It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today's Political Truth - Recent Government bankruptcies and bailouts...more than Trump since 08?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Let's start here...with a special guest in the end...

Solyndra
SunEdison
GM
Chrysler

We can use those 4 since Mr Trump has 4. However, 3 of his were for the same entity where he sold off ownership to restructure as well as take on investors to keep it alive. He was not wasting taxpayer dollars it was a business investment. A personal risk not a decision to reward donors.

Solyndra - over 500 million lost when they file bankruptcy two years later
SunEdison - 10's Millions and Millions lost when they find themselves 1.7 billion in the hole
GM and Chrysler - Now, even though control was transferred and some debts paid they received 10 billion more than they paid back.
Banks - money.cnn.com... Wells Fargo and Citibank never paid them back as well as numerous others.

Who are two of HIllarys largest contributors? You guessed it...Wells and Citibank.

www.opensecrets.org...

This is all taxpayer money. Mr Trump, that was him and investors. So, tell me which is worse. Keep in power politicians who gives away money to failing businesses and do not collect? No, we need someone who would not have made those poor decisions in the first place. This was supported widely by a lot of Washington including then candidate Barack Obama. A few including Hukabee, Paul and even private investor Paul Ichan. You know, Trumps friend. He knew it was a bad idea. They are businessmen. You do not invest in something with no return unless you have a payout.

The government is who is spending your hard earned tax money...not Mr Trump.
edit on 08pm31pmf0000002016-08-11T22:48:27-05:001027 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
When is that link to the banks from? It specifically says, 'This information has not been updated' and everything on there is from 2008. I found this other site from only a year later, in 2009 that says "Wells Fargo & Co, the fourth-largest U.S. bank by assets, on Wednesday said it repaid the $25 billion government bailout it received during the financial crisis, after last week selling $12.25 billion in stock."

www.reuters.com...

But I also found something that seems to suggest that they haven't repaid it... if I'm interpreting it correctly.

projects.propublica.org...

That only lists about two billion though and if you click further it seems to say that it has to do with the loans given to housing or mortgage and wasn't expected to be paid back. The $25 billion does indeed seem to have been paid back though.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: rshackleford

Good questions. I was using that as a list to show the initial 'buyout'. Not so much who has paid back and has not. The bad part here is not so much that it happened, although it should not have we would have survived, it is that those who get the buyouts are those who contribute.

This is a good article...the cycle will not stop till we stop it.

www.nydailynews.com...

New documents show that the most loan and other aid for U.S. institutions over time went to Citigroup ($2.2 trillion), followed by Merrill Lynch ($2.1 trillion), Morgan Stanley ($2 trillion), Bank of America ($1.1 trillion), Bear Stearns ($960 billion), Goldman Sachs ($620 billion), JPMorgan Chase ($260 billion) and Wells Fargo ($150 billion). Many of the individual loans they took were worth billions and had short durations but were paid back and renewed many times. Merrill Lynch was later acquired by Bank of America, while Bear Stearns collapsed and was sold to JPMorgan.

and they sold them to themselves....

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

So you trust a man who has no qualms about crashing our economy and claiming he'll just make a deal with the banks because he's the king of debt? This is a good idea to you?

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Economies do not crash, they just come back to the real world after the illusion of infinity money comes crashing down. If "crash symptoms" are whats required to come back to reality, who are we to wait until another generation where it gets worse before correcting it.

Let it crash, let it burn. Those of us who have learned the game will make money from it anyways.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   

I knew the usuals would be here to tell you how wrong you are by simply saying "Trump bad".
Straw man arguments are the back bone of these usuals.
Well presented post and I'll keep my eye on the mental Kung fu this thread is sure to incite.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   

So is there any other solution other than disbanding governments in their current form ?....all they do is spend way more than they get and then demand the peasants pay more ....how long till the ship sinks ?

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

Man, so much BS in your post I can only assume you are a Trump supporter.
edit on 12-8-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
These posts are to make people think. Educate.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

really? You know when Paul Volcker was chair of the Fed, he did the unthinkable. Raised the rates, and everyone screamed calamity. But it was necessary to stop playing politics in order to get the economy back to reality.

The Federal Reserve board led by Volcker is widely credited with ending the United States' stagflation crisis of the 1970s. Inflation, which peaked at 14.8 percent in March 1980, fell below 3 percent by 1983.[9][10]

The Federal Reserve board led by Volcker raised the federal funds rate, which had averaged 11.2% in 1979, to a peak of 20% in June 1981. The prime rate rose to 21.5% in 1981 as well. Thus, the unemployment rate rose to over 10%. The economy was restored since the tight-money policy was over in 1982. According to William Silber [11] "His policy of preemptive restraint during the economic upturn after 1983 increased real interest rates and pushed Congress and the president to adopt a plan [the 1985 Gramm-Rudman-Hollings bill] to balance the budget. The combination of sound monetary and fiscal integrity sustained the goal of price stability."

People hated it, politicians hated, but it was the necessary thing to do. Now we have been going through the same thing, and instead of doing the right thing, politicians keep playing politics with our monetary policy and pushing the inevitable reality from breaking through the fantasy of unlimited money. This just makes certain that when reality hits, it will hit harder than ever.

And your damn right I am a Trump supporter.

top topics

join