It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moral and Ethical Question for all

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
If evolution and natural process resulted in us hunting animals, what is the moral basis for not eating animals? By the way, fruit and vegetables have been genetically manipulated? Ever seen maize which corn was derived from. Very different. Are fruit and vegetables now not real food?

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The process of evolution and nature causes suffering? Is evolution and nature immoral?

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux
The process of evolution and nature causes suffering? Is evolution and nature immoral?

I made peace a long time ago with the fact that in order for me to live, many living things must die. And then someday I will die, and we'll be even.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

They are a law unto themselves. Amoral.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
YAT YAS 1833

edit on 10-8-2016 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
This is a very messy ethical dilemna, do you observe or interact? Interaction, in any form, changes evolutionary path. The killing of an organism can change the natural evolutionary outcome, observation from "afar" may even change the trajectory, a very DEEP dilemna indeed.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

My embracement of Nietzche's Master Morality model makes this easy. Unless and until humans encounter a being in a more powerful state than our own ceiling, we possess an unquestionable right to use weaker species and beings as we see fit.

I'd have no qualms of harvesting meat from whatever source presented itself.
edit on 10-8-2016 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
To be honest, I thought this would get larger response.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
To be honest, I thought this would get larger response.

...that's what she said.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   

You may have stunned the membership with moral and ethical questions.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

You may have stunned the membership with moral and ethical questions.

Reading may have been a bigger stunner, really.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: BiffWellington

originally posted by: SaturnFX
an alien creature may be sentient and we simply are unaware of how it is communicating

I'd argue that the same goes for all life on Earth.

Come to find out, fruits and vegetables are very advanced species and the vegans are committing atrocities unlike anything imaginable.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: HiddenWaters
This is a very messy ethical dilemna, do you observe or interact? Interaction, in any form, changes evolutionary path. The killing of an organism can change the natural evolutionary outcome, observation from "afar" may even change the trajectory, a very DEEP dilemna indeed.

It's not a dilemma. That is evolution. There will be those that adapter and survive by exploiting thier environment and those that do not. Is man not a product of natural selection and a part of that process. I still don't see what evolution has to do with morals and how you place survival in the term of evil on the way a species developed to survive. Are viruses evil? Wasps that plant their eggs in living insects? Coyote populations that grow and shrink with rabbit populations? Snakes that wipe out species of birds to feed themselves. What is defining that its evil to live out of nature and hunt?

If our species was seeded from another planet, then what evil in your mind have we already created?

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Our carnivorous behavior is well documented in our tree of life.

So, yes, we have shown we will eat anything to get the protein we crave.
We have much less empathy for the mostly carbs of lower life forms like grains, fruits and veggies, and I believe so on another planet as well.

I think we would justify it as "The natural order of our species" .. IMO

Meat is a favorite food item of Chimps

Gorilla's eat monkeys?

BTW: Brings up that nasty though about what E.T. eats, if it is here.
edit on 10-8-2016 by charlyv because: content

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

I read on many threads ET will not interact with us do to our food choices. I didn't know all aliens that evolved to space travel were developed in an environment where competition for resources were nonexistent. Or so lacking of understanding of our evolutionary process?

Just as a note, I do believe in good stewardship and husbandry. I also believe that is not from evolution but spirituality. It's sad that the earth is damaged by overhunting AND OVER FARMING. But the masses must be fed. Sorry to shout.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
Our carnivorous behavior is well documented in our tree of life.

So, yes, we have shown we will eat anything to get the protein we crave.
We have much less empathy for the mostly carbs of lower life forms like grains, fruits and veggies, and I believe so on another planet as well.

I think we would justify it as "The natural order of our species" .. IMO

Meat is a favorite food item of Chimps

Gorilla's eat monkeys?

BTW: Brings up that nasty though about what E.T. eats, if it is here.

You have toooooooootally cherry-picked your information, which is typical of pro-meat-eaters. You see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear.

Here is the full quote from the source you cited:

Meat is a favoured food item among chimpanzees, but makes up less than two percent of their overall diet.

Both Chimpanzees and Gorillas are primarily vegetarian.

edit on 10-8-2016 by primespickle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: primespickle

And a diet of meat helped to evolve our intelligence?

www.npr.org...

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Probably best to avoid consumption of fauna and stick to prevalent plant species unless absolutely necessary for survival.

We already have whey and soy for protein needs, other planets probably would have flora that can provide protein as well.
edit on 10-8-2016 by OneGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   

i woul;d be the founding president of PETA :

PEOPLE EATING TASTY ALIENS

posted on Aug, 11 2016 @ 04:52 AM
link   

From what I understand, homo sapiens were the first to use spears for throwing rather than jabbing, thus increasing our ability to kill prey which with all other things being equal would have either killed the hunter or made a safe escape. Given that we as a race were fairly late to the party and have since screwed up an awful lot of the natural world on this planet, I'm not really sure why we would be inclined to do any different on another one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join