It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think I've had enough of my parents

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

It's not like there's a shortage of assholes or psychos in the world. Especially parents these days. Cut the kid some slack, huh?

It's the internet and you want us to take at face value he is actually a kid? That's asking a lot. I think, considering the media, he's received pretty realist and sympathetic feedback. Everything from "It gets better" to "help out more" to "Grow up". That's a pretty balanced response.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   

a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

What, so you guys are this kid's parents now?

Gonna set him straight?

You came to this conclusion from my advice?

I myself come from a family of underwhelming support. I know how constricting and hopeless it feels. I can also testify that whining on the internet to strangers is not going to accomplish much of anything but ridicule.

Telling the OP to quit moping and find coping mechanisms is too harsh? OP can either benefit from our life experience, or continue to become dependent on attention-seeking behaviors.

Heck, I wish someone told me that when I was that age! Like a parent, or older brother, or someone, you know..

edit on 8-8-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Grounded....he needs to go live with Grannie, in #'sville anywhere. IMHO a spoiled rotten shat of a child.a reply to: JetBlackStare

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

What, so you guys are this kid's parents now?

Gonna set him straight?

Get over yourselves.

I look at it this way ... what are the odds that he actually does have truly psychotic parents over there being a simple misunderstanding between parents and child arising from the typical issues that come from being a teenager?

I was ready to explode and toss my own parents to the curb too at that age; there were times I was even sure they were the problem and not my own emotional/hormonal/developmental state.

I look back now and realize that wasn't true, and I look at my precious 5-year-old and understand that someday, he is likely going to be in this kid's shoes. Does that mean I am psychotic and so is my husband?

What we're all doing here is playing the odds somewhat based on what we all know typically happens to most kids when they reach this age.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Killer advice from someone who still lives with their parents: Just Listen To Them

I remember when I was a teenager I would believe with all my heart and soul that I was 100% right and that they were paranoid, schizo freaks who only ever wanted to put me and my dreams down. My mom wouldn't let us even walk down the street alone, and now as a young adult she still doesn't want me to. Difference now? I don't argue about it.

As you grow you experience more things, obviously, and you grow.

Example - my mom never let me hangout in town with my "friends." Now? the death rate because of heroin is insane, people in and out of rehab for all types of things, all kinds of crimes and just daily stupidity... Pretty much every single person my mom warned me about fits into that bubble. As a young adult I thank my mom all the time for limiting me and being tough on me about the company I keep.

The dog not being allowed inside? Do you know how dog fur works? It. Get's. Everywhere. Your mom wasn't acting like a "retard" about it - she worked hard for that place and she works hard to keep it free of dog fur, mites, ticks, flea's, etc.

Your dad's mood swings? Maybe he is a dick, but then again maybe he didn't grow up with an easy life like you've had (compared) and that's just how he is now. I know my parents busted their ASSES for what we all have now. They'd go days on end with no food, working paycheck to paycheck, dealing with all types of abuse and stress. I used to think they hated me. Now I see that they want nothing but the best for me. They want me to be realistic and grounded - and I'm sure your parents do, too.

((their stress could also be because they're probably the one's who are going to pay your tuition where ever you go - but they'll be proud of you))

Get thicker skin - prove anyone who doubts your abilities wrong.

Don't disrespect your parents - they're your PARENTS. They literally live for their children. They want nothing but the best for you and love you more than you can ever imagine loving someone or thing at this point in your life.

Keep an open mind - they are people, too. They are affected by what happens during their work day or what have you - they're human, too. They aren't invincible and they aren't heartless. You disrespecting them hurts them.

Keep your head up, okay? This time you have with your parents is precious. They aren't immortal. Cherish what you have, okay? Never take it for granted. And good luck. Your feelings are just as valid as the next persons, just don't let it all get to you.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
When I got sick of my parents I made plans to move out. Never went back.

Until you can afford to pay your own way and run your own household, you must obey the rules in the one you're in. That's just how life is.

I get you are feeling down right now but trust me it all passes.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   
One question.
You havent reached puberty yet have you?

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: lazyfortress

I sent you a PM buddy, I've been in similar shoes before. Ultimately it comes down to playing the game, following your parents rules even if you hate the rules and think or even know that they are ridiculous. Its all a part of growing up, figuring out who you are, and how you want to lead your life, and then doing what you need to do to get that freedom, and live apart from your parents.

I really know what its like to feel miserable in your parents house and just wanting that freedom. Wanting to make your own rules, make your own successes and mistakes.

The PM I sent you is (I think) a little more heartfelt than this post, but I saw how harsh some of the (probably older) members have responded...... They aren't necessarily wrong, but could have certainly said it in a more gentle and easier to follow manner. Don't take it too personally, we all go through the same or similar things growing up. Sometimes its hard for people to remember what it was like when they went through it, and some people just deal with it better than others.

I did not deal with my parents rules so well either.

So I sent you the PM, I hope you read it, I hope you will use everything in this thread to decide how you want to shape your future.

It will be okay. Breathe, take things slow. You're in a transitional stage of your life, of course its going to be rough.

