It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History of CommonWealth forces

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I am starting this thread as a broad topic to discuss the role of commonwealth forces from the ANZACs to Indian troops all have served british empire and in later parts of the 20th century commonwealth forces still served proudly (although they were no longer fighting as a part of the pommy empire.)
Feel free to debate anything from the boer war to Vietnam.
Why hasnt much been written about the role of India? Indian forces were just as good as diggers and didnt start looting in Singapore when the japs were closing in.

If your one of those yanks who think that America won WW1/WW2 by itself dont bother posting on this thread. However if you have an open mind and you are willing to accpet that other countries were better at some aspects of warfare then feel free to post.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:15 AM
link   
yes, good post. Commonwealth forces dont get enough recognition for the bravery and courage shown in the two world wars.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I do know that during WWII Canada had the third most powerfull Navy on the planet. Too bad Liberal idiots killed Canada's military. Eventually the Arctic Ice will melt freeing the Northwest passage and opening up the Great White North to new shipping routes and oil & gas exploration. The vast wealth of these un tapped resources is starting to make countries like Dennmark lay claim to Canada's North and Canada can't defend themselves. Plus they've done nothing but lay insults to America so the U.S. who also is laying new claims to the North Pole resources isn't gonna care who develops the resources as long as they sell it to them. Not to mention canada keeps siezing foreign fishing vessles from Spain & Norway but has barley any ships to equip the coast guard.
Thanx alot you stupid moronic liberal idiots.

Canada now ranks the third lowest military power in NATO. Canada is just above Greenland & Iceland.
The world is actually getting more dangerous and unstable and the Canadian liberals are living in la la land, totally clueless that the land is ripe for the pickings.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Canada like Russia is one of those Countries that would be almost impossible to invade becuase of the sheer size of the place and the changing terrian. Which reminds me even go to Sue St. Marie and go north and you'll get from flat into small canyons.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:47 AM
link   
BattleofBatoche What did the Candian navy do in WW2 ? I know they would have taken part in the Ubout war as an aussie I would like to know more about the Candian role in WW2 apart from the well known role on D Day.
Arent Candian special forces serving in Afghanistan?
Could we avoid another liberal/conservtive bashing thread?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   
The Japs had reached all the way to the tip of eastern India by 1944, and were held at bay (first real resistance to jap forces on the asian continent) till the end of the war..However certain movements within India who were fighting for liberation had sided with the Japs and were planning an uprising/mutiny amongst the Indian troops serving fro the brit empire...This was because the Japs had promised to liberate India and grant it sovereign status...However the war ended and later India go its independance anyhow..

On another note Indian troops served in north Africa and Europe too

[edit on 20-1-2005 by Daedalus3]

[edit on 20-1-2005 by Daedalus3]

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Good idea on the thread, BAD idea on the idea of blameing liberals.
What is the use of a well armed navy and armed forces when you have no one to fight?

Canada i think is a fantastic country, no enemies only friends.
Canada has never in any thread i have been in insulted by anyone.
Its a good country and its navy may be small but the fact that they will be well trained more than equals size.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
There was this one incident when a candian sub ran into trouble in the atlantic and it was all over the news..
Didn't any one insult Canada then?
Esp. on this forum..

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
There was this one incident when a candian sub ran into trouble in the atlantic and it was all over the news..
Didn't any one insult Canada then?
Esp. on this forum..

Uh no since it was an old sub and it caught fire (They do catch fire you know...), i dont think they actually insulted the canadians more like the UK since we built the damm thing!

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
BattleofBatoche What did the Candian navy do in WW2 ? I know they would have taken part in the Ubout war as an aussie I would like to know more about the Candian role in WW2 apart from the well known role on D Day.

One of the most important roles was that of the Canadian Merchant Navy. Without these North American Ships and the supplies they carried I doubt the UK could have even survived let alone counter attack Germany, and forget a allied invasion of fortress europe without them.

They also played a military role in many arenas like the Battle of the Atlantic but IMO that was not as key as the work of the Merchant Navy The very outcome of the war depended on the successful transport of troops equipment, fuel, goods by sea.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The canadian navy and its armed forces played major roles in WW2.
They had the highest number of kills on subs.
They fought at normandy and across the world.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
hat do you think of Gordon Bennett's justification for his departure, that Australia needed to to have his intelligence, to know how to defeat this enemy?

Poppycock. We know that Gordon Bennett thought he was in line for the number one position in in the Australian army, and that is the reason he left and that is, that doesn't come from Elphick. That comes from Australian sources. The top job in Australia was up for grabs and he thought that he was the best guy for it.
source

Although its not made clear here if I recall rightly Bennett left the Island without orders in other words he was a deserter. With the benfit of hindsight I have always thought he did the the right thing. What do felllow ATS posters think?
Feel free to post incidents from other commonwealth nations. Thanks for Feedback concerning the candian navy.

top topics

join