It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Opinion is Right?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
As we all know, everyone has an opinion. There is Bob who thinks black people are takers, thinks women deserve less pay, thinks abortion should be illegal and believes that gay people go against God's law.

Then there is Jane who thinks whites keep black people down, thinks women should be paid equally, thinks abortion is a woman's right and thinks gay people are just fine.

But what makes these differing opinions right or wrong? Is Bob wrong that in his experience and his gauge that black people are takers? Or is Jane right that whites are the enemy of black people? Usually you can say the truth lies in the middle but instead, you have other people who take sides...siding with the person whose belief matches theirs.

These people will even go as far as stating that while they believe and support most of Jane's opinions, that there may be one of them where Bob is actually right.

I'm suggesting this. There is no literal right and wrong opinion. Bob's experience, the people he has met, the exchanges they had, etc. lead to his opinion. He wasn't born with that opinion and while it could have be influenced by other individuals, usually it is backed up by experience. So considering the small section of the world both Bob and Jane have experienced, I propose they are both right. Right based upon their experience, those they passed on their way through life, etc.

Maybe it is simply a missing set of words like "From my experience, black people are takers." and "From my experience, white people keep blacks down.". I guess that would make the statements more accurate but in the end...Bob and Jane are both right.

So...transposing that to the purpose of this thread...everyone on ATS is right with their opinions. Based upon their experience, their opinion is accurate and therefore it is the truth...for them.

Arguing someone's truth, someone's experience is dumb. How can you tell a person that their experiences hold no merit? How can you correct their (in your opinion) incorrect view? You can't anymore than they can change yours. Yet we argue.

The only time I find another person's opinion wrong is when they adopt their opinion solely based upon what others say and when they adopt an opinion because someone they don't like, supports the opposite. Such individuals are not the majority, but there are those among us. These are the only opinions that are wrong.

So when we debate the merits of our individual opinions, try to remember that the person to which you are speaking isn't ignorant, hateful or bad. They simply have different experiences than you. And you have different experiences then them. Maybe you are in one part of the country and they are in another and if the situations were reversed, so would be the opinions.

Not that I'm anyone to boast about arguing. I do more than my fair share. But I do believe that opinions are always right. I do believe that one person's belief never holds less weight than another's.

I plan to remember this going forward. I hope you do too.
edit on 8/10/2016 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

You can't ever argue opinions.

You can argue facts, but that's about it.

(In my opinion)

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
What about those that promote an opinion to inflame others so as to take action against a person, group or sect?

Its all carefully disguised rhetoric, seemingly for security, safety and the humanity or children, but really disguised to instill more control from a position of fear.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Any set of standards and principles, for instance valid logic, evidence and reasoning, prove both to be false.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

What about those that promote an opinion to inflame others so as to take action against a person, group or sect?

Its all carefully disguised rhetoric, seemingly for security, safety and the humanity or children, but really disguised to instill more control from a position of fear.

I would say, or meant to imply that "when they adopt an opinion because someone they don't like, supports the opposite" covers that.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Any set of standards and principles, for instance valid logic, evidence and reasoning, prove both to be false.

Considering that when people say "cucumbers are icky" they obviously mean "from my experience and to me, cucumbers are icky"...I disagree. Obviously to them...they are. That would be THEIR truth.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Considering that when people say "cucumbers are icky" they obviously mean "from my experience and to me, cucumbers are icky"...I disagree. Obviously to them...they are. That would be THEIR truth.

Tastes are subjective. Facts aren't. Saying "black people are takers" isn't a subjective argument, but one that can be confirmed or denied by looking at the real world.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Imo, 9O percent of 'our' opinions are handed to us.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Not in my experience. The vast majority of people I call friends have backed up to me WHY they have their given opinions on everything from politics to religion. And in my experience, they formulated them from their experience. I've even see a number of friends change their opinion when they moved or changed in their financial standing as they experienced different places and situations.

But...a little tongue in cheek...your experience may be different

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Doesn't that depend where the "real world" is? For example, there is a development about ten miles from where I live that is full of mostly minorities, many of whom moved here from NY. The crime rate is very high and the community as a whole is a well known (even by police) trouble spot. The Walmart near that community experiences high rates of black crime (mostly theft). I happen to know someone who works there in Asset Protection.

In their world...blacks are thieves. It is a fact to them, for that area and from their experience. This once "everyone is equal" person is now what some would call racist. But again...since their opinion has been modified by actual, factual experience...I would say they aren't racist, they are simply in a position and place where blacks are actually thieves more so than other places and in this case, other races.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

"Friends" that you know outside the internet? I thought we were talking about 'opinions' on the internet?

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

But what makes these differing opinions right or wrong? Is Bob wrong that in his experience and his gauge that black people are takers? Or is Jane right that whites are the enemy of black people?

These people will even go as far as stating that while they believe and support most of Jane's opinions, that there may be one of them where Bob is actually right.

II hope you do too.

Could I ask that the query not be loaded, "Is Bob wrong that in his experience" where it seems that Jane doesn't have that experience but is just, "right that whites are the enemy of black people?"

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   
As an ordained minister in the Church of Latter Day Dudeism, I give you this.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I only have trouble with opinions that are held simply because 'someone said so'. When I ask someone 'why' they believe something to be true and they can't tell me, I despair for us all.

Basing one's opinion simply on the 'word' of an authority (however reliable) without wanting to hear other sides to any question is indifference of the highest order and to be looked upon with pity.

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Tastes are subjective. Facts aren't. Saying "black people are takers" isn't a subjective argument, but one that can be confirmed or denied by looking at the real world.

Not really. Because in this case the answer isn't a yes or no. You can easily say that "some blacks are takers" and have it be true and objective. We know this because we have had instances proven that some blacks are takers in the same way that some whites, hispanics, etc, are takers.

"Blacks are takers" is "sort of" objective but the answer is that you can not say all blacks ARE or ARE NOT takers

Either way, WeAreAwake does has a bit of a point about experience and consequence. I think OP made a point that we gauge true or untrue on our experiences and none of the experiences make the "fact" a fact.

new topics

top topics

join