It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Claims "Moral Imperative" In Fight Against Ad Blockers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I agree. If sites just used a few basic images for their ads, I wouldn't have a problem with them. But the video ads, autoplay ads, loud ads, click-through ads, intrusive ads, pop-ups, and the (sometimes infected) ads that try to hijack your browser until you click on them? Nope.

Some of the flash ads even have bugs in them and will drain more & more memory until they crash my browser. Screw them too.

There are literally only about 10 sites I've whitelisted for ads, and a few of them are getting annoying too.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
It seems to me that I have heard the "ad blocking is akin to stealing" argument used by the owner of one of my favorite websites.
It is probably just another manifestation of the Mandela Effect though.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: infolurker

#1 Good.
#2 don't blame the websites for their ads, please blame the ad providers.

They choose the content, and it's really really hard as a companies that doesn't make millions to find ad providers that don't ruin your users experience.

The Content Delivery Networks or CDN's are the problem. And adblocking is effectively holding smaller websites hostage and extorting them for money.

(FYI, I am a proponent of adblocking for malicious and annoying CDN's)

~Tenth

It's not my responsibility to go after a CDN! Site owners should be responsible for the content on their sites period!
Why do we want to hold torrent trackers responsible but not CDNs?

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Oh oh. If FB really tries to make me switch off my lovely Adblocker it will be the day I won't come back. Just like with ATS, they have lost their minds, the people on FB are the content. No people, no content, no money...bye bye!

Any website that forces me to switch off my lovely Adblocker or otherwise witholds content, can go on without me. I am from a time were we lived without the internet, so a few stupid websites less won't make a dent in my daily routine or enjoyment of life.

And the illogical argument that websites need the revenue is wearing thin. Nobody wan'ts to stop websites from getting paid for ads. Hey, knock yourself out. What bothers me is that I am forced to look at the darned things.

Guess where I'm going when there are adverts on TV? The toilet. Or I make tea, or I switch to another channel for a few minutes. I NEVER watch TV adverts. By the logic of websites you would have to stay put on the sofa with your ears and eyes wide open or else get your TV turned off.

You know that advertising isn't some sort of god given right, despite of the money you pay. You can certainly try your luck and display your stuff but you can't make people look at them. That is just a risk you have to live with...advertisers.
Instead you blackmail websites to display your cr4p and they pass it on to the readers like good lapdogs.

Get off your high horse advertisers. And those websites that can't exist without advertising...hmmm are you sure? Especially websites that only exist because of their readers.

We own a website, it's one of the oldest one out there and high in ranks, we get advertising but that's where it stops. From where I stand anyone who comes to our site can use any Adlocker they like. We did our bit by putting the adverts out there, the rest is none of my concern.

Ruled by the advertising mafia. Never!

edit on 10-8-2016 by Hecate666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Fact is, if you use them here you're in violation if T&C.

If ATS wants any of their loyal users to care about this at all, then they should start actually moderating and doing it to the benefit of their real user base instead of against it. The same two or three CTR trolls have been running a frigging train on this forum nearly 24/7 since the op began, and yet the moderators have made zero effort to do anything about it except delete the posts of anyone who calls them out, even if you have good evidence. They've made it extremely difficult to enjoy this website anymore.
So when I see ATS whining about ad revenue more and more, I know I'm not alone in thinking "You know what? Good. Burn then, and we will build something better from the ashes."

*THIS POST HAS BEEN DELETED TO PREVENT THREAD DRIFT*
edit on 10-8-2016 by avp251 because: mobile

top topics

<< 1   >>

join