It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A world gone mad. Man shot dead while playing Pokémon Go in San Francisco

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
This was a thread about Zimmerman punching someone.
What just happened.

Mandela Effect.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I have to agree with the members who have opined that this is a crime issue, not a game issue. I actually have to give kudos to Niantic for this one; where other games keep the player sitting on the couch, this one at least gets them out of the house.

My son and I both play (him more than me), and it's a good excuse to spend time together. Somehow we both ended up as Red team members. Go, Team Valor!

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
A boy almost ran into me today while playing Pokemon Go.
My kids say they are observing a very positive and big change in society (at least at their age group) because it has made everyone go outside and socialize.

A couple days ago, I stepped out on our veranda during a violent storm in the night. It was pouring rain and lightning flashed, and my 28 year old son was standing at the doorway, looking out anxiously.

What are you doing? I asked.
"There's a Pokemon outside, just out in front of the neighbors.." he said. He actually considered going out there, despite the storm! Feel really old, because this doesn't make sense to me.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma
A couple days ago, I stepped out on our veranda during a violent storm in the night. It was pouring rain and lightning flashed, and my 28 year old son was standing at the doorway, looking out anxiously.

"There's a Pokemon outside, just out in front of the neighbors.." he said. He actually considered going out there, despite the storm! Feel really old, because this doesn't make sense to me.

If he can see exactly where it is, he can catch it without moving any further. He's a bit slow if he considered running out into the storm.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Still safer than Chicago!

Weekend of Death

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

originally posted by: Bluesma

If he can see exactly where it is, he can catch it without moving any further. He's a bit slow if he considered running out into the storm.

There was an exact map of current pokemon locations on pokevision.com

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I wish news stories would always include what items were on the person killed.

Man killed with half an ice cream cone left. Are thugs targeting brain frozen individuals?

Man killed with tennis racket and tennis balls 5 blocks from tennis court. Are thugs targeting physically worn out individuals?

Man killed with wearing sandals. Are thugs targeting individuals wearing footwear that one cannot run in?

Man killed with a box of condoms. Are thugs targeting individuals who are too busy about getting some? See what can you do to protect yourself at 11.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I took my lunch break today at a pokemon hot spot. People everywhere were talking to each other. I struck up a conversation with two groups of strangers about a Picachu I'd just caputered. LOL.

If nothing else, the game gives guys a new way to pick up girls. I saw a group of young women walking down the street with the phones out, and a carload of boys drove by, one of them sticking his head out the window and shouting, "Go team Valor!" The girls shouted, "Team Valor!," while one stray girl in the group meekly shouted, "Go Mystic."

LOL.
edit on 8-8-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rapha

originally posted by: SaturnFX
seems like gang initiation. gotta kill someone to join kind of thing.

Or initiation for a Christian warrior to terminate the host body containing all those little virtual world demons.

Pokemon is 'pocket mon(ster)' so a crazy religious guy could be wiping out assumed possessed humans, according to what their handler has ordered them to do.

If that were the case, the religious nutjob would have claimed the killing and explained why it had to happen I would think. cant lie and all that.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
what i dont understand is why they didnt repurpose the google glasses for exactly this application. Pokemon Go(ggles) would have been a smash success if google had teamed up with nintendo or whoever. that way you could still look around at your environment and still see whatever you are following or looking for. huge marketing opportunity they missed.
edit on 8-8-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
what i dont understand is why they didnt repurpose the google glasses for exactly this application. Pokemon Go(ggles) would have been a smash success if google had teamed up with nintendo or whoever. that way you could still look around at your environment and still see whatever you are following or looking for. huge marketing opportunity they missed.

A similar thing could be done with a combination of Smart-Phones and VR goggles. Specifically, I'm thinking of the Samsung Galaxy phones and the Samsung Gear VR. I honestly think this is the future, as the Gear VR is only 100 bucks (75 on sale).

Although the Google glasses would be a lot less embarrassing to wear in public.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Caught this on the local news while getting ready for work this morning. The news reported that he was from the East Coast and had no known enemies, interesting he is from San Mateo (just south of San Francisco on the Peninsula) and not from back East as they stated this morning.

There was a random shooting in the Fishermans Wharf area last year, someone was arrested for that crime.

There has to be more to this story, can't imagine that it really has anything to do with Pokemon Go...but you never know.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Weird yes...but not as strange as Dan White killing Harvey Mike at lunch time in city hall...stranger still Lana, Vicki and I had dinner with hm a few days before...strange days in San Francisco back then as well as now.

cheers.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Greggers

Well I had a guy who met my dogs plating thr game. I live on 10 acres and a me home to find a guy in my front tree and my dogs sitting under it waiting g for him to come down. I guess he missed thr no trespassing and beware of dog signs to busy watching his phone. Though I guess the dogs enjoyed the company but Pepsi was looking ay him like she looks at her food bowl so not sure lol. But I'll say I have some neighbors you enter there property you will get shot so this game is dangerous.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: Greggers

Well I had a guy who met my dogs plating thr game. I live on 10 acres and a me home to find a guy in my front tree and my dogs sitting under it waiting g for him to come down. I guess he missed thr no trespassing and beware of dog signs to busy watching his phone. Though I guess the dogs enjoyed the company but Pepsi was looking ay him like she looks at her food bowl so not sure lol. But I'll say I have some neighbors you enter there property you will get shot so this game is dangerous.

Niantic now adds words of caution when the game loads, such as "Do not trespass while playing the game," and "be aware of your surroundings at all times," and "do not play while driving."

People who apply the basic rules of everyday life to their gaming sessions are unlikely to have problems: don't go into strange areas by yourself after dark, don't go into hospitals and other off-limits places after hours (or really, unless you have some legitimate reason to be there, regardless of the hour), etc. etc.

Of course, as always, the problem is that common sense isn't common enough, and some people don't care. Given the huge volume of people playing, I'd say most are doing fine though.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers

I've met more people face-to-face while playing Pokemon Go with my kids in the last two weeks than I had in the previous 6 months (or maybe a year). I walked down the street with a neighbor looking for Dratini. We didn't find it, but we had a good talk. At the local park, there are always groups of people running back and forth, shouting out to one another about the location of this pokemon or that one. For example, some little kid will shout, "It's Gyrados! Over here!" and everyone will go running in that direction, across the field. The little kids get so excited, it's fun to watch.

I also saw a group of teenage boys on Team Mystic literally running from pokestop to pokestop, practically in formation. What a great way to get exercise. And no, you don't have to look at your screen while you're running.

The game is surprisingly social.

I have to agree. I don't play it myself (give me a console and Skyrim any day instead, lol) but two of my twenty-something kids do, and it's got them out there and DOING stuff. Going places, meeting other people who are playing too, having conversations and interactions they would never have otherwise. I think it's forcing our tech-obsessed kids to be MORE social, not less.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
If that were the case, the religious nutjob would have claimed the killing and explained why it had to happen I would think. cant lie and all that.

Unless, his hit-list is all Pokemon Go players and his admittance will only be known once he has killed them all.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join