It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think I've had enough of my parents

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude
Doppler, APQ-180 (AC-130 I think), and I think that's just about all I know about C-130 radar. Would transport radar be one? Pratt & Whittney makes the engines I do believe.

ADF I have no clue.

Now for Augustus:
"5,280 Feet in the Air Club?"
Round it to 5000.

I don't know much on radar. But I can name all of the C-130 variants. HC-130 (Search and Rescue), (A)C-130A (three-bladed props), (A)C-130H and later generations (four bladed props) , MC-130 (special operations, low level penetration), LC-130(New York National Guard/Research. Has special ice landing modifications for the gear). The AC-130 is for heavy attack. EC-130 is for electronic warfare. WC-130 is for weather.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: lazyfortress
Did I miss anything? How much did I get correct?

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Not mine, but I think my humor is going over your young head.

Network may have got it. Maybe.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: booyakasha

Sometimes you have to take the opportunity to be the bigger person, don't yell back, and lead by example.

You proved my point about ATS being a good place to come for "words of wisdom"!

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: lazyfortress
Definitely.

Now quiz me, all of you!

Fine.. Fine...

What Is the Airspeed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow?

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck
A what? I have no clue. A swallow is a pretty fast bird, so I'm gonna estimate it at 75 feet/second.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Wrong. He meant a African Swallow.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
-___-

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I gotta go. My mom wants me to get off the computer.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

a reply to: StallionDuck
A what? I have no clue. A swallow is a pretty fast bird, so I'm gonna estimate it at 75 feet/second.

The correct answer is

But...

For the real info, which I'm not interested in...

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Doppler, APQ-180 (AC-130 I think), and I think that's just about all I know about C-130 radar. Would transport radar be one?

APN-59, APQ-122, APN 241.

Pratt & Whittney makes the engines I do believe.

Allyson. The engine is a T-56.
en.wikipedia.org...

ADF I have no clue.

Automatic Directional Finder. It's a big old black box with tubes in it. The functionality is it tunes into at least three known AM radio stations and triangulates the location based on that information. there are many newer, higher tech systems that do the same thing, much better, but it never hurts to have a tried and true backup to verify things.
Here is some USAF advise. Never trust your recruiter. Sign up for 4 years at the start. Only 4.
No matter where you are, there are some cool things to find and do, make the best of wherever you are.

Now for Augustus:
"5,280 Feet in the Air Club?"
Round it to 5000.

It's called the mile high club. Don't bother looking into that for a few years. he should be ashamed of himself.

I don't know much on radar. But I can name all of the C-130 variants. HC-130 (Search and Rescue), (A)C-130A (three-bladed props), (A)C-130H and later generations (four bladed props) , MC-130 (special operations, low level penetration), LC-130(New York National Guard/Research. Has special ice landing modifications for the gear). The AC-130 is for heavy attack. EC-130 is for electronic warfare. WC-130 is for weather.

I worked on C-130's so I have a special place in my heart for that bird. Good luck with life. And if nothing else, remember this, no matter how bad things seem right now, they get better quickly. Then you get an entire new set of problems to face. It's what makes life fun.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I gotta go. My mom wants me to get off the computer.

Don't listen!!!!!! Tell her that you know better and more computer time is just what you need!

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
he should be ashamed of himself.

He should.

But I thought we could give him 'the talk' and have it revolve around planes and stuff. Make it more interesting.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Wait, your parents allow you to have a dog, but the dog is not allowed indoors? Do they insist on your dog living outside?
That's not cool.

Other than that, if you don't agree with your parents rules, you have to negotiate and compromise in an adult fashion, not just break them and hope for the best.

For example " I will bathe the dog once a week and vaccuum the whole house once a day if you allow the dog to come inside. I will do these chores for one month in advance to prove that I can keep up with it before the dog is allowed in."
edit on 8-8-2016 by eeyipes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I know neither you nor your parents and can judge neither. (Nor should I.) I can only share my own experience with (at least one) overbearing and domineering parent.

My father was an angry, controlling, frankly abusive individual. Especially when he drank. He would say and do horrendous things. He filled my and my mother's life with fear. We were always on egg shells. When he got home, we would immediately tense up. "What's he going to be like tonight?" This is, of course, a cliche. Everyone knows the dynamics of this all too common scenario. When it got bad enough, we finally had to leave. It was no longer safe.

When we did, I harbored profound resentment towards him for many, many years. Well into adulthood. He too was an, "I'm always right, you're always wrong" sort. Any time I would attempt to express my own knowledge about any subject, he felt compelled to display superior knowledge... even when he was factually wrong. He has the perpetual need to dominate, and to control. And if you attempted to show him - however gently or politely - that he might be in error or that his actions or attitude were perhaps damaging or hurtful, he would ramp up the domineering tone, anger, and desire to control until you simply had no choice but to submit. Especially since he was an eloquent speaker when he wanted to be, and even when you were in the right, he could make you feel about an inch tall compared to him.

