level of the least violent era in American history, the late 1950s.

In a wider view, perhaps the more puzzling part of the story is the rapid upswing in violence from around 1960 to 1990

Keep trying Augustus, you'll save face eventually. Still not prepared to admit you were wrong.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: SudoNim

Try reading the actual source I supplied:

The overall story is that homicide rates declined substantially (as did rates of interpersonal violence of all sorts).

Quick review, since you seem to have a reading comprehension issue, crime has been declining since Colonial times, i.e. 'the beginning', and that includes all rates of interpersonal violence, i.e. 'violent crime'.

Have fun with that.

edit on 18-8-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Who is Barstar Lumberjerk?

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Try reading the actual source I supplied:

The overall story is that homicide rates declined substantially (as did rates of interpersonal violence of all sorts).

Quick review, since you seem to have a reading comprehension issue, crime has been declining since Colonial times, i.e. 'the beginning', and that includes all rates of interpersonal violence, i.e. 'violent crime'.

Have fun with that.

So your previous source that showed that it was lower in 1960 was incorrect then?

The graph also shows that progress was hardly uniform, as there were many upswings of violence

Unless you want to go back at claim your previous source was actually incorrect.

Total Crime and Violent Crime were lower in 1960.

Stick to a source now, in your panic you've chosen two that contradict each other. Try again.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   

In the long term, violent crime in the United States has been in decline since colonial times. - Fischer, Claude. "A crime puzzle: Violent crime declines in America". UC Regents.

Read it a few times.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Read it a few times.

I read it. Not only does it not show any data to back-up this statement.

IT IS IN DIRECT CONTRADICTION TO YOUR PREVIOUS SOURCE WHICH CLEARLY SHOWED 1960's CRIME LEVELS TO BE LOWER.
What part of that are you failing to understand.

Quit deflecting and decide which error you want to admit to.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

The U.S.A. is about the LAST country with an armed population.With all
the "rumors" of an U.N. take over of the internet this october.I can understand
why the U.S. is suddenly on a travel ban for foreign citizens.
With all the trumped up garbage being shown on MSM and abroad,the truth
is being silenced or twisted.
Not everyone who comes into this country has good intentions,some have very bad
intentions.Why should we welcome everyone with open arms and borders?
edit on 18-8-2016 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Perhaps you should contact Professor Fischer and request the data from him since you seem to doubt his position. In the mean time feel free to re-read what he published.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
Not everyone who comes into this country has good intentions,some have very bad
intentions.Why should we welcome everyone with open arms and borders?

Do you really believe that even your mighty country could lose the income it gets from tourism without it having serious ramafications?
edit on 18-8-2016 by Imagewerx because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Also did you notice that in the July heatwave my igloo almost melted to nothing! Lol

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Perhaps you should contact Professor Fischer and request the data from him since you seem to doubt his position. In the mean time feel free to re-read what he published.

I see you are still ignoring the fact that one of your sources contradicts the other.

Are you really that scared to admit you were wrong?

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I see you are still ignoring the fact that one of your sources contradicts the other.

The sources are not contradictory, Professor Fischer's publishings go back further than the first source and show that crime has been falling since Colonial times, i.e. 'the beginning'.

Enjoy.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Since it is at historical lows that would be from the beginning. Nothing arbitrary there.

Forgot your own lines now? Just get it over with, you claimed it was not only falling but at historical lows from the beginning.

Your own source proved this to be incorrect as it was lower in 1960.

Admit you were wrong. Get it over with, you've dodged it for numerous posts now, I know its a hit on your ego but the facts are right in your face.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Your own source proved this to be incorrect as it was lower in 1960.

U.S. Crime Rate Stays Near Historic Lows.

Yup, I guess I am just making things up here. Listen to the Prof:

edit on 18-8-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Who is Barstar Lumberjerk?

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Imagewerx

Just how well is the tourism in europe and england today?

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

Just how well is the tourism in europe and england today?

I really have no idea,but I'm off camping this weekend.Does that count as home grown tourism?

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Sure does. Have fun. Going to a nat'l. forest? Or a beach? Going to buy stuff while you're out and about? Tourism at it's best.

Wish I was going camping this weekend...alas, working around the house. Not tourism, in case you're wondering

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
If you go to Europe, you will die in an ISIS attack.
If you go to Australia, you'll get eaten by a didgery-doo, whatever that is.

And if you travel to the US, you'll be shot because we shoot everyone here.

This made me laugh...so much! Eaten by a didgeridoo!!!

HAHAHAHAHAH

I adore this statement so much that I will have to engineer a situation just so I can use it.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Sure does. Have fun. Going to a nat'l. forest? Or a beach? Going to buy stuff while you're out and about? Tourism at it's best.

Wish I was going camping this weekend...alas, working around the house. Not tourism, in case you're wondering

Grendon Lakes near Northampton,VW Golf mk.4 owners club annual knees up. They do glamping as well,but that's just not the same is it?

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

If I knew what glamping was, I might have an answer.

I have several friends from your neck of the woods, but I've never heard that word before... Help a yank out?

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join