It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2016's Populist Insurgency Will Be With Us for Years to Come

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Buzzy, what a doll!

I live a pretty insulated life so I had to go to the article to find out just what the Sanders movement people actually want and advocate for. Where I live, there don't seem to be any sanders people. Anyway, this is what I found from the link you provided:

creating good, middle-class jobs through a national program of infrastructure repair and development of the green economy; enacting a $15 minimum wage; removing crushing education debt from the backs of students; coping with the imminent crisis of climate change; repealing the Supreme Court's democracy-destroying Citizens United edict; implementing pay equity for women; stopping the war machine's constant adventurism; expanding Social Security; providing Medicare for all; halting the unjust mass incarceration of African Americans and Latinos; defunding the disastrous drug war; demilitarizing our police forces; replenishing our public treasury by taxing Wall Street speculators; and generally restoring economic fairness, social justice, and equal opportunity for all as central purposes of public policy.

That's all well and good, but there's probably a reason why the Sanders movement found itself in a serious minority situation. Do you know what that reason is?

The single biggest reason? THERE'S NO WAY TO PAY FOR ALL THAT! Well, maybe there is. But it would cripple the country. See the chart at: media.nationalpriorities.org...
Or see charts at: www.nationalpriorities.org...

You might be able to pay for that if you entirely eliminated the budget for the military.
That would make the US very popular with Russia, China, ISIS, and North Korea!

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
In no way, shape, or form could you consider Bernie or any Democrat for the "middle class". They are for the poor and non-working class, and the ultra rich.

The Middle Class got screwed under Obama, and would/will continue to get screwed under Hillary or any Democrat.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
In no way, shape, or form could you consider Bernie or any Democrat for the "middle class". They are for the poor and non-working class, and the ultra rich.

The Middle Class got screwed under Obama, and would/will continue to get screwed under Hillary or any Democrat.

I predict that if we get a president who actually makes it possible for the economy to really boom so that a lot of these disillusioned kids can actually start living their lives, this populist insurgency from the left side of things will die away very quickly.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Nah, as long as the younger demographic is going to school and preparing for the future (especially if they haven't started paying for it yet), they'll be looking for their new cause to support. They only start to become more grounded when they have real accomplishments and responsibility (especially from family). So, good economy or not, college kids studying in the hopes of doing something later, having friends with benefits instead of serious relationships, will be looking for some group accomplishment they can be apart of. Otherwise they'll feel the world isn't theirs yet.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle
That's actually pretty funny, I thought you would have known better. Most laws are to generate capital for the goverment, is that in our interests?

It's in the taxpayers interest. Revenue generated from fines means they don't need to get that money out of taxes. If we did away with all the random revenue generating laws, taxes would increase significantly. If you're against higher taxes you are in essence saying you are for revenue generating fines.

Gmo's and pollution

GMO's are a bit of a sticky issue because of Monsanto lobbying, but if government wasn't involved in that area would there even be a debate? Nothing short of the federal government, and maybe not even them can stand up to Monsanto lawyers. What would happen if they weren't involved at all? And the EPA reduces pollution, that is in the public interest.

Fiat currency and banks producing nothing out of thin air and being paid for it, is that in our interests?

It is, though the fed should be federally controlled.

I know, the income divide, that's in our interest, right? No, very little is done in our interest and only to placate or give some target act to point at. There are directors for politicians and they sure as hell aren't the majority of the constituents.

Cheers - Dave

How would a lack of government involvement fix the income divide? We tried that before, as have other places around the world. It wasn't pretty.

You people really have to stop making excuses for false advertising and bad behavior in government. A tax is a tax is a tax. When I lived in Africa, a case of Canadian club Rye, 12 40 ounce bottles was about $300. I imported a case for just over R125, that's about $6 a bottle, including shipping. So there's another 80% tax, how does that 80% tax benefit me?

Then we look at the states, your taxes aren't quit as bad, but there are still many many hidden taxes. How does collecting those taxes benefit everyday people if 6.5 trillion in tax dollars goes missing from the pentagon. Last time they announced 2 trillion missing was the day before the WTC fell. Wonder what's going to happen tomorrow?

