It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the things we can all agree on

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I agree with many of your points but I had to take issue with this

Crime There is to much crime in this country, especially from the younger generation, and we agree that it is the parents fault, not society's fault for this degradation in our society.

Crime is statistically dropping in this country and it has been since the 90's. To say that the younger generations are to blame is misreading the problem in my opinion. I do agree that the onus of responsibility lays with the parents.

I also don't think we should stop all immigration. We should however vehemently enforce already present laws and deport those that seek to come here outside the laws.

When it comes to economic issues and foreign aid/borrowing, we must as they say "take care of our own house first."

Perceptions on crime

FBI page on crime
edit on 7-8-2016 by Seiko because: edit to add links.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Seiko

He didn't say crime was all on the younger generation. Everyone has or had parents from the very youngest of us to the very oldest.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

No Hillary is. As I said, she misuses the term.

Technically the statement is meant for smaller communities.

Mostly though, here is the issue, we're talking two different things here. Parents are responsible for the care and basic raising of the child. There is no argument there. But when we're talking about WHY kids are growing up with certain issues to lay the blame only on the parents is a cop out, as it ignores all the other factors that go into who a child becomes.

You can't fix a problem if you ignore factors that are part of it.

All the things I mentioned play a part in who we grow up to be, anything that negatively affects any of those factors negatively affects who we become. By blaming just the parents, we're giving a pass to everything else.
edit on 8/7/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

He didn't say crime was all on the younger generation. Everyone has or had parents from the very youngest of us to the very oldest.

Not all but he said "especially from..."

I'm just pointing out that maybe we're actually doing better then we perceive. It might just be a nitpick.
edit on 7-8-2016 by Seiko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

You can take 2 families.

Each raise their child differently.

You have 1 external influence (the village) and each child, will receive that external stimulus differently because they were raised differently.

The parent(s) have the immediate impact on not only raising their child, but how they perceive the outside influences.

Not all outside influences will have the same effect.

If one family raises heir child as Pepsi, and another raises their child as water. . . . .

And you introduce a Mentos to each child, they will react differently to the exact same outside stimulus.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

You're ignoring nature, two children could be raised exactly the same and end up complete different by nature alone even if every single other factor was identical.

Also do you honestly think that a child learns no lessons while apart from their parents? Parents play a major part, but they can't hold their child's hand through life.

If our water is filled with lead, it affects the child, nothing parents can do to fix that, if the FDA is allowing for poisoned foods to enter our, you know what, never mind, keep your oversimplification, it's silly to think forces outside the family unit are irrelevant, but I'm not arguing this, it's just too damn silly.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Agreed, crime has been dropping overall, but we still need to do better, and I agree that immigration should continue, but it should be by the law

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Yes, and that impact is both conscious and unconscious. Children are little pitchers. They see and they hear even when you aren't intending them to. They drink in everything you say and do, how you act, how you treat others, etc., whether you are actively instructing them or not.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

And you are likewise oversimplifying.

You cannot blame the environment alone for everything. Two parents in a stable, loving relationship are the most important part of any child's environment.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I think the problem we have is that people are expecting equal outcomes from variables that aren't the same.

Not all parents are the same.
Not all children are the same.

But there is a drive, an impetus to make everything uniform.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
At this point I would like to thank everyone for making this thread what I hoped it would be, and I hope we can all continue to find common ground that we can all believe in.
to everyone

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

How'm I oversimplifying I'm saying parents are the biggest factor but far from the only, while everyone else keeps placing impossible blame on the parents for everything the child ever learns from the world around them.

Also seeing as parents are so important, what's the effect of a society where even when two parents live together they are stuck both working and often opposite shifts just to maintain a living?

Parents can barely spend time with their kids even IF in a loving relationship if they can even find time to maintain one.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DonVoigt

Funny thing about common ground is that people differ on what that is.

Common ground isn't that common.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Yes but working toward the best we can do is a good thing. I'm an emotional AND intelligent person, and sometimes I say and do stupid things, but some of my best ideas have come from some of my biggest mistakes. This is how we learn and grow into better people.
edit on Sun20168V201645931 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: DonVoigt

Yes but is working toward the best we can do is a good thing. I'm an emotional AND intelligent person, and sometimes I say and do stupid things, but some of my best ideas have come from some of my biggest mistakes. This is how learn and grow into better people.

I agree. I'm not trying to be a smartass.

It's just that in order to find common ground, perhaps we should start by defining it.
edit on 7-8-2016 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Well, I think common ground are the things we can all agree on, it may never come together in perfect harmony, but like I said we're doing the best we can. As well I think we should also share a spirit of compromise.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: DonVoigt

Well, I think common ground are the things we can all agree on, it may never come together in perfect harmony, but like I said we're doing the best we can. As well I think we should also share a spirit of compromise.

I don't think we are "doing the best we can" we're still a tribal species and afraid of anything different than our immediate milieu. That's why you see so many special interest groups, cults, ghettos, gated communities, sub cultures, religions, fashion/styles, sports teams, etc.

Sorry to be so contentious but culturally we are a hot mess. No spirit of compromise in a society where winning is the only thing that matters.

....as a society we are still babies and you know how babies are. Selfish and me first. We might grow culturally eventually if we don't out technology ourselves into the mushroom cloud. And as a betting man I put my money on an eventual nuclear holocaust. 12 seconds to midnight.

The hippies had the right idea but didn't have enough marketing savy to carry it thru and was co-oped by special interests.

Everyday a party for this old hippy.
edit on 7-8-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Not at this particular moment are we doing the best we can, I can agree with that. As I said earlier, some of my best ideas came from some of my biggest mistakes, and I think that on the pendulum we are in a mistake mode, and I hope as a society we ALL learn from the mistakes that are being made now, and as the pendulum swings the other way we make the correct choices, the best we can.
edit on Sun20168V2016321031 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

That's because people make a lot of money of off telling other people what should tick them off.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

That's because people make a lot of money of off telling other people what should tick them off.

You got something against Capitalism, and people making money? Free speech and exchange of ideas is what this country was founded on and free enterprise is part of that package.

Surely you don't favor censorship; or do you? As stupid as I think the public is; I'm all for letting them make up their own mind.

If you're unhappy with the current state of media affairs, start your own LLC production company and produce a public access cable channel. The Media is still open to anyone willing to put in the effort.

Start here

www.celtx.com... join us!

edit on 7-8-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join