It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Nebraska delicacy - the Runza

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Hey guys. I've been thinking about making these again after reading Tiny's recipe yesterday.

The Runza (or Bierock) is really popular in Nebraska. There's even a fast food chain dedicated to it.

As a bonus, they're really easy to make at home.

The ingredients:
Frozen bread dough - one pkg
Ground beef - pound and a half
Cabbage - one head finely shredded
Onion - whole onion finely chopped
Whatever other filling you like (cheese, mushrooms, etc...)

Oven at 350°

Thaw the bread dough according to the directions on the package.
Cook down the ground beef, then add the cabbage and onions and cook those down with it.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Roll out the dough. I do it in smaller sections since it's easier to work with.
Make a rectangle out of the dough - about 6 x 8 inches - you can make them any size or shape you like.
Put some of the filling on the center part of the dough.
Add whatever additional toppings you like.
Pinch the edges of the dough together to completely enclose the filling. When mine are finished, they're about 6" x 3" before baking.

Bake on a cookie sheet until the bread is golden brown. Don't put them too close together or they'll fuse together.

Enjoy!

I like to dip them in a little yellow mustard.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: bbarkow
Runza's are great!
You can get them shipped frozen to the East Coast.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Ah, the Runza! I miss that place! Going back to visit in Sept. and will be showing the wife the joys of this delicious little morsel.

Now my mouth is watering. . .

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Ah, Runza. The restaurant so named because it's so greasy you have to Runza to the nearest restroom half an hour after eating there. I hate onions so I never could eat anything there except for the burgers. Used to make my own Runzas minus the onion with a lot of mushrooms and cheese.
It's too hot outside to make hem now. This fall maybe...

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Runza's are great!

That's right, you're a PA guy, too. Did you transplant from Nebraska? Or just spend some time there?
I'm surprised they don't have a Runza or two out here with all of the German volk. It would probably go over well in quite a few areas. Maybe out by York and Lancaster...if I had the money, I'd try to bring a franchise out here.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

Runza's are great!

That's right, you're a PA guy, too. Did you transplant from Nebraska? Or just spend some time there?
I'm surprised they don't have a Runza or two out here with all of the German volk. It would probably go over well in quite a few areas. Maybe out by York and Lancaster...if I had the money, I'd try to bring a franchise out here.

My ex-wife was born in Nebraska. I went there to visit her family in Omaha. I really liked the Runza. There isn't really anything quite like it here in PA.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

There isn't really anything quite like it here in PA.

Well there is now - as soon as you whip up a batch.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Lived in Lincoln, NE many years ago. Loved Runzas! I've been told that, like many food joints, it's gone downhill
and they're not that good anymore.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Anyone familiar with the Bronco's Burgers restaurants in Omaha?
I also took in Anthony's Steakhouse while I was there.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Broncos have the ultimate gut-bomb cheeseburgers. They're fantastic. Also, the Big Bronco is great. It's their version of the Big Mac.

Did you like Anthony's? I had one of the best steaks ever at Anthony's.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I also took in Anthony's Steakhouse while I was there.

Anthony's is fantastic. One of the best steakhouse's I have visited in my travels.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
What's the place by Sidney? Ole's? not bad from what I remember. I lived in North Platte and Kearney for the better part of a decade.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

Broncos have the ultimate gut-bomb cheeseburgers. They're fantastic. Also, the Big Bronco is great. It's their version of the Big Mac.

Did you like Anthony's? I had one of the best steaks ever at Anthony's.

Anthony's was the best steak I have had in a restaurant.
Bronco's was good. I am glad that I took it in while I was out there.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
we've made these since i was a kid. My favorite "dipping sauce" for them is home made ranch. Just buy the packet, some mayo, and some buttermilk.

I also put some cheddar inside mine before throwing in the oven.

Great food.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Runza's are great!

I live out that way in Lebanon county (PA), they have similar things they sell at the farmers market on the weekends.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

Runza's are great!

I live out that way in Lebanon county (PA), they have similar things they sell at the farmers market on the weekends.

Don't know Lebanon county. I'm in southern Chester County myself. Right in the armpit. I work in Maryland and am about five miles from the borders of Delaware and Maryland. Right by Ceciltucky...that's where I work.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Thank You, I didn't realize they were so easy to make. My dad's family in Colorado are German and when I was a kid the elder women called them krautburgers. I think they added fennel seed or something like that. Do you have any idea what that spice might have been?

edit on 8-8-2016 by ezramullins because: sp

edit on 8-8-2016 by ezramullins because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear
I'm north of you and east of Harrisburg right on the other side of Lancaster county along 897 and 501

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Schaefferstown?

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
No Lebanon the city

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join