It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The GOPs Trump dilemma

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The relationship between Trump and the GOP has never been good. With Trumps numbers tanking the GOP Chairman called Trump and made it clear The Republican Party’s Chairman’s Warning to Donald Trump

Priebus informed Trump that his campaign seemed to be headed toward failure and that changes were needed to get back on track.

The officials said Priebus described to Trump internal party polls that show his campaign headed in the wrong direction. Priebus told Trump that he would have been better off had he spent the days since the Republican convention at his Mar-a-Lago Club, officials said.

This call likely explains Trumps brief attempt to behave, his endorsement of Ryan and McCain. speaking from prepared scripts, adopting the GOP economic plan, a new batch of Wall Street donors and advisers and stopping all the normal crazy Trump talk.

The Trump reboot only lasted a couple days before the old Trump showed back up. And now its seems loud out of control Trump is what will stay as reality seems to be setting in with Trump Trump confirms GOPs worst fears

"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth. And if at the end of 90 days, I've fallen short because I'm somewhat politically correct even though I'm supposed to be the smart one and even though I'm supposed to have a lot of good ideas, it's OK. I go back to a very good way of life."

Trumps seems to be saying if he is going down, he is going down his way.

So what was Trump told the GOP might be forced to do?

The officials said Priebus explained to Trump that he had a responsibility to the entire Republican Party, not just the presidential nominee.

With the party seeing record numbers of ticket-splitting voters in its internal and public polls, the GOP is facing a decision about whether to prioritize outreach to those voters who would never vote for Trump but remain open to supporting its Senate and House candidates. The end result could be the party expending resources to turn out voters who will vote for Hillary Clinton but also back Republican Senate incumbents like Marco Rubio in Florida or Rob Portman in Ohio.

With early voting beginning in mid-September, Priebus told Trump he doesn’t have much time to reverse his polling slide, the officials said.

With Trump basically saying he is doing things his own way and pressure from within and out the GOP to dump supporting Trump. Former GOP Staffers Urge RNC to Drop Donald Trump Support or Risk Democratic Landslide

In a draft letter with more than 70 signatories that is expected to be formally sent next week, they warn of "the catastrophic impact" they predict Trump's campaign will have on other Republicans who are running this year.

“We believe that Donald Trump’s divisiveness, recklessness, incompetence, and record-breaking unpopularity risk turning this election into a Democratic landslide, and only the immediate shift of all available RNC resources to vulnerable Senate and House races will prevent the GOP from drowning with a Trump-emblazoned anchor around its neck,”

So the GOP can walk away from Trump take their money and go all in on other GOP races or continue to support Trump who now seems to be ignoring their advice. For Trump losing the GOP money would hurt but, he is polling so poorly that it likely will not matter. He use the excuse that the GOP abandoned him. Making the GOP look worse.

For the GOP do you risk dumping Trump and the baggage that will bring to try and save the other GOP candidates or do you support Trump and just take your lumps no matter how much you lose? Seems to me the GOP is in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Trump says he will go back to a very nice life after losing but, somebody has to clean up the mess he is leaving the GOP in or it will cease to exist.
edit on 11-8-2016 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-8-2016 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

+19 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
If Trump throws this election because he was never serious, he'll have every GOP leader, voter, and all the "2nd amendment people" after him and his family.

It's hard to believe that anyone would run for President simply to entertain themselves, but it's ONCE AGAIN looking like that's what Donald Trump is doing.

Pissed me off when he appeared to be doing this in June, but then he calmed down and looked serious, up to his marvelous convention speech. But now, we're too close to November 8th. He needs to commit, or quit, ASAP!

+22 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
the GOP has betrayed its electorate time and time again.

This is still better than watching some country club republican clown like Romney who is to afraid to say anything because he is afraid of being called mean. And whose pockets were filled with mega banks and mega corp.

As for ISIS and Obama. It's the same story as Al-qaeda in the 1980's in Afghanistan. US arms rebels who happen to be radical muslims.
The people at the Pentagon knew what would happen and they still went through with it. There is history of doing this exact thing before with the same results.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
C'mon MrSpad ... answer me this ... is The Don not the clear cut winner of the GOP nomination?