Per Phage, I don't need a citation to show that licence fees, fines, municipal taxes, etc., are collected. I don't need a citation for state, excise, death/inheritance or gambling taxes and fees. I certainly don't need a citation for income tax and other IRS levies. We all know they exist. Used to our benefit, lol, as I just mentioned, 6.5 trillion, TRILLION! Missing or unaccounted for, more than 1/3rd the entire national debt.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 8/8.2016 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

Actually, the structural screwing began under Pres Reagan in the 1980s. Any growth in the US economy would flow to the top and stay there, not "trickle down".

Bernie Revolution ideas would overturn the Reagan Revolution and stop any further Koch Takeover.

The agenda of the Koch brothers is to repeal every major piece of legislation that has been signed into law over the past 80 years that has protected the middle class, the elderly, the children, the sick, and the most vulnerable in this country.

Bernie Sanders on "What Do the Koch Brothers Want?"

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I've wondered that myself. That it's all a protracted melodrama mini-series, scripted like the Jerry Springer show.
Except for this show, they get rich. The Jerry Springer show only gives them a makeover (women) or a carton of cigarettes (men), airfare, and hotel.

I KID YOU NOT.
I called them one day just to mess with them and find out. LOL!!

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

No. Bernie acted like an adult, and kept himself ABOVE the crap going on. He is a hero.
Kasich is okay, too. Turned down the VP offer.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

If people honestly believe that any politician is sincere and honest then you deserve the slavery you're supporting and voting for.

What? See how you are?!!

Jesus. Yes, I believe Bernie is honest and sincere. None of the others except possibly Kasich and Carson (whose bid was doomed from his first appearance...one must appear to be AWAKE to be considered for POTUS. But, maybe he just got so used to wearing those microscope neurosurgery goggles that he automatically almost closes his eyes in bright light? That just occurred to me. Anyway -

edit on 8/8/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

Title mentioned populism, thought it was trump

Brings up progressive bernie.

I am disappoint

and you are type

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Sorry - this thread is about BERNIE. Not Trump. Trump is over in the next room.

As for "populist" not making jellyrev (or you) think of Bernie, but of Trump - see, the article is about the nerdy populace... not the loud, scary, gun-wielding populace....sorry for baiting. It was unintentional.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

*shrug* I can't read your mind nor see into your heart.

But millenials are the main promoters of inane terms like white privilege, safe spaces, micro-aggression and -inequity, cultural appropriation, hetero-normative/cis-gender, rape culture, among others.

No, they are not.
Do you even know any? Have you ever spent a couple of days with one?

No?
My two children are millennials. mid/late twenties. I know tons of others through them and through other organizations.

You are wrong.

The millennials all in for Bernie are the educated ones. They've been online since they can remember. Stop with the pretending you are aware of them personally.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
self-edit

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

Democrats are operating on a different level. We arent arguing whether or not the rules are being broken. We are arguing the validity of the rules themselves. We are also arguing the fact that this nation was built on immigration.

Yes. Exactly.

Thanks. We are further arguing about which is the least injurious of the consequences for everyone involved.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Oh my goodness..

this thread exploded after I had signed off! Sheesh.

Now I wish I'd read all the way through before making any more posts at all.
But I did.

And so I got to TrueBrit's post (the long way), and he was indeed a star contributor here.
Then it really went down the toilet with childish fourth-grade poo-flinging.

Look - I'm sorry that you all Bernie haters and Hillary haters and Trump haters all have your shorts wedgied - but the only way to go now is forward. You all are so off-topic regarding that!!

We have to move forward. Stop shoving!! Crazy mob behavior NEVER HELPS.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
self edit off topic

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to: Aazadan

It's in the taxpayers interest. Revenue generated from fines means they don't need to get that money out of taxes. If we did away with all the random revenue generating laws, taxes would increase significantly. If you're against higher taxes you are in essence saying you are for revenue generating fines.

And to think, those coffers would be brim-full if only marijuana and the lottery were allowed to thrive!

BOOCOO bucks. The big bucks club. It's just so stupid that Puritan residue keeps states from benefiting from the FACT that people like to gamble, they like to smoke weed, they like to do lots of "naughty" things that HURT NO ONE ELSE......

and there are billions ( "beaucoup" is the actual spelling) -- money waiting to be made. But uptight people refuse. So, it all goes underground. Speak-easies. Prohibition - IT DOES NOT WORK. Not with sex, not with ANYTHING.

And what do the states that allow such things (and earn revenue for allowing them) get called?
Progressive.
Yes.

So everyone losing sleep about "vice" needs to stop whining about not having revenue if you all are not allowing your citizens to spend money that you can be aware of.
It's stupid.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join