It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A friendly reminder. The Smith-Mundt Act is still repealed.

page: 1

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Just wanted to remind everyone out there in ATS land that the repeal of the Smith Mundt Act means the media and the government can lie and manipulate us to their pretty little black hearts content with no legal ramifications.

The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013 (section 1078 (a)) amended the US Information and Educational Exchange Act of 1948 and the Foreign Relations Authorization Act of 1987, allowing for materials produced by the State Department and the Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG) to be released within U.S. borders for the Archivist of the United States.
Both sides are engaged in these acts and we need to be diligent while assimilating this information. As Americans we have never had to deal with this kind of blatant force fed political propaganda before. Sure it's always been there lurking in the shadows. But this is on a different level.

I have tried to research my sources to the best of my ability and confirm the information I post here is as correct and up to date as possible. But I see multiple threads daily that do very little to vet the information presented. Just because it came from fox, cnn, msnbc, politico, washington post, etc, etc, etc doesn't make it so. The media has the worst approval rating in it's history and we must always assume there is a narrative they are pushing and agenda they are filling.

Now back to your regular government sanctioned programming.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
You make a good point, Jay.

Excellent thread.

We all know the media is full of bull#.
But I think we forget that it's government mandated bull#.

We bicker daily about "sources".

Face it, we're being lied to left, right & centre.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

The differences remain.

Some will acknowledge the lie and embrace it, while others will be disgusted with the lie.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I remember when that changed and I've been warning people ever since. Not many know or really care it seems. Only the people I know that have their ear to the ground remember or understand.
edit on 6-8-2016 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Oh yea, I drop that reference every chance I get. I keep it close, so I never forget

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Excellent reminder.

This should be brought up at least once a week.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I don't know, seems to me that the propaganda has been going on for decades for everybody anyway, by all never mind 2013.
Might even be useful, if you wanted to glean information on say, SDI as being a cheat sheet..or not.

OOPs! I forgot the good bits,

Propaganda et al,
bawehali.files.wordpress.com...
edit on 6-8-2016 by smurfy because: More Newts in the worksssss.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

They've manipulated public opinion through the press for hundreds of years.

Nothing new under the Sun there.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
While maybe nothing new, this is still a good reminder.

Also having something like this in your back pocket with a quick link to proof is a good way to remind your friends and family you're not ALWAYS a paranoid conspiracy theorist ALL the time..just most of the time 😉

Proof is in the pudding and this is the pudding that says it's no longer illegal to spit lies and propaganda.. So slide it on down your throat holes and tell me how good it feels.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I do find it amusing in a historical sense that just about all governments give the appearance of legality by making some of the most despicable acts legal..

If we lie to a government there are usually drastic consequences, yet they can lie to us .... all legal unless they are caught red handed.... then the voices rise up but nothing really happens unless it is a lateral job transfer (probably for more money)...

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

So this was a result of something from NDAA for Fiscal year 2013 but based on the language is still in effect to this day? Will this "expire" at anytime??

posted on Feb, 16 2022 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I think we all need this reminder again. All the lies are legally ok thanks to this. Covid, the beheadings, Russia etc....legalized propaganda thanks to the "modernization" of the Smith Mundt act from Obama in 2012. Sounds like a great idea. 1947 , perhaps when politicians acutely cared about the American people.

new topics

top topics

join