Do you think for a second that any poll numbers at this date amount to a hill of beans? He is gonna tear through Clinton in the run-up to election like crap through a goose.

You've got all the time in the world to cast aspersions on his chances. He's just gonna coast along until it's time to beat her to (figuratively speaking now) death.

What do you honestly make of Hillary's health condition? I honestly think it's worse than anyone on your side is ready to even openly consider. I thought the diaper thread was a riot.

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Sometimes I think Trump might be using some of the more dramatic assertions laid out by ATS members as his bell-weather for social opinion

+25 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

The GOP has no one to blame but themselves. Trump is the end result of the GOP turning away from policy voters and running head long towards emotional voters.

This all started with Palin. The GOP made a desperate move with selecting Palin as McCain's running mate. They knew Obama probably couldn't be beat, they thought their only chance was putting a female on the ticket. Ironically, putting Palin on the ticket guaranteed an Obama win and started the GOP down a path that is ending with Trump as their nominee.

Palin is dumb, everyone can agree on that, even the GOP. The problem with dumb people is that they are hard to control...and they couldn't control the stupid things Palin kept saying. The reason this was a problem is because there are a lot of dumb people in our country, and they gravitated towards what Palin was saying. This was the first step in the GOP attracting non-traditional GOP voters. They weren't stealing them from the Democrats, they were just drawing out a lot of ignorant and angry people that most likely had always been Republican voters, but never had a voice in the party. With Palin, that changed...they had their voice.

Next came the Tea Party, and again the GOP embraced this movement and co-opted it from it's original intent. The Tea Party was the home all the angry, outspoken, but not very smart people were always looking for. It spawned the birthers, it shifted "immigration" from being a minor issue to one of the GOPs main issues, it created fear and anger towards Muslims and the middle east, and it gave the angry and the ignorant a larger voice in the GOP.

All this time, the GOP knew they had a problem...but they weren't sure how to handle it. They knew the large issue for the party was that they were becoming primarily the party of older white voters. Losing a large portion of the young voters, a good portion of the women voters, almost all black and latino voters, and even starting to lose the middle age voters. You could see the GOP trying to win over these groups, getting more women elected, getting some latinos elected, and shamelessly using the few black republicans as their token black friend. But they had let the loud angry members of the party get too much of a foothold, and they elected rather radical members into the house and the senate.

The GOP primary in 2012 was a complete bloodbath. They tore each other up so bad that the only one left on top was Romney, a plastic man who you really couldn't tear down because there wasn't much of substance. They gave Paul Ryan the VP nod to try to appease the growing segment of Tea Party supporters. However, Ryan was never a true representative of the Tea Party, he just catered to them when he saw they were gaining influence. Ryan was now trapped as well...either appease the crazies in the tea party...or actually make sane decisions. He still hasn't found out the correct way to do either.

This gave us the past 6 years of the GOP refusing to work with any democrats, shutting down and threatening to shut down the government anytime they don't get their way. Trying desperately to find a way to impeach Obama, search for his birth certificate like it was the holy grail, try to overturn the healthcare law that they knew they didn't have a chance of doing, blocking judge appointments, investigating everything Hillary Clinton does, and continue the angry rhetoric that gives the ignorant portion of the GOP a louder voice and more to scream about.

They have done nothing to promote policy or solutions over the past 6-8 years. They have elected people who's only goal is to try to fight against Obama instead of trying to improve the lives of their constituents. They have lost segments of their voting bloc due to them focusing more on these silly fabricated issues rather than work on real issues that would improve people's lives or focusing on traditional Republican principles. They are at a point where their primaries consist of McCarthyism type attacks...accusing opponents of not be "real" Republicans or not be Conservative enough.

This brings us to Trump and the GOP's dilemma with him. They created the environment where Trump will thrive with the current GOP voting bloc. However, that environment that they created is a very radical environment when compared to the entire nation and the entire voting population. They can't abandon him, because they are will be abandoning the very voters they have attracted over the past 8 years and they will feel betrayed. They can't support him, because it will only further create an environment where it will be extremely difficult for them to ever win another General Election. They are stuck in a situation where they will continue to do well with senate and house elections in certain areas of the country, but it will be hard for them to gain widespread acceptance anymore.

