It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nikon P900

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I saw a camera i was interested in, does anyone in here have that camera, and what do you think about it?

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Oddly enough posted about it a few days back.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

Im really interested in buying one, but if its only taking some cool pictures of the moon, then, no..
Wild life photography, base of use, cons and pros..
Must be someone who bought it

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Watching woman shower from 2 miles away *cough*

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Visit the site it says it is good for birdwatchers.
Also sure someone has used one in the thread pm them.
edit on 10-8-2016 by TheKnightofDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

Im really interested in buying one, but if its only taking some cool pictures of the moon, then, no..
Wild life photography, base of use, cons and pros..
Must be someone who bought it

And they'll tell you how cool it is, because they just bought it. If you really want a professional or semi-pro level camera, this ain't it. You need an SLR for that. This is a "point and shoot." I have an earlier version of it. This kind of camera undergoes constant revision and I wouldn't think this will last more than a year in the marketplace before it is superseded by an "improved" model. The "Coolpix" series is for amateurs, but for a "point and shoot" it's pretty good and pretty versatile. Yes, it has a great zoom, but it doesn't care if you zoom to the moon or a bird a thousand feet away. That's not the camera's issue; it's yours.

This model is the flagship of the Coolpix series, which probably has about twenty different models at this point, some of them very small. That's kind of the idea, a small camera that fits in a purse or pocket and doesn't weigh a ton or need a huge camera bag full of accessories to lug around with it. This model is a bit larger, but it does a lot more. A good photographer will be capable of taking great pictures with it at a resolution that will allow you easy blow ups to 8 x 10. It would be a good camera to take on an overseas trip, for example, where you wanted to keep the weight down.

Point-and-shoots are clearly targeted at amateur photographers, people who have never taken a photography course and who want to take pictures of their trips, their kids, or their cats, but want a step up from their Smartphone. Their memory cards are ample for video as well as stills. If you are in this category, it's one of the best available. If you are a pro, a semi-pro, or a wannabe, you'll want to invest (and I DO mean invest,) in an SLR at twice the price before you start buying very expensive lenses. And for a true professional-grade camera, you're talking several thousand for just the body alone.

I have two Coolpix brand cameras. They do what I want them to do at this stage. I recommend them within the parameters I stated above.

originally posted by: Tjoran
Watching woman shower from 2 miles away *cough*

You'll need a tripod for that.
edit on 8/10/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Thank you for the info. It so happens I am in the market and a friend of my just posted to FB some info about this camera. What would be your top pick in this category if you don't mind my asking.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

First off I don't own a Nikon but I do own several canon (d50, d5mII) Sony (a5000, a6000, nex7).
With point and shoot cameras optical zoom and digital zoom are animals of different nature. Optical when scaled 100℅ will be clear where as digital will be pixelated. If Nikon over came the pixelation then that's a big step for point and shoot cameras. I'm not saying the p900 is bad but for the price their are other options. I'm not pitching or trying to sell you on any one of other cameras, but there are a lot of factors to consider.

1: sensor size, the bigger the sensor the less noise. The p900 has a small sensor compared to full frame and aps-c sensors. So in low light noise is going to noticeable.

2: lens, the p900 f2.8 24- 2000mm is amazing focal length but sharpness will be lost when zoomed in at 2000mm.

3: For the average user it's not bad at all. Bird watching and nature it should work fine.

4: personal opinions very when it comes to cameras every one will say something different. Check around see if someone will rent the p900 for a day. Borrowhas it for rent for $55 a day. Rent it take it for a spin and see if it's what you like.

5: my Fotos can be found on Instagram

edit on 10-8-2016 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Thank you for the info. It so happens I am in the market and a friend of my just posted to FB some info about this camera. What would be your top pick in this category if you don't mind my asking.

Well, I think the Coolpix series does pretty well. What HillBilly said below is so true about the high-end zoom feature. The last few "clicks" are actually digital zoom, not "analog" zoom, so you run the risk of haziness. But as I think you will agree from the moon shot example, the new version does pretty well on that score. If you're going that extreme on zooming, you'll need a tripod anyway because you simply cannot hold the camera steady enough. Frankly I think the digital zoom is more for bragging rights and marketing than for effective use.

I'm kinda sorta almost in the market for an SLR next. I used a Canon A-1 for many years very effectively in my job, but, of course, it is much dated these days. It was out of date for a film camera even, but the A/AE series was well-respected in its day. I'll be looking closely at the Canon EOS Rebel series as a semi-pro level camera. It means all new lenses, probably. The higher end Canons are really out of my reach.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Thank you..! I was looking at it a few times, but after your review im not buying it..

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

Wow!!!

Truly amazing photos !

You are a pro photographer I assume ?

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

Wow!!!

Truly amazing photos !

Lord no I do it for fun

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent

originally posted by: M5xaz

Wow!!!

Truly amazing photos !

Lord no I do it for fun

Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   

The zoom is incredible! Here's my video using the older Nikon P500 to give you some idea. You will not be disappointed with the P900 83x zoom!

edit on 10-8-2016 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Staroth

Do you have an high res pics you took?

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Now can we get the same zoom in a DSLR lens? And no, not using a lens that's bigger than the camera and needing its own tripod. Preferably it should be similar in form factor and size of the lens housing on the P900.

I think there'd be interest in that too. Some of us have DSLR bodies with good features and sensors, would be nice to have some kit that provides some crazy zoooooooooom without having to get a whole other camera. Yeah, I know there's likely trade-offs in aperture values and stuff like chromatics or other artifacting, but for stuff like outdoor shooting it may be worth it.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: pauljs75

Yes! Its called a f8, 500mm MR leitz Wetzlar lens.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
I saw a camera i was interested in, does anyone in here have that camera, and what do you think about it?

What exact model was it? What company? Camera type? I personally bought gopro hero5 and so far so good. Only problem is the sound sometimes isnt that audible. Apart from that rest is pretty much justified for the money I spent. I took it to Dubai Atlantis water park took the bad ride leap of faith and it recorded things quite well. Just the sound when water comes in contact can be tricky.

new topics

top topics

join