It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart's $250 Billion Commitment to America

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I was referring to the big Italian/French fashion houses. $800-900 shoes for under $100, $500 jeans for $50, stuff like that.

Yes, once in a while a local Marshall's or thrift store will have those uber-spendy things -- $5,000 wedding gowns, designer bags and so forth.....

I've acquired a few Stone Mountain items, and other things that will last forever.....

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
never been a fashion hound. I know a young woman from Manhattan, though who is all about that. Latest fashion. Rooftop parties. Penthouse apartments. Manor houses. Citibank dad.

I don't think I could ever be seriously attracted to a woman like this. I'd keep feeling too insecure that she was with me for my money as opposed to because she loved me. I'd want to be assured that she'd stay with me in case I lost everything and became destitute.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Yes, once in a while a local Marshall's or thrift store will have those uber-spendy things -- $5,000 wedding gowns, designer bags and so forth.....

So is that a 'no, I don't want to go shopping with Augie'?

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I was referring to the big Italian/French fashion houses. $800-900 shoes for under $100, $500 jeans for $50, stuff like that.

I've acquired a few Stone Mountain items, and other things that will last forever.....

My cousin does this all the time. Thrift shops at thrift stores near high end neighborhoods. She ends up with lots of nice clothes for cheap that way.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It sounds nice.. and it is but I'm afraid it's a too little too late. The US has been intentionally sabotaged for decades already.

Some of you have probably seen that documentary where they diagnose corporations and they end up fitting the description of psychopaths. I wonder how the World would look if the intent of all corporations were to serve humanity instead of acting like psychopaths ruining everything they touch.

Responsibility, philanthropy and humanitarianism instead of profit at all costs.

This could stop both environmental destruction, poverty and could probably increase technological progress. I don't know if this is an awfully naive idea or if it's doable to some extent but I think there might be something to it.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It's really the most sensible thing to do.
Proven quality and style.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

Responsibility, philanthropy and humanitarianism instead of profit at all costs.

Yeah! I memorized that song, too! Been sharing it for years.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

So is that a 'no, I don't want to go shopping with Augie'?

Sure, I'd like to go shopping. I just wouldn't be able to buy much. Transportation and lodging have to bear the majority of the expense load. Plus, I'd be a bohemian girl walking around in a fancy shop. Could be humiliating. Doesn't bother me when I'm here (because people are nice), but in NYC area?

You don't understand. More like a girl from the bronx or queens, maybe? I know this one girl from Jersey - she's got a mouth and an attitude and dresses like "The Nanny" (Fran Drescher - wow, her name just popped into my head). I'm so not like that.

I can dress up, and I know sophisticated table manners and all that - proper etiquette - manners and small talk and handshaking and chair-pulling-outing and napkin lap and knife faces inward and upside down fork and served on the left, removed on the right......

I can hang...I just can't afford to actually buy things for that. When I do that, it's acting. Once in a lifetime kind of thing. You shoulda seen me at the Opening Night of the Phantom of the Opera, though! I was all short black velvet dress, rhinestone jewelry, grecian bun, gorgeous shoes, gloves.......

it's fun. Like having a wedding. Those are fun, too.
edit on 8/10/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

She couldn't stand it herself! But that's another story. She got away. I'll just say that.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

There's no mafia?

No. You gots a problem wit dat?

OOOoohhhhh!!!! LOL!!! Sorry. Now I get it.

LOL!! Laughing at myself....
see what I mean? Kinda, well, Midwestern.
Educated, and mannerly, but --- Midwestern. My daughter was an 'anomaly' at her school - mostly East Coast or overseas 1%er kids. But being immersed in their culture (even in a sorority!) taught her (and me!) a lot.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I think you are watching too much television, no one in Manhattan gives a crap what you wear when you go shopping. Salespeople are not going to risk losing a potential big sale over pretentiousness.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Weird, I never watch television.

But yeah - some things intimidate me.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I think you are watching too much television, no one in Manhattan gives a crap what you wear when you go shopping. Salespeople are not going to risk losing a potential big sale over pretentiousness.

Never know if that bum that just came through your door just came into big money or not. Might be looking for a whole new wardrobe. Right, right? $$$$$$

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

That, and, I was thinking more about Pretty Woman --- walking into an upscale boutique and having the suspicious eyebrow-arch as your greeting.

This just now occurred to me - like a light-bulb:
It happens to white people navigating the 1% world just as much as it does to black shoppers at Walmart! It is profiling.
Just a different level.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Oh, hey - you guys - I think this circumstance might explain my mood ----
I am currently reading Amy Poehler's book

Yes Please

And it is like a description of my life and personality.
Any of you watch Parks & Rec? Yeah.

Just saying, as awesome and hilarious as I am, I'm still not as snooty as Eagleton people!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
Never know if that bum that just came through your door just came into big money or not. Might be looking for a whole new wardrobe. Right, right? $$$$$$

It reminds me of the guy who was running errands and was dressed grungily. He went into his bank to have them validate a parking stub and they said no. He went home, cleaned up, went back and pulled his $1,000,000 out.

In sales I learned to judge the opportunity by several more aspects than its initial appearance.

edit on 10-8-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Though that example does kind of demonstrate an example of such stupidity and judgements happening.

The business sense of some people can be surprising. I've seen surprisingly stupid behavior by businesses before.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I found the story:

"She told me the bank only validated parking tickets when a customer made a transaction and that cashing a check wasn't a transaction," said Barrier. The millionaire said he asked the teller to call a bank manager, who also refused.

"He looked me up and down and stood back and gave me one of those kinds of looks," said Barrier, turning up his nose to imitate the manager.

"I said, 'Fine, you don't need me and I don't need you."'

Barrier withdrew all his money and took it down the street to Seafirst Bank.

"The first check he brought me was for $1 million," said Dennis Veter, vice president of Seafirst's main Spokane branch. "You'd never know by looking at him, but you or I should be so lucky." Source

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Right? I've seen a vid like that - a guy dressed like a pants-sagging hoody-wearing thug comes on to a girl, and she turns him down. A cleaner-cut guy comes up in a Mazeratti and gets out and comes on to her, and she responds. Then the grungy guy comes out, pays the valet, gets in his Mazeratti, and leaves.

Classic.

Oh yeah! Just remembered: Gus - when we were driving up to Summit from Denver, we had to stop in Idaho Springs - and there was a Ferarri with temporary (brand new purchase) tag - fueling up and on the highway heading up to Eisenhower tunnel. It reminded me of the guy who owned the resort where I worked in Dillon - I was the office manager, and the owner's son used to race up there in a Pantera, never getting caught because he would go too fast.....

a black Pantera, like Batman, and he parked in the lower garage. LOL!!!!!

Egan was his name.

Anyway - I thought of that, and then I thought of YOU!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
You've both inspired me, if by some miracle I ever strike it rich, I'm going to do all my big transactions dressed like I just crawled out of a cardboard box driving the grungiest looking car I can find.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join