I don't know what they do from here. They either stay with what they have, concede the Presidency for the foreseeable future and just focus on the smaller elections. Or they take a stand, lose big in the next few elections but then grow back to the Republican party before this entire experiment that started with Palin.

TL;DR: The GOP has created the perfect environment for Trump, if they turn on him they will anger the voters that they themselves have riled up. If they don't turn on him, they will continue to get more and more extreme and not win a Presidential election in the near future.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

All that talk of Ignorant and Smart makes me think you understand NEITHER ,much less how to measure who the Tea Party actually is.
The DNC hates the Tea Partiers INSTINCTIVELY and visa versa.
My I.Q. is 115 WHAT'S yours?

I can tell, because you both think we are bothered or worried about how the GOP is behaving ,exposing themselves by traitorous behavior.
Not really, they have been leaving us behind for sometime we are just having a little SHOW DOWN here.
edit on 11-8-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
C'mon MrSpad ... answer me this ... is The Don not the clear cut winner of the GOP nomination?

Do you think for a second that any poll numbers at this date amount to a hill of beans? He is gonna tear through Clinton in the run-up to election like crap through a goose.

You've got all the time in the world to cast aspersions on his chances. He's just gonna coast along until it's time to beat her to (figuratively speaking now) death.

What do you honestly make of Hillary's health condition? I honestly think it's worse than anyone on your side is ready to even openly consider. I thought the diaper thread was a riot.

Yes the numbers are very important at this date, the first voting begins in a month. The GOP knows this and so does Trump. His comments about how if he loses it is no big deal he has a great life to go back to is a clear sign not even he like his chances anymore.

Just today Donald Trump Laments Sliding Polls While Maintaining His Provocative Approach

“We’re having a tremendous problem in Utah,” Mr. Trump said, alluding to polls showing him in a fight with Mrs. Clinton in that normally deep-red state. “Utah is different.”

In Ohio, Mr. Trump said, “We need help.”

In Pennsylvania, a state he once insisted he would win, he seemed now to hold out hope of an upset that was looking more like a long-shot. “Pennsylvania is a little further, but I think we’ll win Pennsylvania because of the miners,” he said, adding of Mrs. Clinton: “She wants the miners out of business. She wants steel out of business.”

And in Virginia, Mr. Trump said, the result would depend on whether evangelical Christian voters turn out to support him in November. In 2012, he said, evangelicals nationally did not vote in sufficiently large numbers for Mitt Romney.

Mr. Trump pleaded with pastors and church leaders to organize their congregants and impress upon them the stakes in the election. “We’re going to hopefully win, and the way we’re going to win is you have to get your congregations and you have to get parishioners and you have to get all your people to go out and vote,” he said.

Trump has already gone back to crazy Trump, the Trump nobody wants. He is doing nothing to attract new voters and driving away on the fence Republicans with every false and crazy claim. How is he going to bring back voters the have left him or get Clinton's to defect? Crazy claims that are immediately show as being false? Nope. He tried for a moments to be normal candidate but, likely the internal polls he is seeing are telling him it is over and he might as well go out as himself.

You can pretend things are going well, that Trump is winning but, take it from his own words, not we will win,

“We’re going to hopefully win
Does that sound like a guy who thinks he is going to win?

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

It's hard to believe that anyone would run for President simply to entertain themselves, but it's ONCE AGAIN looking like that's what Donald Trump is doing.

Well, at least this is giving all the anti-intellectual liberal-college hating Republicans a crash course in Sociopathology.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
For the GOP do you risk dumping Trump and the baggage that will bring to try and save the other GOP candidates or do you support Trump and just take your lumps no matter how much you lose? Seems to me the GOP is in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Trump says he will go back to a very nice life after losing but, somebody has to clean up the mess he is leaving the GOP in or it will cease to exist.

