It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Alternative to Donald Trump - Independent Conservative Candidate - Evan McMullin

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
There's a lot of talk this morning, started by Joe Scarborough, about a late-comer, who is a well-funded, Independent conservative candidate, with the hope of giving conservatives an alternative to Donald Trump... Evan McMullin. He says a Donald Trump's America would be a police state.

Of course, he's already missed a few filing deadlines, but with enough cash, he could get on the air and become well-known in the next few months.

Source

Numerous sources confirmed today that Evan McMullin is mounting an Independent presidential bid to challenge Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.

McMullin was little-known before MSNBC anchor Joe Scarborough broke the story.

So, who is Evan McMullin? He was in the CIA for 11 years, worked for Goldman Sachs, and he defended the Khan family against Trump:

“Managed clandestine operations related to counterterrorism, counterinsurgency, energy, political stability, and counterintelligence, while serving mostly in hostile environments.”
“As someone who served our nation in war, I find Donald Trump’s religious attacks on Ghazala Khan, the mother of a fallen U.S. soldier, profoundly despicable. Her son gave everything for our country and she, like thousands of other American mothers, has also made a painful lifelong sacrifice. No one who fails to understand this is fit to be our commander-in-chief.”

"As Donald Trump continues attacking Muslims and as a former CIA officer, I’d like all Americans to know the truth: American and other Muslims have played a central role in virtually every counterterrorism win we’ve had since 9/11. They are an indispensable asset in this fight. Attacking them as a group makes America weaker, not stronger.”

It sounds like he's got Trump's number...

Authoritarians like @realDonaldTrump use promises of law & order to justify infringing on civil rights as they consolidate control by force.

Raw Story

But, can he get on the ballot? Perhaps he can get on the ballot in 20 red states... he could throw this election to Hillary.

Source

In Evan McMullin's case, late might not be better than never. If the anti-Trump conservative, former CIA agent, and chief policy director of the House Republican Conference goes ahead with his reported plan Monday to launch an independent presidential bid, he'll already have missed the deadline to get on the ballot in half of the nation's 50 states
To get back on the ballot in those states, ABC News reported, McMullin's campaign will "likely have to sue" — and if he misses all seven of the Aug. 10 deadlines, he'll be off the ballot in more states than he's on it. But as Quartz reporter Tim Fernholz pointed out, McMullin could conceivably block the reliably red state of Utah from tilting Trump
He's expected to announce a formal bid himself Monday.

We shall see... But this election gets more interesting and entertaining all the time.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

This man have not chances this late in the election year, I have no clue who he is so he will not have my vote at all.

edit on 8-8-2016 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

In other words - yet another attempt to hand the election to Hillary.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Personally, nothing could be more wrong than another well funded ex-CIA conservative. The last one pulled the trigger in 93 and the whole damn planet is still dealing with the fallout.

I'm 100% for 3rd party, just not 'out of the frying pan and into the fire' alternatives.
edit on 8-8-2016 by Sublimecraft because: beer

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
"well funded, ex-CIA, worked for Goldman Sachs"

Ok, so he's an establishment hack then. Might as well vote for Clinton if you vote for this clown.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
We finally get a candidate who isn't a life-long politician and isn't owned by special interests and big banks in Trump. Why would you want an alternative??

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

Possibly, but barring an extraordinary event, I think Hillary already has this election, so even if it were to happen, it would only change the outcome from a close race to a landslide for her, which is what a lot of republicans want. They want to teach Trump (and any other authoritarian hopefuls for the future) that they cannot take over the GOP.

originally posted by: Ohanka
Ok, so he's an establishment hack then. Might as well vote for Clinton if you vote for this clown.

And I think that's the idea... If establishment republicans can't bring themselves to vote for or support Trump, and plan to stay home, because Clinton is out of the question, this gives them someone they can vote for.

originally posted by: jjkenobi
We finally get a candidate who isn't a life-long politician and isn't owned by special interests and big banks in Trump. Why would you want an alternative??

The GOP wants an alternative. They can see how a Trump presidency would ruin the party and damage the country.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   

The GOP wants an alternative. They can see how a Trump presidency would ruin the party and damage the country.

Do you honestly believe this crap?

They don't want Trump presidency, because he's a threat to establishment. And considering both they and their Democratic buddies are working for the same people, it's completely understandable why are they trying to sabotage Trump from the very beginning.

Same thing happened to Bernie, till he proved himself to be a good asset to establishment.

That leaves us only with Trump.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Seems Evan McMullin has announced. He seems like a pretty solid conservative...

Former CIA Officer Launches Bid

Evan McMullin, a former CIA counterterrorism officer, will run for president as a third-party conservative alternative to Donald Trump, GOP operatives working to back the candidate told ABC News today.
It's an extreme uphill climb, but they are confident McMullin, 40, can act as a disruptor who they hope can peel off some red states in a race where some Republicans are still resistant to Donald Trump.