-Alee
edit on 8/9/2016 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: lazyfortress
a reply to: Baldryck
You don't understand. My dad gets mad for no apparent reason. Yes, I know the dog was my fault.

Listen, man, my son (turns 13 next month) always claims that I get mad for no reason, too. You know what...I can see that reality from his point of view, but from mine, there are myriad reasons as to why I sometimes loose my cool with that kid (the main one being that he never fixes the behavior that his mother and I both explain to him on a nearly daily basis are not appropriate behaviors).

My point being that, until you are of age to be emotionally fully matured (which, if you're still in high school, you are not even close, yet), you may never understand they "why" behind a lot of things that your parents do in regards to you or your behavior, or even their expectations of you. But generally speaking, parents have the best interest of their kids at heart, even if they may be incorrect about what they're doing.

Have you ever asked to sit down with them and air your grievances with them? If not, you should, and if you do, you MUST have an open mind and ear and actually listen without constantly being defensive. Just getting things out in the open may do wonders, but it must be done in a mature way without a lot of yelling and name calling and emotional responses.

Good luck--you're going through what nearly every teenager does.

Oh, and keep your dog outside...it's not hard.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   

No sympathy from me, quit yer bitchin' or move out, their house, their rules.
I left home aged 16, slept on the streets for 6 months through winter until I could pull my # together.

Young people these days sheesh, soft as kittens, whining on the internet about the lamest first world problems.
I grieve for society with the next generation.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
So I log into my computer to see how basically everyone on ATS hates me and thinks how much of a ******* I am. Jesus Christ. My parents aren't psychos. I over-exaggerated yesterday. My dog is fine. My mom doesn't want the house to be dirty. We don't want the house to stink of crap and piss. We bring her inside when we have to. I'm getting really fed up right now.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
duplicate post
edit on Tue Aug 9 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
All of you, get your stinking crap together. You guys remind me of those seagulls at beaches. I get it. You all say how much of a ******** I am. Ok. I get it. I don't need you to tell me 100 times what I already know. Get your act together. This isn't a bash fest to put down someone just because you had a bad day. I'm getting really fed up with getting mistreated on any forum. I already had to deal with two previous forums. I don't want to have to deal with a second forum. Got it? Most of you all are complaining about me because... Well, just to complain. Stinkin' sour pusses.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand
Quit your whining and focus on your own darned life. People like you had no childhood. Stop your bickering.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Lol, I'll reply to whichever thread I like thanks.
Petulant child type topics amuse me the most, so thank you.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand
I don't give a damn what thread you post on. Get some common sense. Adults who act like teenagers and won't stop their damn bickering amuse me the most, so thank you.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

It seems we are mutually beneficial to each others amusement then.
A most excellent situation.

*Edit*
Apologies for the cheers/pint/beer icon if you are not old enough to drink yet.
The age limit is 18 here in the UK.
edit on 9.8.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
All you guys bashing this kid, please give him a break. He is acting just like a typical 13-year-old. The difference is, he is doing it very publicly on an internet forum. When I was 13, I couldn't stand my parents either. I remember one specific incident when my mom wouldn't let me do something, or punished me for doing something... I can't remember what exactly. I went into my closet and carved into the wall "I HATE my mother!" What a stupid thing to do, but that was me - a typical hormonal, mood swinging, grumpy, temperamental 13-year-old. When I moved out as a young adult, I saw what I had done in that closet, and felt really bad about it. I tried to fix it so my mom wouldn't see it.

As a 56-year-old adult, my parents and I are very close. I have a 14 - soon to be 15-year-old daughter and I dread going into her closet right now.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: lazyfortress
So I log into my computer to see how basically everyone on ATS hates me and thinks how much of a ******* I am. Jesus Christ. My parents aren't psychos. I over-exaggerated yesterday. My dog is fine. My mom doesn't want the house to be dirty. We don't want the house to stink of crap and piss. We bring her inside when we have to. I'm getting really fed up right now.

as you get older, you will see that sharing your personal life with the world creates feedback that you will not enjoy.

My advice: vent to humans. not the internet. Cuz the stink on the internet is there forever.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
All you guys bashing this kid, please give him a break. He is acting just like a typical 13-year-old. The difference is, he is doing it very publicly on an internet forum. When I was 13, I couldn't stand my parents either. I remember one specific incident when my mom wouldn't let me do something, or punished me for doing something... I can't remember what exactly. I went into my closet and carved into the wall "I HATE my mother!" What a stupid thing to do, but that was me - a typical hormonal, mood swinging, grumpy, temperamental 13-year-old. When I moved out as a young adult, I saw what I had done in that closet, and felt really bad about it. I tried to fix it so my mom wouldn't see it.

As a 56-year-old adult, my parents and I are very close. I have a 14 - soon to be 15-year-old daughter and I dread going into her closet right now.

the thing about putting your problems on a discussion board: you get opinions you don't want.

You can't blame the internet for doing what the internet does, or expect the internet to change for one, lone soul. THe better bet is advise said lone soul to work within what the internet does.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join