It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy (sort of) birthday, World Wide Web!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Twenty-five years ago, the first public website went live.

The World Wide Web was actually conceived in 1989 by computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee. He wrote a proposal at research institute CERN for a "global hypertext" system, and later developed some very important technology still well known by their acronyms, HTML, HTTP and URLs.

The first website

Link

Today is a landmark anniversary for Tim Berners-Lee. In March 1989 he wrote a proposal to his employers at CERN for a somewhat abstract "global hypertext" system he called Mesh. A year later he re-named that system the World Wide Web. It caught on.
A quarter of a century later, Berners-Lee is like a proud father, seeing his baby all grown up and making its way in the world without him.
"I feel a certain amount of inventor's pride," he tells CNN. "My greatest pride has been the spirit of collaboration we've had for the last 25 years."

Link

I imagine a few around here who remember the early days (I do). It became a large part of my work and life.

News, information and communication has evolved dramatically due to the internet and the applications running on it.

I give it marks for major cool and a generally positive effect on society.
edit on 8/6/2016 by roadgravel because: fix link

join