It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kepler's 'Alien Megastructure' Star Just Got Weirder

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

That's why I'm thinking that there are "clouds" of something orbiting Tabby star. But that's not imaginative enough is it.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   

It may not be a Dyson Sphere under construction, but that doesn't rule out a super structure. Imagine if you will a type of "mother" ship that can move and is being expanded on. Perhaps even moving to compensate various sun based "weathers" to stay where energy is best acquired and avoid more hostile sun weather patterns.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

How about the idea of a massive space fleet convoy instead of clouds or comet swarms? It might be hostile out there and Tabby's star is the backdrop to a trading route? In that sense, we're seeing the occasional transits of massive groups of spacecraft on their way to and from other market places.

a reply to: Puppylove

I posted a thread on this a while ago. It's exciting stuff and a group of scientists have been scanning the stars for signatures of Dyson Spheres and other variations.

In Search of Dyson Spheres and Mortality
edit on 8.7.2016 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

It may not be a Dyson Sphere under construction, but that doesn't rule out a super structure. Imagine if you will a type of "mother" ship that can move and is being expanded on. Perhaps even moving to compensate various sun based "weathers" to stay where energy is best acquired and avoid more hostile sun weather patterns.

Although I don't favour any for of structure as the answer; it's open season and nobody knows what is going on. If you want to think 'super structure,' it's cool because it could be almost anything at this point.

I think it'll turn out to be something to do with the star itself and how stable it is.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Do we have to copy/paste our conversations from this thread into the almost duplicate one created tonight?
REF: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Awesome thread thanks for the link!

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Perhaps an artificial intelligence has taken over their solar system and built itself something like the replicators from StarGate.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 04:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk
I never got this, a Dysons Sphere encompasses its host star to maintain life and create energy from within.....surely we would never see such a star as it would be completely surrounded?

I would be more inclined to think that there is just more rocks orbiting it than what we think, just because we have 8 planets and a bunch of smaller rocks in our solar system doesn't mean to say another couldn't have a whole heap more?

In fact, given that we are discovering more object beyond Pluto, even the possibility of planet-sized ones, makes this seem more likely.

I think the idea is that its a dyson sphere, in the process of construction. So, thats why its not completely dimmed or blacked out from view.

Also, there are other tgpes of structures that theoretically absorb a stars energy that do not fully encase a star. Perhaps this civilizations needs do not require a complete encasement of "solar panels". Look up the many types that have been envisioned, type in Dyson Swarm, using an image search, will give you an idea...

Could be, as this civilization grows, they add more panels/satellites/etc...

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   
It's not a star, it's acually a pinhole into someone else's universe/room.

The dips in luminosity is just when someone wanders past, blocking off the light.

Because if it is lifeforms in reality, they've likely spotted us and im not sure that's good.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: asen_y2k
So what do you guys think?

I think that explaining something with something we don't even know exists is not an explanation.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Morse code!

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

You must be awesome in a brainstorming session

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
It could be an artificial star. Fluorescent lights flicker and dim.I read about a concept project whose goal was to ignite the atmosphere of a gas giant, thus creating an artificial star. I'm not saying its that easy, but the idea is already here. Otherwise megastructure could be likely. It could be a space station, or a manufacturing facility.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
You must be awesome in a brainstorming session

It depends on the topic.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

hello all
"warped" space produces lensing could this in a way in part or whole explain the randomness of the dimming
just wondering if i am totally off the mark please tell me

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: rabbidsquriel

From the little I know about it, I don't think it would dim the light.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Could it be a star devouring space debris, comets or planets close by?
Every time it consumes something it lights up, when its not "eating" it dims.

It would explain the irregularity of the dimming/sp.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It could just be a star that is dying, slowly running out of fuel, and dimming in the process....

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
While it could be something fantastic like a super-structure, it may simply be an anomalous effect astronomers haven't seen until now. There are probably millions or even billions of amazing and natural phenomena we on our little planet hasn't witnessed yet. We are still discovering those in our own solar system, so it's not a stretch to think they are simply seeing something new (to us).

Also people talk as if Dyson Spheres or other massive structures are feasible, reasonable, or even possible. We don't even begin to know. It's still hypothesis, and the #s don't really support it. For example.. one study in regards to destroying Mercury for the raw materials to just build solar collectors, would take 120 trillion years to gain back the energy spent trying to build the things in the first place.

I'll admit I would wish and hope for it to be something like a Dyson sphere or bubble or some variant of that structure.. just think it's a early to jump to that conclusion.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: asen_y2k

As I explained in the prior thread here (Tabby's Star....), we can explain the dimming if we allow that an object, evidently a space ship, is coming directly toward us and at times is blocking to some extent the normal light from that star that reaches us. If that were to be true, we can expect the dimming to continue until the approaching object/ship totally obscures the star.

This explanation is several degrees less than the wilder talk of a Dyson Sphere which is only a concept and not a simple explanation as I offer. The alternative explanation also being discussed is a band of comets milling around the star. That also is a poor concept given that cometary bodies that we know are relatively small, move swiftly and carry little coma when any distant from our sun. At it stands, my explanation is the most simple...simple-minded some will surely say.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join