It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Much is the CBC paying YouTube to promote its Olympics Videos?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I visited YouTube this morning and clicked on the "Popular" page to see if there were any new viral videos that I might enjoy. YouTube has changed, by my notice at least, lately, and the popular page rarely features the kind of weird viral snippets of video that used to get attention there. Now it is filled mostly with videos from high production value and big name YouTube channels, I can't argue thT there videos aren't popular, even if I don't watch them, they just aren't what I used to look for on the trending/popular page.

This morning, though, the popular page is filled with barely watched entries from CBC Sports highlighting the Rio Olympics. I wonder how much this publicly funded broadcaster is paying Google to promote these videos. Here in Canada, the summer Olympics...well, we're just not that great at the summer Olympic events, as a nation, we don't really tune in like we do for the Winter Olympics.

Is everyone else seeing this Olympics push on their YouTube page from their local sports channels? In Canada we have pretty strict rules about paid advertising being labelled as sponsored content, but YouTube is an American platform, so the rules aren't the same.

Personally, I'm a supporter of transparent advertising, so this kind of thing annoys me. Maybe it's just me though.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
The Olympics is a huge global event.. every outlet will be jumping on it at the moment. YouTube will get many hits purely on the Olympics alone. Of course they will be recomend in videos regarding the Olympics, it's a no brainer.
And naturally they will be trending because of the massive interest in the event. .
edit on 8/8/16 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Hey look what I just made, the colours match n stuff......

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   
That's what happens when a company sells out. That's also what happens when Google takes over your website, it's not what the public consumers want to see it's what the highest bidders want to shove down your throat and make you want to see.

top topics

join