I've been reading the same material, and I think both parties are going to have to change who they let run on their tickets. Neither Trump nor Sanders have been involved in their respective parties for many years and they're not that committed to the platform. Basically the parties are support structures for these candidates to make a more effective run for office.

I think that Trump will be financially wrecked when he loses. There's a lot of lawsuits coming down on him over his stiffing everyone he can - including people who did things for his campaign - while funneling money into his own family and friends. He's now tapping into the Republican war chest, as you noted, but they seem to be considering taking this away from his fingers. He can only dodge the IRS for so long.

it's sort of a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' for the GOP. And I think that both parties realize they need to find more appealing candidates.

There's a lot that will play out in this election, including the changing voter laws. It'll be quite an interesting ride.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   

No matter how hard the GOP tried to dump Trump the people picked him and it seems the GOP forgot that...hmmm

With either side they forgot they represent the people and feel they know what is best no matter what the people say.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   

His comments about how if he loses it is no big deal he has a great life to go back to is a clear sign not even he like his chances anymore.

I disagree. Taken in context, the comment says to me "If I win, I'm going to win being true to myself, if I lose, I'm going to lose being true to myself. I'm not going to change myself just because some are saying I have to change to win this." It's a degree of honesty and real-talk that Americans have been begging for from their politicians for many years. Now we have it and... *some* are bending over backwards to convince his supporters that he's doomed to fail?

I don't get it. What I do get is that I'm voting for Donald Trump in November and I am doing so with the hope and expectation that he will win.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

it's sort of a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' for the GOP. And I think that both parties realize they need to find more appealing candidates.

There's a lot that will play out in this election, including the changing voter laws. It'll be quite an interesting ride.

It is kind of crazy that the GOP is now endorsing Hillary in their own way. Kind of like the kid who gets mad and takes the ball home.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Sometimes I think Trump might be using some of the more dramatic assertions laid out by ATS members as his bell-weather for social opinion

It's pretty obvious he is. I don't know what his sources are (I suspect Twitter sources) but it's clear that he's getting his statements from them.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Byrd

It is kind of crazy that the GOP is now endorsing Hillary in their own way. Kind of like the kid who gets mad and takes the ball home.

Not so much that as he's gone places that they can't support - and weren't in their platform statements. He's so far off their stated positions (and in some cases, ethics) that they simply can't agree to support him.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: kruphix
Excellent kruphix, just plain excellent.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

It's too late for the GOP. They hitched their wagon to the Trump horse despite MASSIVE warnings not to and that a Trump nomination will destroy down ballot chances. These warnings have been coming since he entered the race too. It's not like the GOP can't say they didn't see this coming.

Plus now if the GOP abandons Trump, Trump's supporters will probably abandon the GOP, making their down ballot chances even slimmer. There is no going back for the GOP. When they squashed the #NeverTrump movement they squashed all chance of them recovering from this fiasco before the election happens.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Dumb. All these people are dumb. Palin. Trump. His supporters....that is all you have. The ability to call us 'dumb'. Like children.

There is no issue in the GOP support. The people who are true democrats and suck the tit of the government, yes, but your article makes it sound like the GOP leadership has turned their back. It is almost like you decided to simply create a HuffPost article. Go on that site and it is Anti-trump.

Sorry, there is no implosion. I saw that first hand last night in KIssimmee Florida. It was a great rally...close to 5k when Hillary drew about a thousand in the smaller venue next door last week. Of course you will say rally turnout means nothing but most of you also do not believe in the polls and that is what this article is based on.

So, who is the source for the 'implosion' of the campaign? Is it that anonymous Republican source? I bet it is.....

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

As a Libertarian I could have been persuaded to set aside many of my standard viewpoints and vote for just about any Republican candidate this year over Clinton because I think she is such a disgusting and vile witch who has no connection to the average citizen but I will not be voting for Trump either as I find him almost as despicable.

Sadly, I think that Clinton will win if she is still in the race come October.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Well said.

All they can do is call us names and say how he'll get zero support from _______ group. Ignoring the fact he beat out the entire GOP field. The silent majority stays silent for a reason.

Trump2016

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join