McMullin served as a Mormon missionary in Brazil and volunteer refugee resettlement officer in Amman, Jordan, on behalf of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. On Sept. 11, 2001, he was in training at CIA Headquarters in Langley, Virginia. He completed his training and volunteered for overseas service in the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia, spearheading counterterrorism and intelligence operations in some of the most dangerous nations, according to the group.

“In a year where Americans have lost faith in the candidates of both major parties, it’s time for a generation of new leadership to step up. It’s never too late to do the right thing, and America deserves much better than either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton can offer us. I humbly offer myself as a leader who can give millions of disaffected Americans a conservative choice for President.”

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: BlueAjah

Possibly, but barring an extraordinary event, I think Hillary already has this election, so even if it were to happen, it would only change the outcome from a close race to a landslide for her, which is what a lot of republicans want. They want to teach Trump (and any other authoritarian hopefuls for the future) that they cannot take over the GOP.

originally posted by: Ohanka

And I think that's the idea... If establishment republicans can't bring themselves to vote for or support Trump, and plan to stay home, because Clinton is out of the question, this gives them someone they can vote for.

But I thought everyone hated the GOP? If they don't want Trump, isn't that a GOOD thing? Yet another positive for Trump.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I love it when leftists tell conservatives whom to vote for as if they really want to help us get what we actually want. It's cute.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
This will give a lot of conservative GOP's a way out. They do not want to vote for Trump and they do not want to vote for Clinton. Even with Trumps latest attempt to tow the GOP line and his line up new Wall Street donors/advisers (remember when Trump was trying to be anti establishment?) to many bridges have been burned.

While in the over all election Trump's failure in the battle ground states has made winning the election nearly impossible, the big effect of this will be red states where Trump is weak Georgia, Texas, Utah, and Arizona. It also gives the GOP a chance to do some damage control in the house and senate. Hey we know you hate Trump but, here is the real conservative guy you can vote for and while your voting make sure you vote GOP in the other races. That is where the GOP is really worried.

GOP super packs have been preparing ads that basically say, Clinton is going to be President so you have to at least go out and vote to keep her from winning the house and senate.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Sorry, but Johnson has a better chance of getting that vote than this guy no one knows or will ever hear of does. People at least know of Johnson and the names who have endorsed him already from the GOP.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Lol worked in the cia and Goldman sachs lol. Yea that guy is trustable. We need to get rid of crony capitalism not vote it in. All the candidates suck and I feel things are only going to get worse.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Exactly. The establishment GOP has been looking all along for someone, anyone, that could possibly absorb the large group of voters (R, D and I) who don't like either major candidate.

I think it's too late to change the outcome of the election, but they can send Trump a message. If he loses in a close race, well, FOX News needs a new head. But if he loses in a landslide (losing Utah, Arizona and Texas), his career will be over. I think that's what the establishment wants.

After the two conventions, independents started to lean toward Hillary and then, Donald drove them away in droves with his attacks on the Khan family. It's not like people are going to forget and forgive that debacle, even if Trump starts "acting presidential".

Video - McMullin is Very Impressive
edit on 8/8/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

He has missed the paperwork deadline for Independent candidates in Texas which was May 9. So he can't even officially be on the ballot there.

And plenty of states also have really high numbers of signatures that will have to be gathered to even get him on the ballot and there is very little time.

Did you miss the part where NO ONE knows him at all?

And, of course, if Romney's Mormonism was made into an issue last cycle ... this guy's is likewise going to be an issue. He has served on his own Mormon mission, and you don't generally do that without being Mormon. So if he gains any traction, the press will trot that out there.

So, well, it's just a bunch of sad, sad people in denial wasting their money on someone who is playing along and likely destroying his career at the same time.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Because Trump is a bloviating orange pustule who lies like a cheap rug?

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I think it's great to run a guy that nobody has heard of them blame Trump for the Hillary win! Why do they want Hillary to win is it because they control her??

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Because Trump is a bloviating orange pustule who lies like a cheap rug?

For a second there, I thought you were talking about Hillary.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

He has missed the paperwork deadline for Independent candidates in Texas which was May 9. So he can't even officially be on the ballot there.

And plenty of states also have really high numbers of signatures that will have to be gathered to even get him on the ballot and there is very little time.

Did you miss the part where NO ONE knows him at all?

As you say, the deadline for independent candidates getting on the ballot in Texas has passed, but this Texas Tribune article notes that there is precedent for having early deadlines like the one in Texas thrown out in court. John Anderson, who ran as an independent 1980, sued to have Ohio’s early deadline ruled unlawful. McMullin could do the same in Texas.

Whether there is still time for him and his team to do so is another question. He would, in Texas alone, need to mount a legal challenge and gather signatures from 79,939 voters, all in the 91 days remaining before the election.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join