Decades later however, I have matured significantly and developed a completely different perspective of him. Nothing can excuse how he treated us back then, but I do understand it now. He was a veteran. He had (has) severe (now largely controlled) PTSD. He self medicated. He had injuries which his ego never let him show made him vulnerable, but which caused him significant pain at all times. He had suffered profound, traumatic loss before meeting my mother and long before I had been born. Comrades in arms, as well as a previous wife and child. Their entire home destroyed with them in it.

That is a pain and a constant source of fear I can scarcely imagine. Then you have to add to that the fact that, whatever his other sins, he served his country dutifully and was honorably discharged following his wounds and injuries. While I couldn't in my youth, today I must respect him for that. He is also from a considerably older generation; one which taught him that displaying vulnerability and sensitivity were not only undesirable in a man, but profoundly wrong and even disordered. He himself was also abused as a child, it turns out.

So in time, while nothing can excuse abuse - ever - I have found it within myself to forgive and understand the true nature of his behavior and the reasons for it. And to love him - deeply - in spite of the wrongs he did to us. We have a very healthy and much deeper relationship and appreciation for one another now than we ever did in years past. It is a significant challenge for me to not experience my own PTSD-like flashbacks triggered when he begins to raise his voice or lose his temperament... but now I can remind myself, he's not that same intimidating adult, and I'm not the same defenseless child. He's an old, very sick (honestly he may not live much longer) man, carrying a huge amount of (both new and old) suffering, trying to make it through his days.

I say all of this only to encourage you to do something earlier than I ever could; see your parents as human beings who can and probably do suffer their own pains, fears, frustrations, and anxieties. Theirs may or may not be less significant than my father's. In which case, I would hope you are truly thankful that things aren't worse. And I know it can be hard - when you are their child and under their sole discretion - but things could be much worse. And I know that, behind all your frustration and resentment, they love you. And you love them. While I know you have already acknowledged this (or something much like it) earlier in this thread, I also know you will grow in that understanding as you age.

I would also suggest considering the possibility that your desire to "prove your worth" with regard to your aviation knowledge may be a manifestation of feelings of insecurity fostered by being "smacked down" (rhetorically speaking) every time you attempt to prove your knowledge to your father. I suffered with that for a long, long time, too. The need to feel special, gifted, intelligent etc. in others' eyes. Trust me: while you seem very intelligent and knowledgeable, you will be much happier if you learn to value yourself without needing others' validation. Loving yourself without needing to prove yourself to others (though there's nothing wrong with that if you truly want to of course,) also makes it far easier to forgive and to love others. Including your parents.

This is all just my own unsolicited advice based on my own experiences in life. Your life is different, and your own. Take it for what you will! I wish you peace and fulfillment in your life!

Peace.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Hi again.

Fun exercises to improve home environment:

Find a minimum of one thing to be grateful for every day and one thing to appreciate your parents for everyday.

If you have chores you are supposed to do, make sure it gets done without them telling you to do it, and even think of ways you can help them out (like your mom comes in with heavy grocery bags, take them from her and ask if there are more to carry in, then do it if needed. It will be noticed!)

Try engaging them in a conversation about what is important to them and practice really listening like you would want someone to listen to you.

They are just human beings with both awesome qualities and flaws. Chances are they are stressed out for their own reasons and have their own ups and downs they are dealing with on top of having a teenager.

You can help by actively participating in the day to day running of the house. Try this for a few weeks and then tell me what happens...

(PS: when you are on your own you will be responsible for TONS more than you are now, so doing what is asked or more than what is asked is still a fraction of what you will have to do when you live on your own. )

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Uh... What's the "Talk"?

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

My account for roblox just got compromised. So I have that going for me. Aaand my dad is home. I do appreciate what my parents have done for me, but I've had enough of their mood swings.

If they are having mood swings, there is a very good reason for that. What those reasons are, none of us know including you.

Try to spend time doing what you like and hopefully things will eventually fall into place. You are fortunate to still have your parents and you don't want to do or say anything you might regret if something should happen to one of them.

I have seen so many families torn apart and find it very sad as many of those relationships can be fixed. Not all, but many. Give them a bit of space and respect their rules about not having a dog in the house. I hope things turn out well for you.
edit on 8-8-2016 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: eeyipes
Yeah. It's a German Shepherd.

"I will bathe the dog once a week and vaccuum the whole house once a day if you allow the dog to come inside. I will do these chores for one month in advance to prove that I can keep up with it before the dog is allowed in."
Ha! I wish that could work.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Now what is "The Talk"? Augustus said it could revolve around aircraft. So what is it?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join