It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the things we can all agree on

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Over the last year, I have had many debates with my friend Anthony. I am a white male, he is a black male. We are both in our late 40s. We are both independent, I lean toward conservative, he leans toward liberal. We went to IT school together and are network engineers. Our debates have us standing by our beliefs which land somewhere in the middle, and have never once become angry heated arguments. They are the most spectacular debates I have ever had with anyone.

Economic responsibility
We both believe that economic responsibility is an absolute imperative for our government. We as the taxpayers desire that the government be responsible with our tax dollars.

Social programs
We both believe that many of the social programs that help the poor and lower class(financially) deserve help to lift them to a higher standard of living.

War
We both believe that our government should not be waging any kind of wars anywhere around the world without the support of the majority of the United Nations standing behind this decision.

Financial aid to other countries
We both believe that all financial aid to other countries should be suspended until we have corrected our own economy.

Immigration
We both agree that immigration should be stopped until we remove all illegal immigrants from our country, and that all immigration should be following the laws that are already on the books.

Police state
We both agree, being from Chicago, that the police have abused their powers and should be required to wear body cameras, and that that footage should be available on independent review websites for all Americans to review at any time.

Crime
There is to much crime in this country, especially from the younger generation, and we agree that it is the parents fault, not society's fault for this degradation in our society.

Gun control
Live by the original writing of the second amendment, scrap everything after that. If a person commits a crime their rights should be suspended until they have paid their debt to society, and then returned to them as the voting rights here in Illinois are. Everyone has the right to defend themselves. An armed society is a polite society.

Political mudslinging
Political mudslinging should be absolutely banned in the public arena. Stand by your platform and your policies, we believe that this is what Americans really care about. Now we both like to make jokes, but we never take it to personally because we realize that there are things that can be joked about from both sides.

If there is anything that I've missed feel free to add it to the list because Anthony and myself may have alreadyy debated it, these are just the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: DonVoigt

Immigration We both agree that immigration should be stopped until we remove all illegal immigrants from our country, and that all immigration should be following the laws that are already on the books.

The immigration question is the "Trump" card..
The world is being raped by a evil cult protected by a two tongue snake called Islam, because most people are afraid the mess around with religious masses, Trump is not.

Or you could ask..

Do you want a good relationship with Russia, ending the cold war ? -------Trump
Or do you want to provoke Russia into WW3 -----Hillary

edit on 7-8-2016 by Spacespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Sorry my man, but I don't believe for a minute that somebody that you say is more or less a "liberal" would ever agree on some of these points, especially those w/regard to gun control, crime, immigration and financial aid to other countries.

That being said: good to see that someone here tries to find common ground somehow..

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Maybe if parents were allowed to spend time with their kids they could raise them better.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Economic responsibility
We both believe that economic responsibility is an absolute imperative for our government. We as the taxpayers desire that the government be responsible with our tax dollars.

This is a good statement. The problem here is the details. What one side sees as "responsible," the other side will not. For example, the left thinks it perfectly responsible to simply provide "free" health care, "free" college, etc., to anyone and everyone, and many on the more right leaning side of the spectrum think that is a wasteful use of the money. Many on the left think we should pare down our military to the level of most European social democracies, while most of the right think that would be insane ... and the list goes on.

Social programs
We both believe that many of the social programs that help the poor and lower class(financially) deserve help to lift them to a higher standard of living.

This I disagree with to a certain extent. If you are truly unable to do for yourself, then, yes, a compassionate society would see to it that you are kept in decent circumstances. However, if you would be otherwise able to do for yourself but made choices in your life that now prevent you: drug use, refused to get educated, etc., you do not "deserve" anything from any one who does work hard for what they have. That money should be kept for those who truly cannot.

Now, if you have made mistakes and want to improve, I would like to help you do that, but this is a two-way process and involves effort on both sides. There is no "deserve" involved. Only earning.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

And therein lies the problem, one person's inability to believe that both sides can share a point of view

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
Maybe if parents were allowed to spend time with their kids they could raise them better.

Maybe if kids had two parents to begin with ... it might be easier?

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You're right, the devil is in the details, but I'm willing to make compromise, just as Anthony was for the sake of the greater good

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Maybe if parent's had time to be together they'd be able to stay together?

This is fun. Love the question innuendo game.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I would hope that we could all agree that the US shouldn't be borrowing money at interest from private banking cartels that don't have the money to begin with.

I would also hope that we could all agree that justice shouldn't be a multi-tiered system. There should be no such thing as too big to fail or too big to jail. The justice you receive in court shouldn't depend on how much money you have or how high your position is in the government.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
You and your friend seem reasonable,unfortunately most lefties on this site will call you both neocons, because of your immigration, 2nd amendment, and foreign aid stances.

link   

People just want to live their lives. They want food to eat, a roof over their head, they want to feel safe in their homes.

It's "HOW" those things are achieved that we differ.

link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Nice sentiment except many parents these days were never together to begin with.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Blaming just the parents is silly, I'm sure you agree with that.

I hate to share a sentiment with Hillary (though she misuses the phrase) but it takes a village to raise a child.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I disagree.

It takes; time, caring, patience, love, understanding, forgiveness, discipline, tears, sweat, sacrifice. . .

To raise a child.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

OK there is something Anthony agrees with me on, awesome add to this thread

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

We are the products of our environment. Parents are one part of that. So are their friends, their actual physical environment, their standard of living, their nature, their educators, their experiences, their interactions with strangers, what propaganda they are exposed to, etc.

We try to oversimplify #.

Our country is sick, this has a direct effect on everyone, as this harms multiple aspects of a child's growth.

Blaming it all on parents is a ridiculous oversimplification.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

If the parents aren't solely responsible, then you run the risk of outside agencies trying to raise your child.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

We're talking about two different things. There's a difference between legal custodial responsibility, and actual responsibility.

You can say it belongs entirely on the parents, but that's a delusional view of reality, as the only way that would be possible is if the child was kept in a cage never exposed to the outside world.

We're a product of our environment, as children we are the legal responsibility of the parents, who pay a large role in, but not the only role in who we become.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I don't want to ever attribute any responsibility to "the village" because you run the risk of ideological differences between "the village" and the parent.

And lets face it, when we speak of "the village" we're actually talking about government.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join