It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the things we can all agree on

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: DonVoigt

1 I'm guessing that your talking about paying off terrorist nations ransom for kidnapping American citizens.

A. Why would you assume I'm in favor of paying people who kill us? I'm not. Making assumptions about others has undoubtedly limited your social capacity.

2 e verify responsible citizens report their employers for hiring illegal immigrants, illegal immigrants get fired or businesses owners lose their license to do business. Deny them any kind of government funding for anything, they self deport because they can't freeload off of us anymore.

B. How many years do you think it would take, using your way, for all of the 11+ million illegals to be filtered out of society? Who's going to pay for the enforcement of your policies? Would those individuals be federal government employees?

3 parents take personal responsibility for raising their children, children grow up to become good people, some people will still be bad but the problem gets better.

C. Taking personal responsibility doesn't just happen, like a flip of a switch. It's part of education. It comes from being part of a society, as opposed to being marginalized. If you're talking about increasing the education budget, and augmenting social programs to promote responsible behavior, I'm all for it.

4 yes only a minority of people in this country believe in changing it, that's why the minority of people who want it change it keep trying to chip away at it.

D. I think the majority of American favor strickter gun laws - at least that's what many independent surveys indicate. Of course, those surveys are usually discredited by the NRA, and gun manufacturers, which then spend millions on influencing our government into working for their interests as opposed to the American peoples' interests. But hey, that's a conspiracy that even ATS won't touch.

5 another issue of personal responsibility by politicians. Only people who can't stand on their platform resort to mudslinging

E . As I said, mudslinging is subjective. Who decides what constitutes mudslinging? If a Politician gets a DUI, and I call her a drunk, am I mudslinging? Does it make a difference if the politician that gets arrested is an 'R' or a 'D'? Does it matter if I'm an 'R' or 'D'?

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TownCryer

A
It's still not clear what you had intended by that statement, but I do think you are misinformed of my social capacity.

B
I really don't think it would take that long for them to self deport once their free ride has been taken away from them. As well once others see that they are leaving the rest would follow, at least that's what I believe.

C
As a matter of fact I am in favor of reorganizing social programs, I think we can do better than the corrupt system we have right now.

D.
If it were a majority as you say by "polls" it would have already happened by choice.

E
Making notice of someone's criminal record is not mudslinging, calling someone a racist when they are not is, no it does not matter to me weather you are D, R, I, G, if you have a good idea I will agree with it, not only will I agree with it I stand at your side promoting it.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DonVoigt

D.
If it were a majority as you say by "polls" it would have already happened by choice.

'Polls', as I think your air-quotes suggest, can be unreliable. Their findings can be influenced by those doing the polling. No doubt. And of course the interpretation of findings is also inexact. But, I think it's been made obvious throughout our history, money does talk. And it's generally recognized that one of, if not THE largest lobbying group in D.C. is the NRA. If one can imaging money influencing a politician, one must acknowledge the potential influence the largest spenders posses.

E
Making notice of someone's criminal record is not mudslinging, calling someone a racist when they are not is, no it does not matter to me weather you are D, R, I, G, if you have a good idea I will agree with it, not only will I agree with it I stand at your side promoting it.

Well, the whole idea of racism can be looked at as a subjective premise. What sounds racist to one, may not sound racist to another. Assuming you're talking about Trump, there are several videoed accounts of him calling out individuals based one thier race, which is at least one definition of 'racism'.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TownCryer

D
Agreed, money does influence the outcome of things like that, and agreed that polling does also get influenced by those doing the polling, but I have to say that the media doing the polling is not exactly on the up and up either.

E
Absolutely agreed, but some statements, get skewed by the media, but in the case of Hilary, she openly defended that one senators membership in the KKK which I found to be immensely offensive.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This is something my cousin Christa posted on Facebook about a month ago, we grew up in the historic Pullman neighborhood, point of fact, my cousin Christa is of Hispanic heritage.

I grew up on 113th & Cottage Grove in a neighborhood called "Historic Pullman On the far SouthSide of Chicago" in our fair city of Chicago! During a time when everyone treated each other like family. We went outside to play, knocking on each other's doors (which were row houses all connected) not texting or messaging on social media..we got dirty and we ate whatever was cooked....we ate Hiene's Chicken, Hot Dogs from the stand at the edge of town, McD's. we appreciated fried bologna sandwiches, we got penny candy from Teds, Joe's store and Bob Sugar Bowl. Rabbit foot key chains, toxic balloons before everyone warned you about Cancer daily. We played games in the street like "cops and robbers", "red rover." When we could get our hands on a monkey wrench we turned on the fire hydrant at the corner of 113th & Langley and made our own waterfall with a board and a tire. We weren't AFRAID OF ANYTHING BUT STRAY DOGS (and most of them knew us, and left us alone). If someone had a fight, that's what it was a fist fight..kids didn't have guns when I grew up. Race wasn't an issue at least I don't remember it like what we see today. We played and respected one another no matter what color. Stop the H8! When the street lights came on you knew the end of another fun day was almost over, you went home to wake up the next day to have more fun. School was mandatory. We watched our mouths around our elders because we knew If you DISRESPECTED any grown up you're gonna get HIT with whatever's close by. Re-post with your block if you're proud that you came from a close knit community and will never forget where you came from! Let me add that we had a block parties on various blocks, watched movies at the PCO (Pullman Civic Organization) went to Six Flags as a neighborhood, played marbles and ding dong ditch, went to day camp, had a Football Team (Pullman Boys). We all joined together like a family to talk, laugh, play. With our neighborhood only being 4 blocks north and south and 4 blocks east and west we all knew nearly every single person in every home and it was the best neighborhood to grow up in. I wouldn't want to be raised anywhere else! We were so fortunate!
#CopyAndPaste

Life was really like that back then, when she posted that it almost made me cry.
edit on Wed20168V201658831 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
That was a touching post by your cousin, I wish I could have grown up in that type of environment. Perhaps it was like that in Chicago but in Texas where I grew up....

Neighbor hoods were segregated into "Queen City" black, "mescan town" hispanic with overt racism. It's still the same.

It almost makes me cry.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join